A very stressful time.

Kieranconcerns

Feb 8, 2016
My mum was diagnosed with Frontal lobia dementia back in Januray and has been steadily declining since. She had a fall and fractured her hip 8 weeks ago and has been in hospital since. Between my sister and brother and me we have been trying to help her as much as possible and manage things by going around the house as much as possible but we realise now that she really needs a career. To make matters more complicated my mum was my other sisters (disabled) career.

The doctor has said my mums hip is a lot better and she can go home but social services haven't managed to set up her sport package yet so can't discharge her. It's so frustrating as we want her back home, 8 weeks in a ward with constantly changing patients can't be doing her mental state shy good. SS seem to be taking an eternity to set the package up and it's all dragging on so long!

I accepted a new job in Germany back in January and am really considering my deviation as I feel selfish to firstly leave my mum and secondly leave my sisters and brother.

Has anyone been in a similar situation?

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Goodness me you have a lot going on.
Social Services are a pain in the behind. They are supposed to set up discharge packages quickly. I suggest you see the hospital social worker tomorrow and tell her that you have waited long enough and you are going to go to the local press (you don't need to but SS hate the newspapers) if they don't sort this out by x (and I would give them a date of Thursday). They can set up care packages really quickly, they are dragging their heels because at the moment mum is funded by the NHS and when she is discharged she will presumably be funded by Social Services. I'm surprised the ward sister hasn't kicked off

keep posting and let us know how it goes x

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
My mum was diagnosed with Frontal lobia dementia back in Januray and has been steadily declining since. She had a fall and fractured her hip 8 weeks ago and has been in hospital since. Between my sister and brother and me we have been trying to help her as much as possible and manage things by going around the house as much as possible but we realise now that she really needs a career. To make matters more complicated my mum was my other sisters (disabled) career.

The doctor has said my mums hip is a lot better and she can go home but social services haven't managed to set up her sport package yet so can't discharge her. It's so frustrating as we want her back home, 8 weeks in a ward with constantly changing patients can't be doing her mental state shy good. SS seem to be taking an eternity to set the package up and it's all dragging on so long!

I accepted a new job in Germany back in January and am really considering my deviation as I feel selfish to firstly leave my mum and secondly leave my sisters and brother.

Has anyone been in a similar situation?

Please do as Fizzie suggested. Surely they can't discharge her without a complete care package?

Aisling

Kieranconcerns

Feb 8, 2016
Goodness me you have a lot going on.
Social Services are a pain in the behind. They are supposed to set up discharge packages quickly. I suggest you see the hospital social worker tomorrow and tell her that you have waited long enough and you are going to go to the local press (you don't need to but SS hate the newspapers) if they don't sort this out by x (and I would give them a date of Thursday). They can set up care packages really quickly, they are dragging their heels because at the moment mum is funded by the NHS and when she is discharged she will presumably be funded by Social Services. I'm surprised the ward sister hasn't kicked off

keep posting and let us know how it goes x

Thank you fizzie