A stream of consciousness

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
Well two days ago we took our sick old millenium kitty to have some tests at the vet who has cared for him for 17 years. The cat has had a good life here on the mountain, no cars to deal with, lots of hunting and outdoor life, he has never been ill or had any accidents. He has been a loving and dear pet for our family, my children and my OH who lives for him. The vet called this morning and said his kidneys are failing badly and recommended that I put him down now.
OH seems to understand and is really more accepting than me. The cat has been doing his business everywhere for sometime now...almost every room in the house. I put kitty boxes on all three floors of the house but that did not help. My OH could not remember that we needed to keep all the doors shut up so the cat could not go into the rooms. I told the vet this and she said lock all the doors. Well, I have done that for two days. My OH was livid. Locked doors!! 48 hours of this is all I can stand. I am sadly relieved to learn that the vet does not recommend treatment, that the kidneys are failing. I could not have stood the prevention process much longer.
So, it will be a sad weekend, as our son will not have gotten to say good bye for the kitty. He really loved this cat alot. And our son is 25 and the cat 17 so our son barely remembers a time without the cat.
Facing up to even the death of a beloved pet is difficult....but I know we are all facing this with our partners each day. The slow death of Alzheimers.

Scouts girl

Jan 18, 2017
Hello PalSal. So sorry to hear that you have lost your dear cat and I do sympathise with you. We had a Westie terrier for 16 years and were devastated when we had to have her put to sleep, it is like losing one of the family and you do miss them terribly. As you say so many of us are going through anticipatory grief with our loved ones and to watch them struggle day to day is so heartbreaking but hey ho that is what we have to cope with. Sending love and hugs to you and your OH. Xxx

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Losing a pet..... despite the fact that what I am about to say will offend some people..... is sometimes worse that losing a human family member. There I said it.:rolleyes:
They take so much off our shoulders just being there and who else can we moan to .and swear with and cry at and they give us unconditional love back. ( OK with the odd bit of cupboard love too, in the case of our Labrador:rolleyes::D)

For 17 years you have loved this cat, cared for it, nursed it, fed it, moaned about it, missed it when it was late back, worried about it when it was il..... of course you are now going to grieve for it. It's been part of you for a long time.

I cried buckets two weeks ago when my daughter had to have one of her cats PTS.... I loved Noodle, she was my favourite one of their three cats and now they only have one left..... the one I liked least.... and I bet I'll cry when he goes too.

Try to think of your beloved Puss as being free, out on the mountain hunting in the sunshine. x.x.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Ah, poor, PalSal...I am sorry to hear this. It is so hard to lose a pet...and they leave something behind in our hearts, we never forget them. How lovely that you had 17 years together.

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
Losing a pet..... despite the fact that what I am about to say will offend some people..... is sometimes worse that losing a human family member. There I said it.:rolleyes:
They take so much off our shoulders just being there and who else can we moan to .and swear with and cry at and they give us unconditional love back. ( OK with the odd bit of cupboard love too, in the case of our Labrador:rolleyes::D)
Completely agree!

dancer12

Jan 9, 2017
Mississauga
Hi PalSal:

So sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved kitty. I'm sure he was a comfort to all of you at one time or another. Many Hugs:)

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
Its been a little while since I have posted. So, this post is a bit of a ramble and mixed thoughts to clear my head.
Yesterday, I went to my local German conversation class which is provided by the Geimeide (local government) and the women coming are mostly political or war refuges. Chechnya, Bosnian, Syrian and Kurd.
It is a lesson in humility to be in the rooms with these young women. I am in awe at the personal strength each of them has.
I have come away wanting to be a better person and do my best to be more patience. Attitude of gratitude is my goal today.
I have my life set up now to allow for breaks four days each week. It is so much more time than so many of you carers here on Talking Point are getting on your own, but I have been at this for 15 years and it took time to set it up. I really am so grateful to the friends,volunteers and my paid worker for their support with my OH. The advice I took from this site, to set things up in advance of when you really need the help....get your OH or patient used to other people being around and involved in their care early on. This has proved to be really good advice.
My life is beautiful at the moment. And living one day at a time, is all one can do anyway. So, today looks like it will be a good day.
I have a number of little tasks to accomplish...telephone calls etc. Then taking OH to the dentist.

This afternoon is my treat of a Thai massage. My Thai massuese comes to my house. I have been doing this since my leukemia, at first the insurance paid for it, now I pay for it myself as I feel that it makes such a difference to me in my stress levels. So, I get a 2 hour massage just about every two weeks.

