A recent diagnosis of dementia

millerjen66

Aug 20, 2013
Liverpool
Hi,

My Mum has recently been diagnosed with dementia, she is only 56 years old, so it is quite hard to come to terms with at the moment. As a family we knew that something wasn't right with her for a while and we were encouraging her to go and see the doctor which she did but it was never taken seriously (they blamed it on menopause, stress etc) until one day she couldn't find her way to the doctors after going there for over 20 years. From her first visit to the hospital, it took approximately 12 months to get an official diagnosis, two months after that she was finally administered with medication. I feel that we have been failed by the NHS particularly because of the way she is at the moment.

There are so many questions that we still want answering, but have not been given the opportunity to ask. I have read various things on the internet about the stages of dementia and I can't determine what stage my Mum might be at. Her short term memory is near enough non-existent, she is obsessed with carrying around her keys and handbag (she never lets go of them even when she is just sitting in the house), she has developed a real anxiety of being left on her own therefore if there is ever a time where she is in the house on her own she tries to get out. However, once she gets to the next door neighbours house she is lost. She is becoming increasingly paranoid in thinking that people are being nasty to her. She has put on some weight but I think that is due to the fact that she does not go out anymore as she was very active up until 18 months ago when she started getting confused as to where she was. She often loses her train of thought when speaking and is therefore unable to finish a sentence and very repetitive in things that she does say.

It is so stressful on the family, trying to find someone to look after her on a daily basis and then worrying about whether or not she is ok where she is or who is with her knowing that she is getting paranoid about what people think of her. My dad is thinking of quitting his job in order to look after her full time but I am not sure of the benefits that they are entitled to claim other than DLA and Carers Allowance.

Jen

JaneDee

Jul 9, 2012
Yorkshire
Welcome to TP Jen, my mum is also a younger sufferer with Alzheimers but thankfully my Dad works from home. There are many statutory and voluntary agencies that can offer varying support and advice on this matter. My mum is on DLA but my dad is not eligible for carer's allowance, Citizens Advice helped us complete the lengthy benefit form. Social Services would also be able to let your Dad know if there are any other benefits that your mum and dad might be eligible for.

Take care,

JaneDee

tiggs72

Jul 15, 2013
Hi,

My Mum has recently been diagnosed with dementia, she is only 56 years old, so it is quite hard to come to terms with at the moment. As a family we knew that something wasn't right with her for a while and we were encouraging her to go and see the doctor which she did but it was never taken seriously (they blamed it on menopause, stress etc) until one day she couldn't find her way to the doctors after going there for over 20 years. From her first visit to the hospital, it took approximately 12 months to get an official diagnosis, two months after that she was finally administered with medication. I feel that we have been failed by the NHS particularly because of the way she is at the moment.

There are so many questions that we still want answering, but have not been given the opportunity to ask. I have read various things on the internet about the stages of dementia and I can't determine what stage my Mum might be at. Her short term memory is near enough non-existent, she is obsessed with carrying around her keys and handbag (she never lets go of them even when she is just sitting in the house), she has developed a real anxiety of being left on her own therefore if there is ever a time where she is in the house on her own she tries to get out. However, once she gets to the next door neighbours house she is lost. She is becoming increasingly paranoid in thinking that people are being nasty to her. She has put on some weight but I think that is due to the fact that she does not go out anymore as she was very active up until 18 months ago when she started getting confused as to where she was. She often loses her train of thought when speaking and is therefore unable to finish a sentence and very repetitive in things that she does say.

It is so stressful on the family, trying to find someone to look after her on a daily basis and then worrying about whether or not she is ok where she is or who is with her knowing that she is getting paranoid about what people think of her. My dad is thinking of quitting his job in order to look after her full time but I am not sure of the benefits that they are entitled to claim other than DLA and Carers Allowance.

Jen

Hi welcome to TP.

I found age concern very helpful in terms of which benefits you can get - my dad gets full attendance allowance and awaiting confirmation for a reduction in council tax. Also dad has carers 4 times a day as he lives on his own - maybe there could be some support for yr dad - ask SS for a carers assessment for you and yr dad? I also have and carry an emergent carers card so that if I was in an accident people would know I care for someone vulnerable . We just yesterday have access to a befriending service as well where someone will come for 3 hrs a week to try and get dad out of the house - he has become completely house bound so I'm hoping this will encourage him to get out!

I'm relatively new to this site but you will find a wealth of information and support and a shoulder to cry on! I'm an only child so all responsibility lies on me - I'm lucky to have a supportive partner and some very good friends - but despite that some days you can feel very alone as its all down to you and that's why TP is so helpful - it gets you through those down days!

So sorry for you to have this happen to yr mum at a young age - virtual hugs

Tiggs x

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello and welcome to Talking Point from me too.

I think it would be good if you and your Dad could arrange for a Social Worker to do a Needs Assessment, he is entitled to one as a carer as well as your Mum the sufferer. This factsheet explains the sort of things covered; day care comes to mind as it could give your Mum the company she needs and space for your Dad.

There is another factsheet here which explains about benefits.

I also suggest you ring the local branch of the Alzheimer's Society as some will have Dementia Support Workers who may well have good advice about what local support is available. They can also advise about benefits. You can find the local branch here.

I hope that helps. Keep in touch and let us know how things go.
Best wishes

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karen.geddes@thethinblack