A suitable diet?

Lainey 127

Nov 25, 2012
Liverpool UK
Hi to all,
I have a question about diet. Mum (91) had the district nurse to visit yesterday and I was upset and concerned as she said Mum is underweight!
Mum eats a balanced diet, breakfast, a good meal mid-day and a small tea and supper before bed. Plenty of fluids throughout the day. Mealtimes have become more of a problem as Mums dementia gets worse. Mum is easily distracted and it's taking longer and longer for her to finish a meal. Often Mum simply refuses to eat; she spits food out like a toddler no matter how I try to encourage her.
The GP said don't worry about it, I can't force Mum to eat, she'll eat when she's hungry.
I've tried leaving small bowls of snack foods around for her...anyone got any ideas?
The nurse didn't suggest anything other than those high content milk shakes and Mum won't have them as they're too sweet.
Thanks all, much appreciated as always.

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Lainey, hi
I am sorry that you feel upset as you are obviously doing all that you can, it is so very difficult caring for someone with dementia and we all need all the help and support we can find. It sounds as if you have a good health care team around you who are all doing their best for your mum, it's good to hear.

There are savoury varieties of meal replacement drinks available, either look in the supermarket or chemist and see if there are any that your mum might fancy, they are really good at boosting calorie intake when eating meals either takes too long or isn't possible, once you find something that she will drink then you can ask the GP to prescribe it or similar so that you don't have to keep buying them.

It's a good idea to have full cream milk and use single cream where you can, it's sort of like the reverse of today's healthy eating with as many calories however you can.
My hubby has one or two meal replacement shakes a day as well as the meals in his nursing home, due to the problems you describe he doesn't always get the most out of every meal.

It's hard work finding treats but biscuits and chocolate are still favorites and although he gets in a right mess it's a pleasure to see him enjoying things like doughnuts with lots of jam in.

Good luck finding what suits your mum, I look forward to hearing how it goes,
with best wishes from Jo

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
Dad was told to put cream on things for mum, she had put on loads of weight but he still does it. A favorite is banana and cream .

Lainey 127

Nov 25, 2012
Liverpool UK
Thanks for your replies :-D. This week I have been making Mum snack foods like scrambled eggs on buttered toast but adding a drop of cream to the milk; creamy pasta dishes for lunch and the doughnuts are going down a treat!

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
The district nurse ought to be aware that dementia can make people's appetites and weight plummet. my mother's certainly did, both weight and appetite, though her weight did stabilise and has remained much the same for ages, although she is very thin. Please do not allow anyone to make you feel it is your fault. You cannot make someone eat if they don't want to.
As for those fortified/build up drinks, personally I think they are mostly pretty foul and I wouldn't blame anyone for refusing them.