A smile

Babymare01

Apr 22, 2015
Hello there

Well today I went to see my mother and after weeks and weeks and weeks of no reaction or acknowledgement of me I got the most beautiful smile. Not just 1smile but every time I smiled at her she smiled back and she held my hand. She wouldn't speak to me ( closed her eyes if I started speaking lol so that was telling me) but hell I got smiles. I had a glimmer of my wonderful mother back :)

I know next time I go in it may be different again but heck I skipped back to my car with a Cheshire cat smile on my face :D

I just had to share xxxx

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hello there

Well today I went to see my mother and after weeks and weeks and weeks of no reaction or acknowledgement of me I got the most beautiful smile. Not just 1smile but every time I smiled at her she smiled back and she held my hand. She wouldn't speak to me ( closed her eyes if I started speaking lol so that was telling me) but hell I got smiles. I had a glimmer of my wonderful mother back :)

I know next time I go in it may be different again but heck I skipped back to my car with a Cheshire cat smile on my face :D

I just had to share xxxx

Thank you very much for posting about your happy visit-it made me smile. Hold on to that happy visit -I hope you get many more smiles from your dear Mum

Take care

Lyn T XX

daisydi

Feb 25, 2015
Norfolk
That's lovely. I too had a good visit with my mum yesterday when I had glimpses of my old mum. That made me happy but sad that I had to leave her there.

Wendy C

Jan 29, 2012
West Midlands
Its wonderful when they smile at you. The last two visits to see my Mom she has been smiling a lot. I am making the most of it, as next time she may not smile at all. My youngest daughter was with me and Mom said Rebecca 3 times which was wonderful. We have to treasure these precious moments as we don't know how many more times there will be .

Babymare01

Apr 22, 2015
Well tonight I got a small smile but,when leaving, i kissed my mum as normal and said love you to be given a kiss on my cheek. I cried as I cannot remember last time that happened. I'm so grateful to CH Manager who listened to my concerns re medication mum was on and challanged the doctor. The anti depressants(the doctor as changed them couple of times) were withdrawn 2 weeks ago and whilst knowing mums dementia won't go away and I know I will have bad days there is definitely a change in mum. She is not "out of it" as much. Just a simple kiss but heck priceless xxx

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Thanks CCOLE and well done for raising the issue. You can't help wondering how often PWD developing new and worrying symptoms would benefit from a thorough look at all their medications - possible side-effects and interactions - and a break from any drugs which might be contributing to problems.

Wendy C

Jan 29, 2012
West Midlands
My Mom was taken off her medication 2 weeks ago. She is a different person. Not sleepy, saying a few words and smiling at us. Today she kept leaving forward for a kiss, wanting to hold hands. I even believe she recognises us. I have not had this from my Mom for months. Its wonderful. :):)

Babymare01

Apr 22, 2015
Wendy C - its the same with my mum. The change is just amazing. I know we will have bad days and I know the Dimentia wont go but just to have part of my mum back is just awesome :D. Im just thankful that the CH Manager listened to me and also expressed same concerns :D xx

Wendy C

Jan 29, 2012
West Midlands
My visit today was lovely. Mom held my hand which was cold. She shivered and went brr and rubbed my hand to warm it. She smiled the whole time we were there. 4 weeks ago she was not aware of anything. Carers say it may be a coincidence with her coming off her medication. I don't care what it is, Mom is much happier. xx

Babymare01

Apr 22, 2015
It doesn't matter does it Wendy ? coincidence or not - it just doesn't matter and we take each day as it comes :) The manager at mums CH is convinced it was the medication mum was on and yes we may experience issues with mums behaviour but the Manager just said "we deal with that as and when it arises - but your mum is more aware and alert and that is what matters" :) Every smiley day is a bonus xxx

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
Coincidence - how many times do you hear people say they feel much better coming off medications - dementia or not. I suspect its a "cocktail" of meds that causes a lot of the problems whatever the medical men say about them being "comfort" meds. I know I had a few better weeks with my husband before he died when I insisted they stop "poisoning" him. His dementia was so severe by this time that nothing was going to make a difference to the inevitable outcome. Hope your visits with your Mother remain clam and loving CCOLE.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I suspect its a "cocktail" of meds that causes a lot of the problems whatever the medical men say about them being "comfort" meds.

I suspect you're right.:)

One drug can have nasty side-effects. Who really knows what side-effects can arise from the extraordinary collection that so many people are prescribed?