A very good book

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I have just finished reading "Ambiguous Loss", which is about people who are caught in a situation where there is not a definitive loss. Besides Alzheimer families, some examples were soldiers missing in action for years, children that disappear, emigration and divorce. It is well written and concise and gave me something to think about. It also gave me some comfort for some of my emotions that I'm not too proud of. I highly recommend it.

The particulars are: Ambiguous Loss, by Pauline Boss, Harvard University Press, ISBN 0-674-00381-0.

Regards,
Joanne

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
That does sound interesting, Joanne. Clever title, too.

I can't watch the parents of little Madeleine on TV without crying. What they must be going through just doesn't bear thinking about.

They also interviewed the mother of the little boy who went missing on Kos 17 years ago, and has never been found. Imagine living with that for all that time. I'd be round the bend.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
There are so many who go missing and are never heard from again. All the young people who leave home, children who are snatched, those who develop traumatic amnesia.

Whenever I see a tramp, I wonder about his family. Whenever I see someone in a doorway, I wonder about their family.

I wonder, but am afraid to say I pass by.

I too like the title, Ambiguous Loss, so clever.

I don`t know how people cope. Perhaps they don`t.