A sense of relief

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
Dear Talking Point friends,

My last post was difficult on July 4th. So, grateful I was able to come to Talking Point and get perspective on what I am dealing with daily. I forget. And find others who understood what happened and my breaking point.

Looking back on that terrible day, I can see I was under such pressure. The final interview for my Swiss citizenship was on July 5 and as you on talking point know, I have been preparing and studying for three years.

With the final interview behind me, life is really really different. I no longer need to get up and study every day, no organize care and get to German classes, and now I am truly a retired person, as I am no longer working since Dec 2017. But I finally feel retired.

I awake up in the morning and thank my God that I am free to choose to do or not do anything at all. I cannot remember when I have felt so free.

I spent a good deal of time the first days after the exams getting my house, laundry and ironing all in order. The garden flowers fertilized and general household duties.

I have been good to my promise of trying to take simple pleasures in life, ie eating out on the balcony and the terrace and enjoying our lovely spaces. Making a conscious effort to be aware of all the lovely gifts of our lives. Especially that after having this disease so long Nick is still physically pretty fit, although he does tire more easily, I do notice this. We enjoying living here on the mountain, as I do not think we can stay here forever, I want to savor its pleasures for now we must make the most of it.

We have enjoyed this week, the weather has been really fine and Nick has had his usual walks and pleasures. I went to Montreux to the Jazz Festival and heard Van Morrison and Steve Winwood play. That was a fabulous mini break. I was just away for one night. But even one night away, is such a pampered feeling. I stayed at a beautiful hotel right on the lake, and I got up in the morning and took a long long walk (12,000 steps of my pedometer)

Yesterday, we went to a little private club swimming pool on the top of the Bruderholz where our daughter lives. She and her family belong so we could go as guests. It was lovely and gentle and not crowded. I picnic'd and swam all day from 10:30 to 17:00. Nick was not very comfortable and he never went in the water. He was there in body but not in mind and spirit. He takes no real pleasure from being with us....he is just there. It is so strange. Where have his mind and spirit gone. So, I just get on with making myself happy. The only time he is really happy is when he is hiking in the mountains, the rest of the time he just seems disconnected unplugged and unable to focus or recognize where he is and what is going on around him.

Nick has been wanting to swim in the Rhein but I am afraid to take him to our old spot to swim. As he no longer recognizes me when other faces are around, I fear he will be confused in the river....at this time of year it is full of people. Last year I took him to a quieter spot up river to swim at it all went well. We will go to another place which is a contolled swim area and I am thinking he needs where he must stop.

Since the incident, I realized that I must use the sedative more in the evening. I had been enduring his behaviors in the evenings and so as not to use the Dipiperon. After the incident I spoke to his neuropsychiatrist and he told me I could give him up to four tablets a day. I now am giving him one at about 4 or 5 in the afternoon and then again at bedtime. Nick is a little less anxious the evenings and sleeping better. I am not sure why I did not want him to take the Dipiperon, I guess I was worried his would have incontinence or something. But all seems to be well

So, I will pack a picnic and we will go early to the water and stay late as we have nothing pressing to doing our lives now. No big deals no pressures. It feels amazing.

Attachments

• Walk Montreux.JPG
    Walk Montreux.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 407
  • View from Hotel Window Montreux.JPG
    View from Hotel Window Montreux.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 403
  • Steam Paddler Montreux.JPG
    Steam Paddler Montreux.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 424
  • Stature Montreux.JPG
    Stature Montreux.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 433
  • Giswil gig.JPG
    Giswil gig.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s so lovely to hear how you are making the best of your life @PalSal.

Congratulations on your Swiss citizenship .

Your photos are beautiful. I went to Montreaux when I was 13. :)

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Dear Talking Point friends,

My last post was difficult on July 4th. So, grateful I was able to come to Talking Point and get perspective on what I am dealing with daily. I forget. And find others who understood what happened and my breaking point.

Looking back on that terrible day, I can see I was under such pressure. The final interview for my Swiss citizenship was on July 5 and as you on talking point know, I have been preparing and studying for three years.

With the final interview behind me, life is really really different. I no longer need to get up and study every day, no organize care and get to German classes, and now I am truly a retired person, as I am no longer working since Dec 2017. But I finally feel retired.

I awake up in the morning and thank my God that I am free to choose to do or not do anything at all. I cannot remember when I have felt so free.

I spent a good deal of time the first days after the exams getting my house, laundry and ironing all in order. The garden flowers fertilized and general household duties.

I have been good to my promise of trying to take simple pleasures in life, ie eating out on the balcony and the terrace and enjoying our lovely spaces. Making a conscious effort to be aware of all the lovely gifts of our lives. Especially that after having this disease so long Nick is still physically pretty fit, although he does tire more easily, I do notice this. We enjoying living here on the mountain, as I do not think we can stay here forever, I want to savor its pleasures for now we must make the most of it.