OH had three walks this week and but today his walk is cancelled as I must take him to the dentist.
I had a fabulous time in Paris, four nights I stayed and did lots of siteseeing as I was with my childhood friend who has never been there before. It was beautiful as always and I ate alot of good food and really enjoyed my friend's company. Her mother had Alzheimers so she understands my issues and is very sweet. Her father was one of my heros and lived to be 94 was always involved interested in life and participating in life. He cared for my friend's mother in all but the last 3 years of her life, she then went into care. I think I talked my friends ears off. (I must watch that as I tend to get excited about spending time with others and can be a bit too talkative)
I have been taken aback by the absence of our beloved cat Billy. A couple of times out of the corner of my eye I caught a glimpse of grey plastic bag or a grey jumper in a chair....for a split second I would think--oh Billycat there you are. But after living with my cat for 17 years..it is not surprising that I miss his company. I can not only imagine what it must be like when one's partner is gone and you have these experiences of feeling they are in the room or with you. It is hard with a pet....cannot imagine when one's partner is gone. I have tried and sometimes even wished for this all to end....but then at the moment I can handle this and my husband still has pleasures in the moment, too. He still loves nature and walking ....there is still joy in his life.
Take care all .......I wish you all moments of joy and connection today. PalSal

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Nice to catch up with you, Pal Sal. I am so glad I joined this forum fairly early in my husband's dementia. I have taken advice and already I have two regular days a week when I get a few hours break. I too am hoping that being away from me for a while now, will help my husband adapt to more care if and when it is needed. I am so pleased for you both that your husband can still enjoy walking. It gives you time off...and is so good for his health and quality of life.
My dog died a few months after my late husband died...and the day I went to feed her and then thought to myself, 'stupid idiot, I will go upstairs and tell N what I just did'...and then realised he was dead too...well, that was the day I decided to move. As my youngest daughter said, home on uni vacation, 'this house is full of dead people'. And life afterwards is different. It is not a life you have chosen...but it is life...and like any life, we make the best of it. Not in a begrudging way...but truly, make the best of it. It is what you and I are doing now. This is not the life we planned or chose...but it is life...and we can, and do, make it good.
Mind you...on a more prosaic note, part of my 'making it good' is piano lessons. And I have to learn C# minor in contrary motion!! It is nearly impossible for me. And if the examiner asks for it I don't know whether I will be thrilled that I put the time in learning it...or aghast that I have to play it to him/her!!

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
Nice to catch up with you, Pal Sal. I am so glad I joined this forum fairly early in my husband's dementia. I have taken advice and already I have two regular days a week when I get a few hours break. I too am hoping that being away from me for a while now, will help my husband adapt to more care if and when it is needed. I am so pleased for you both that your husband can still enjoy walking. It gives you time off...and is so good for his health and quality of life.
My dog died a few months after my late husband died...and the day I went to feed her and then thought to myself, 'stupid idiot, I will go upstairs and tell N what I just did'...and then realised he was dead too...well, that was the day I decided to move. As my youngest daughter said, home on uni vacation, 'this house is full of dead people'. And life afterwards is different. It is not a life you have chosen...but it is life...and like any life, we make the best of it. Not in a begrudging way...but truly, make the best of it. It is what you and I are doing now. This is not the life we planned or chose...but it is life...and we can, and do, make it good.
Mind you...on a more prosaic note, part of my 'making it good' is piano lessons. And I have to learn C# minor in contrary motion!! It is nearly impossible for me. And if the examiner asks for it I don't know whether I will be thrilled that I put the time in learning it...or aghast that I have to play it to him/her!!

Dear AM59- So pleased to learn of your piano lessons. That is so wonderful and I am sure it is giving you great satifaction. Thanks for relating your story of missing your pet above. I guess we all do this.

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
Today, spent the morning doing the washing and ironing, making lunch and prepping dinner, paying bills, figuring out our tax liability,and generally trying not to panic about reduction in my income which will begin in December, as my contract will be renewed. OH is ,of course, oblivous to my worries and concerns...he is only worried about here he left his cap , which he takes walking and what time and how long he will get to walk today, bless him.
I am trying to live in the solution, so I am thinking about renting out one of my bedrooms the one on the bottom floor which has a separate bathroom. I am a bit concerned that OH will go through the rentors room and just generally concerned about having someone else in the house.
I would do Air BnB but it is just too much hassle. I did it early on for a couple of years then decided it was not worth it.
Trying to anticipate the change of income....of course, I could just eat up my capital if I knew how long life was going to last...where did I put my crystal ball--guess it makes more sense to reduce expenditures if possible.
All well today....and that is my philosophy--- live for today and in the moment, and something positive will happen. I have spent alot of time worrying about things that never happened. So, I must do the best I can and turn it overand pray that the right solution will present itself. I have managed somehow all these years. The kids all got university educations, I am still solvent and completely debt free. I have been very fortunate.
I am looking forward to my rock band practice tonight. And on Friday, my youngest will come home from the Swiss Army and take charge of his father for the weekend. I am heading to Maguleone France to sing in a classical music festival. Singing William Byrd, Stravinsky, Dietsch and more. It will be wonderful.
I do hope I am not just burying my head in the sand ....but counting my blessings and doing my best to have a life one day at a time. Hope each of you is doing the same.
Thanks TP friends for being there. I keep hoping to try out the new chat room, but no one has been in the chatroom when I have been on line. I will keep trying.

