A very sad day

Devonmaid

Sep 23, 2007
Dartmoor Devon
Please forgive me for writing about something other than Alzheimers, I hope no one is offended . We have just come back from the Vets having had one of our beloved dogs put to sleep and we are devastated . The three dogs have helped me over some pretty awful times , you just cant wallow in self pity when dogs need a walk and somehow, they always know when I am sad and are there to comfort me . Paddy was only three years old but suffering from a terminal illness and its been a hard decision and an even harder phone call to make . He has gone now , bless his little heart and I guess life goes on, the others need walking and caring for but oh dear, what a horrible day ,
love Kate x

Laylabud

Sep 7, 2007
Kent
My heart goes out to you, pets are a great comfort to us and help us through the bad times, a dog is not just a dog but is a part of the family and i would challenge anyone to say different. It is hard to make that choice to have them PTS, i am sure he is running free at rainbow bridge, if you do not know this poem this is how it goes:

Lots of love and hugs coming your way.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Kate,

I'm so sorry about your dog, it's an awful decision to make, but if your pet is suffering, it's something we just have to do.

I agree with you, a pet is so valuable when you're having a hard time. I don't know what I'd do without my little Skye to cuddle.

You're going to miss your Paddy so much, and although the others need you, the gap in your family will be there for a long time to come.

Love and sympathy,

Kate P

Jul 6, 2007
Merseyside
Oh Kate, I'm so sorry ((((HUGS))))

I know how awful it feels to make that decision - especially when he's so young.

My dogs have always been part of the family - they are so comforting and a wonderful distraction.

I'm feeling for you.

Love

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
How very sad for you. Our pets are a part of our world and as such will always be grieved over when they reach the end of their life. This is so painful, especially when losing such a young 'friend' and family companion. xx TinaT

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Dear Kate,
I'm so so sorry to hear about Paddy. It is especially difficult when your pet is so young. They are a part of the family and we should mourn them.

I feel sorry for people who don't understand the emotional connection with animals - they are missing so much.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Daer Kate

It's a very upsetting thing to do, whatever the age of the pet, but particularly when in the general scheme of things one could expect that pet to live for much longer. It is the greatest respopnsibility one can have as a pet owner, to make that decision when the decision has to be made, and not to allow them to suffer anymore, even when your heart breaks to do it.

Love

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Gosh how I feel for you. We lost our beloved Black Lab called Becky some 18 mths ago. I still miss her and your post brings all that love and adoration back.

As they say time does heel a little. I still have beautiful memories of wonderful walks and 'funnies' that only she could bring to us. I hope in the future you can share those with your lost one too. I am pleased you have other pets to help you through this bad patch.

CHESS

May 14, 2006
LANCS.
Dear Kate,

So very sorry to hear about Paddy. Some people would struggle to appreciate the effect pets have on our lives, let alone the effect that their death has on us. My heart goes out to you. No doubt your other two pals will be getting extra hugs for a while! I just don't know how I would cope without my beloved dog.
Thinking about you.

Love, Chess x

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Dear Kate

I am so very sorry to see your news about Paddy.

Our pets sometimes are the only thing left in life that are 'normal'. I really do feel for you.

Love

Cate

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Kate,

I'm really sorry to hear about Paddy. Pets are a great comfort. I don't know where my Dad would be without our beloved (and mad) staffordshire bull terrier, who sometimes is the only one who understands my Dad.

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi

So very sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved dog. One of my Saints died at 2 years old, from renal failure, that was devastating, so can understand what you are feeling.

I think dogs know more than we think.

My little mongrel (well little compared to a St. Bernard) never jumped up on Mum and Dad, although I have never been able to stop him jumping on everyone else, (excitable)
One time though, I had bought a robotic vacuum, he wasn't quite sure of it and when Mum and Dad came for dinner, as usual, this vacuum was spinning around and my dog wouldn't let them in the house, barking, jumping and standing at the door. He was frightened, so he was protecting my parent's from this threatening thing!!

With my parent's, he was always very protective and gentle, as if he knew they needed it.

Alfjess