A small thing, but powerful

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Many times I have seen how powerful it is when folk write a letter to their loved one in a nursing or care home. They have done this when they have not been able to get in to see them. It means that one of the staff read the letter to the resident, often with a cup of tea, and it is a lovely activity whether they understand the letter or not.
I think now would be a good time to do this on a wider scale. It would help the hard pressed staff to feel they had managed a rewarding activity with the residents, however short, and would ensure good moments of one to one attention and smiles. More than a card, make it a newsletter, cut out funny pictures from somewhere and stick them on it to enliven it.
Believe me, this will be so helpful to the homes in shutdown especially if their activities are curtailed.
Love to all as usual. Kindred.xx

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
I agree @kindred and when you think about it I bet many of us eagerly press the buttons on phone or iPad to read a notification or message on line, a route no often available to those in care homes for various reasons. Such contact enhances our feeling of belonging in a community of friends and family and so yes, we should widen our arms and encompass, with the written word, as many folk as we can.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
I agree @kindred and when you think about it I bet many of us eagerly press the buttons on phone or iPad to read a notification or message on line, a route no often available to those in care homes for various reasons. Such contact enhances our feeling of belonging in a community of friends and family and so yes, we should widen our arms and encompass, with the written word, as many folk as we can.
Oh thank you so much agzy. I so appreciate that. And also include a verse of a favourite song so the carer can sing with the resident!
And say what is happening outside, the flowers, the birds, the trees ... in Bristol where I live the spring is extraordinarily beautiful this year and I’ve found residents like to hear about it.
I do funny little drawings of birds and flowers so the residents and nurses can laugh at them. The written word is wondrous. Thank you! Kindred.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
This sounds like a great idea. It will give me something to do in these times of social distancing. My wife is not really capable of taking much in but if I include a few photos it will at least be of interest to the staff and maybe other residents as well.

Splashing About

Oct 20, 2019
I’m messaging my mums home and sent a load of photos of mum when she was younger. I hope she’s forgotten us, odd though this sounds. I don’t want her to think we have forgotten her.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Thank you @kindred for reminding me about sending things in for mum.
I got a couple of extra Mother’s Day cards, and I sent the first one off today. Mums home have gone into overdrive on Facebook with pictures of different events they’ve been doing. I’ve been liking posts and and adding comments in thanks. Mum looked quite cheerful with a G&T yesterday, so I hope she’s doing OK. I could skype her, but I think that would only confuse and distress her, and she couldn’t see me anyway, due to her poor eyesight.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
My WI have "adopted" a local care home - a members mum is in lockdown there. We are writing letters and sending cards to individual residents, trying to pair us up with someone who shares an interest. I am writing to a lady who likes crocheting ( or used to) and I send photos of my work in progress. When this crisis is over, we are going to visit and have afternoon tea - were providing the cakes! The carers at the home are delighted as most of the residents love getting letters.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I too am writing letters, they can be read, reread and treasured.

Reassuring someone is loved is essential as food.

More careful with the words than when courting though!!!