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
Hi PalSal,
your post made me think, as usual.
Hope you'll enjoy your weekend in France.
I'd like listening to you so much
Any chance to listen to your choir on youtube?

As for money and expenditures,
Over the years I have realized how few things are necessary.
Most of them empty our bank accounts without filling our hearts

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Hello, ladies (@PalSal, @margherita)
I agree, Margherita, I always look out for PalSal's posts. They are thought provoking, and beautifully written. What a lovely idea to listen to the music on YouTube. I love Byrd, but I am not familiar with choral music of Stravinsky. Martin and I went to a piano recital in a little town in the Netherlands. There were four pianists, four grand pianos, playing variations on Stravinsky The Rite of Spring. It was AWFUL. It was like four toddlers bashing pianos as hard as they could. The pianos were all retuned in the interval. And all around us, people were nodding their heads and smiling in appreciation!!
Sorry, I am sure your singing will be beautiful. In my choir we are preparing a piece by Philip Stopford, for Christmas. Are you familiar with his music?
I am so sorry, PalSal that you are having to worry about finance, on top of everything else. I read an article on the news app this morning about a girl who lived in Africa for a year. She took one suitcase, planning to send for the rest of her things...but she ended up living really simply, on what she had. And it changed her attitude to consumerism. When she returned to the UK she tried to not get sucked in to the 'shopping culture' again.
The trouble is, there are some things you cannot economise on. Here, our largest bill, is council tax. Then next, heating! Of course this assumes that the mortgage is paid and there is no rent.
And I don't think it is bad to think just for the day. When I was going through a hard time...ooh, years ago, I read something that stayed with me...
'The secret of a sweet and happy life, is to take one day at a time. It is the long stretches which tire us'.
I certainly think this is true with dementia. A lot of my heart ache is not caused by how Martin is NOW but how I am frightened he will be in a year or two. Or, as you were saying PalSal...imagining how it will be when they die. I had SO many walks with my dog, crying about how Norman's funeral would be, or about how it would be when he died...and it was all such a needless torment. When it happens...it is so different. I don't know, I think it is like trying to explain to someone how it is when you have a baby. You try to tell them how their life will change, and they smile and agree, and secretly think...well, that is how it was for you...but MY child will be different.
Sorry, I did not mean this to turn into an essay!
If we can hear your choir, PalSal, it would be wonderful. Have a lovely weekend.

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
Dear ladies, I really appreciate being in communication with you both. Here is the website where you can link three recordings http://baselchambervoices.weebly.com/ The best I believe is the Dixie . I am the woman in the bright orange top and jacket with glasses.
I am very excited about having a CHAT room. I hope I run into you both there soon. All the best Sal

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
@PalSal ...I just popped back to say...the website you sent? It is powered by Weebly!! It was made for Weebles. I will play the music to Martin....lovely to talk to you today x x

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
You Tube post of my singing ensemble....just a little taste. I really enjoy our group. We will carol on Dec. 9 on the streets of Basel for Alzheimers we usually raise between 600 and 800 CHF in a couple of hours. We will have a benefit concert at the Felix Blatter hospital for patient and families on Dec. 11 this is a big Alzheimers Gereatric hospital in the city....all proceeds will go to the local chapter of the Alz association.

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
This is lovely. You must have practised so much to produce such a beautiful and unified sound.

THE STREAM CONTINUES---

Hi AM,

Thank you. Yes, we did practiced a lot for this festival. I am very pleased with the recording.

Now we are practicing a special concert for Christmas. We will busk or carol on the streets of Basel, on Dec 9 which we do each year. We make between 600 to 800 CHF each year in about 1.5 hours. My friends in the choir have all known my husband for many years and we elected a long time ago to give funds to local Alzheimers assoc.each year.

This year, as we are creating a Christmas program, I contacted the Director of Geriatrics at the University who is responsible for the Memory Clinic where they diagnose dementia. The Professor is also the head of the largest geriatric hospital here. He put me in touch with the head of nursing at the hospital and now we will give a Christmas concert there in the hospital auditorium for patients, families and staff on Dec 11. On Dec 14th, we will sing at a luncheon for the elderly (but well and active and involved) they always also give us money for Alz Association.

