A simple goodbye

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Dad, age 92, died of mixed Alzheimer’s/Vascular dementia. He died peacefully. He left explicit instructions that we have carried out.
No words, no music, cardboard coffin, ashes in the crematorium garden.
So we gathered, three grandchildren with spouses, three great grandchildren, a daughter, a daughter in law and her husband.
The great grandchildren played in the garden with their mums.
Dad was brought in, we all said goodbye, and his grandsons closed the curtains.
It was simple, profound, and what he wanted.

We then went to a local restaurant, a good meal, exchanging memories, laughter and family chat.

A good send off.
(Dad would have been really annoyed that a cardboard coffin cost more than MDF)

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
This sounds as if you carried out your dad’s wishes perfectly...quiet and dignified and family centred. It must be a comfort to you that you were able to do what he wanted.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
I’m glad that as a family you were able to honor your Dad by carrying out it wishes, sending you a and your family strength for the future.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
We also had a very simple funeral @DeMartin. Not as simple as yours for your dad but as simple as my husband would have wished.

Its lovely to know you carried out your dad's wishes. I'm sure you felt comfortable with them even if he would have been horrified at the cost of his cardboard coffin. :)

mumsgone

Dec 23, 2015
think it's lovely your dad had his own wishes and that you were able to carry them out for him xx