A very peaceful death

thebes

Feb 10, 2014
London
I sat with my much loved OH this morning as his life came quietly to an end. He had pneumonia again due to his swallowing problems and this time he hadn't the resilience to pull through. He was in the local hospital whose care over the last 5 days has been good, and whose staff handled the end of life issues and choices very sensitively. I am so grateful for that care, as indeed I am for all the support from TP during the last 3 emotionally and physically demanding years.
We had time for the family who wanted to see him to come, and be alongside , to share stories about him and even laugh together as we begin this next bit of life without this big personality who gave us all so much.
The blessing for me tonight, amidst the tears, that as befits an old actor he timed his exit well. I realised at the beginning of this week that I had reached my limit of being able to care for him at home with the help of carers. We both had dreaded the separation and lack of choice that even the best care home would have meant, thankfully we were spared that decision.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello thebes
your post, though sharing such sad news, feels so warm and full of the appreciation of your OH's big personality; a real tribute
my condolences to you and yours

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
My condolences, yet such a forward thinking post, it's hard but you can get through it as a family, that's what love does.. xx

Red66

Feb 29, 2016
I am saddened by your post. Stick together as a family, it's what's important. Take care. Red x

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry to read of your news Thebes. Sending my condolences and wishing you strength. I know how important it was for you to be with him at the end.

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
So sorry for your loss of your lovely Man, Thebes. Grateful that you were together to the last, a comfort for you. My condolences to you and your family. Wishing you strength in the coming days. Love and many hugs M xxx :)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
So sorry for your loss, thebes, and wishing you and your family strength and comfort in the coming days. xx