I have been very active raising money for Alzheimer here in Switzerland since OH was diagnosed. I got 25,ooo CHF for Alz Switzerland from a product group of Novartis in 2011, who make the Excelon patch. And raised 30,000 for a day care which the gov't then matched so in actuality got the daycare 60K. But my husband refuses to go to the daycare which is understandable as he does not speak German and of course, when this all started he was 49 and did not see himself with the elderly demented people in the daycare. But despite all the money, I have raised I do not feel like the local association has been very helpful for my needs, nice folks but in fact, they have never really provided me with anything. I get everything (important- information and advice) from Talking Point and this UK site. When things were really bad 4 or 5 years ago I called the UK hot line for support and someone to speak to. I am very grateful to Talking Point and the lovely contacts I have made here.

My hubby is moving a lot in the night now.....getting up and turning on the lights. Or just wriggling in the bed.....going to the bathroom. It makes for a rough night. But other carers on this site, put up with so much more than I have to deal with I feel bad to complain. I guess it is coming to the point of separate beds and separate rooms.

Yesterday, we went to OH's neuropsychiatrist. He is a lovely man. We were 25 minutes late...very unSwiss. We see him every 3 months. Last year, he got OH to start taking his meds again when I discovered he was hiding them for about 3 months. No change in process of deterioration it continues-that is the disease. The Professor supports me in the process, and makes sure I am handling the situation. Or at least that is how it feels. The Prof. gave my husband a chance to speak and asked him a couple of questions, OH had nothing to say and could not remember a single activity. My OH told the Dr. three times he had lost his coat on an outing with a carer. I explained for the 10 thousandth time that I put the coat away until spring time, it is not lost. We then came home and OH began his usual after 5PM activities rifling through the cupboards looking for the coat again.

I call it Search and Destroy the endless searching for whatever the lost item is at the moment...hat, wallet, coat , watch, his glasses whatever. That is really his day unless distracted by nature and his wonderful walks.

Worked two days this week on financial planning.....I have managed to keep us afloat for since my husband was 49. He will be 65 in April. I have not done a very good job, I am a marketing and communication and PR person not a financial person. I do not budget, I spend.

It is all coming to roost now and I will need to live on a lesser and limited fixed amount in the future which I am trying to plan for. I get pretty down on myself when it comes to all this kind of thing and am very very fearful that we will have enough. I know that his condition will continue to worsen but I hope that all the exercise has helped him to keep good balance and physically healthy continues to work in our favor. I worry that I will be able to keep him at home...this is the issue. If he worsened and I had to put him in institution in the future, the costs would destroy all this planning. But I am keeping it in the day, one day at a time. I am going on the assumption that for the next 10 years he will be with me here....for I am trying to plan for that.

When I discussed the financial planning with my daughter who is nursing her baby at the moment and full of hormones, she started crying and said Mommy I do not want Daddy to live another 10 years, it is going to ruin your health to care for him so long. That made me so sad. She loves him and is very supportive of us. But it has been a long illness and my kids are tired, too.

Finally, had success with the UK bank. Have been trying to access the account since May!! Endless telephone calls and two letters. Finally this week a representative telephoned me. They had entered my details incorrectly, so their security questions were wrong. It is such a long story of comedy of errors, I do not wish to reiterate it all here. But it is at last resolved and the bank are reimbursing me 50 GBP for the documentation they required to resolve the situation. Still waiting for access, but I feel success is near.

I will be free to start on the next pile of forms and bureaucratic paperwork to keep life going forward. There is always the next pile of forms, or taxes or something which requires my brain and my attention to resolve as best I can.

OH has his Friday walk and lunch with his dear old friend. I will go to see where we will sing on the Dec. 11th and check out the acoustics. Then have lunch with some longtime women friends.

Then it is the weekend. Which is always difficult as Sat, Sun, and Mon no walkers...up to me to provide his exercise for three days. Often, by Monday I am a bit resentful and by Tuesday completely ready for the walker to come and take him away.

Meditation for Today

All of us have our own battles to win, the battle between the material view of life and the spiritual view. Something must guide our lives. Will it be wealth, pride, selfishness, and greed or will it be faith, honesty, purity, unselfishness, love, and service? Each one has a choice. We can choose good or evil. We cannot choose both. Are we going to keep striving until we win the battle? If we win the victory, we can believe that even God in His heaven will rejoice.

I pray that I will be more patient and loving today. Not just handling my life and the people in it. May I be kind and patience with my husband and look at him with love instead of viewing him as a burden and as a millstone around my neck. May I be grateful that I still have all my faculties and abilities that I can be of service to others, my husband, my children and my friends. And I pray that I can recognize the good and the joy of my life and not be in self-pity.