We have enjoyed this week, the weather has been really fine and Nick has had his usual walks and pleasures. I went to Montreux to the Jazz Festival and heard Van Morrison and Steve Winwood play. That was a fabulous mini break. I was just away for one night. But even one night away, is such a pampered feeling. I stayed at a beautiful hotel right on the lake, and I got up in the morning and took a long long walk (12,000 steps of my pedometer)

Yesterday, we went to a little private club swimming pool on the top of the Bruderholz where our daughter lives. She and her family belong so we could go as guests. It was lovely and gentle and not crowded. I picnic'd and swam all day from 10:30 to 17:00. Nick was not very comfortable and he never went in the water. He was there in body but not in mind and spirit. He takes no real pleasure from being with us....he is just there. It is so strange. Where have his mind and spirit gone. So, I just get on with making myself happy. The only time he is really happy is when he is hiking in the mountains, the rest of the time he just seems disconnected unplugged and unable to focus or recognize where he is and what is going on around him.

Nick has been wanting to swim in the Rhein but I am afraid to take him to our old spot to swim. As he no longer recognizes me when other faces are around, I fear he will be confused in the river....at this time of year it is full of people. Last year I took him to a quieter spot up river to swim at it all went well. We will go to another place which is a contolled swim area and I am thinking he needs where he must stop.

Since the incident, I realized that I must use the sedative more in the evening. I had been enduring his behaviors in the evenings and so as not to use the Dipiperon. After the incident I spoke to his neuropsychiatrist and he told me I could give him up to four tablets a day. I now am giving him one at about 4 or 5 in the afternoon and then again at bedtime. Nick is a little less anxious the evenings and sleeping better. I am not sure why I did not want him to take the Dipiperon, I guess I was worried his would have incontinence or something. But all seems to be well

So, I will pack a picnic and we will go early to the water and stay late as we have nothing pressing to doing our lives now. No big deals no pressures. It feels amazing.

Beautiful sentiments and beautiful views. Enjoy your new free time

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
Beautiful sentiments and beautiful views. Enjoy your new free time
Thanks you dear Marionq, your support here on TP is always much appreicated. Thank you for your comments last week when I was in the thick of it. I can rely on all you all here at TP who understand what living daily with this disease does to us, and how hard we are on ourselves when we fail to live up to our own priniciples and ideals. We can just do the best we can do on a daily basis and try to have somemoments of beauty and joy in every day.

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
It`s so lovely to hear how you are making the best of your life @PalSal.

Congratulations on your Swiss citizenship .

Your photos are beautiful. I went to Montreaux when I was 13. :)
Thank you. I do not actually have the citizenship yet. I think it is pretty in the bag now. But the local community gets to vote by hand at a meeting in December on if they choose to accept me. They take advice from the gemeinde burger who interviewed me and from the kanton who interviewed me. I took a written test on the history of Switzerland and then the gemeinde interview I was asked questions about law and government.
You should come visit Switzerland again Granny G....it is one of those places on earth which has been kissed by the divine.Montreux is especially beautiful. It feels so cherished here, even the young people at the festival were concerned about the environment and there were lots of places for trash and clever notices about sustaining the beauty of the place and the lake. But there are lots of wonderful places in the world....

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
Today by the river for our very own Stacation....at the Strand near Rheinfelden. it was a beautiful day as I had hoped. Gourmet picnic, lots of sun and beautiful water and peaceful surroundings. Nick prefers to swim in the river, a lake or the sea, a swimming pool has never been his favorite. A couple of iced cold beers for Nick and an ice cream bar for me. Arrived at 10:30 and stayed until 19:00. I stayed as long as I could but then he started going into evening mode....anxiety. So, we came home to the TV. and him sound asleep on the couch. Which is ok...I know I gave him a good day.
Need to add that he could not find or recognise the ladders to get out of the river. Four obvious availbale ladders people clearly using them....but he just couldnt see them or understand to use them. And he could not recognise me in this environment....an arm's length away from him. This happens more and more this inability to recognise me when we are close together. It is so strange. And often he cannot recognise when I am speaking to him....I experienced both of these things toda
I am tired now too but it was still a great day. I am projecting but I can see the changes and I can imagine that next year we will not be able to do this. So, seize the day....we did

Attachments

• IMG_5998.JPG
    IMG_5998.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 403
  • IMG_6003.JPG
    IMG_6003.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_5990.JPG
    IMG_5990.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_5989.JPG
    IMG_5989.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
@PalSal
Arrived at 10:30 and stayed until 19:00. I stayed as long as I could but then he started going into evening mode....anxiety. So, we came home to the TV. and him sound asleep on the couch. Which is ok...I know I gave him a good day.
Need to add that he could not find or recognise the ladders to get out of the river. Four obvious availbale ladders people clearly using them....but he just couldnt see them or understand to use them. And he could not recognise me in this environment....an arm's length away from him. This happens more and more this inability to recognise me when we are close together. It is so strange. And often he cannot recognise when I am speaking to him....I experienced both of these things today.
I am tired now too but it was still a great day. I am projecting but I can see the changes and I can imagine that next year we will not be able to do this. So, seize the day....we did
Beautiful photos, such beautiful places.

Yes you will be tired, all the things you mentioned to be dealt with while keeping on smiling. Not easy and mixed emotions for you, it is so sad to see those changes and know that they will continue worsening.

But you had a great day as you say, you gave Nick a good day, and yes you must seize the day, cherish such times. May they go on as long as possible.

It is uplifting to read such a positive post and I wish you continuing strength and ability to enjoy what is still possible.

Loo xx

Attached Files:

Attached Files: