A wifi app to contol yr TV remote from anywhere

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @PeaceLily54 and welcome to Talking Point. I am pleased that you have already found useful advice to help you.
You said that in the past your mum has wandered out of the house. It might be a good idea to see if your local police operate the Herbert Protocol which is designed to help locate people with dementia.

PeaceLily54

Aug 17, 2023
Hullo! Further update on the Link. I purchased one from Amazon, brother helped me set it up but what I found was that I can't actually see the channels on my phone - I assumed I would see a reflection of what is on TV so that I can see what channel I am changing to-especially now that I have also purchased the Amazon Firestick too. Does anyone have any ideas? My partner suggested positioning a mirror opposite the TV so that I can see via the camera I installed in the lounge. It's not ideal but I can't think of any other way.... confused.🤷‍♀️

PeaceLily54

Aug 17, 2023
Hello @PeaceLily54 and welcome to Talking Point. I am pleased that you have already found useful advice to help you.
You said that in the past your mum has wandered out of the house. It might be a good idea to see if your local police operate the Herbert Protocol which is designed to help locate people with dementia.
Hi, yes it's on my list of To Do's. cheers :)

spirituscorpus

Sep 4, 2023
There used to be a couple of devices that allowed remote controlling of TV's.
One was something called a Slingplayer which I think has now been discontinued though you may still be able to pick one up on Ebay.

The other is a Logitech Harmony Hub.

I have both and the problem with these type of devices is that they rely on external servers which, if not particularly profitable, then a decision can be made to shut them down.

I currently have mum's TV hooked upto a Harmony Hub but it's very hit and miss.

One work around is maybe an Alexa TV with a separate speaker (not really sure how Alexa tv's work).

You could send a voice message via the standard Alexa speaker telling the TV to change channels and it should work (in theory)

Lesley01

Nov 25, 2023
I’ve just set up a BroadLink Smart Home Hub, RM Mini3 Smart Wi-Fi Universal Remote Control for my mum. I bought it on Amazon £22.99. We both live in the UK and I can control her TV and set top box from my home. I’m going to buy a camera so I can see her TV because she has difficulty explaining what she can see on the TV when she thinks it’s broken. It’s not broken she just can’t understand what to do with the remote control anymore.
Will this work for Sky tv I have the same issue for my mum fingers crossed it will thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ian.Hogan