A week before Mums death, her Alzeimhers seemed to disappear!

AngieDee

Oct 27, 2015
Hi, my Mum died three weeks ago, approx one week before she died, it was almost like the Alzeimhers had left her, we had better conversations than we had had in over six years, she knew things that had happened in the last few years that we didn't know she knew......( and we hadn't told her, for example my youngest brother had died, because of her condition, it was decided not to tell her), but she suddenly knew! All this troubles me, because I now wonder if Alzeimhers is NOT THAT THE BRAIN can't remember, but rather the patient can't converse, has anyone else had any experience of the return of the memory at the time of end of life care.
Angie

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
My condolences on the loss of your mum, AngieDee.

I have no experience of this phenomenon, but personally I would never assume that someone even in the advanced or end stage of dementia could not hear what was being said or understand it. Like you, I sometimes wonder if it is just the ability to react to what is heard that is lost.

theunknown

Apr 17, 2015
Sorry to hear about your mum Angie. As far as your observations are concerned, I can't offer any ideas. However, last weekend my mum (who's in a home) was more lucid than she's been since she was initially sectioned and then diagnosed with 'irreversible cognitive impairment'. She was the closest I've seen to my 'old' mum since January.

1mindy

Jul 21, 2015
Shropshire
It is a very strange thing! When my mum was taken from the ch to hospital because she was dying she was saying nothing at all coherent . I was sitting with her and said " mum I can't hear what you are saying " she shouted to me " I will shout then " .They were her very last words. She so clearly understood what I had said and how to remedy it. To remember still makes me smile , her diction and voice was as it always had been and I can still hear her now after nearly 8 years.