A quick question- sleep?

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
Hello fellow journeymen,

A quick question. Mum 's sleep wake pattern is now changing. She is sleeping badly at night but a lot in the day. She is 94yrs with associated health problems of end stage. Her eating is okay but has issues. What causes sleep issues at end stage? I have read that at the pre -active dying stage sleep changes are the norm. I am wondering if she is entering this stage. I think can start about 6 months before the active dying stage. FIL took 5 months before he died.

Any thoughts? Thanks. xx

Last edited:

YorkshireLass

Feb 15, 2017
Ilkley
Hello fellow journeymen,

A quick question. Mum 's sleep wake pattern is now changing. She is sleeping badly at night but a lot in the day. She is 94yrs with associated health problems of end stage. Her eating is okay but has issues. What causes sleep issues at end stage? I have read that at the pre -active dying stage sleep changes are the norm. I am wondering if she is entering this stage. I think can startake 6 months before.

Any thoughts? Thanks. xx
Hi, all I can say is my mum's disrupted sleep pattern was the main issue in the early days of Alzheimer's. We are now several years in and today mum has been awake day and night for 36 hours. Hopefully she will sleep tonight and most probably most of tomorrow. We have tried everything possible to establish some sort of sleep/wake pattern but sadly Alzheimer's has another agenda!

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
Hi, all I can say is my mum's disrupted sleep pattern was the main issue in the early days of Alzheimer's. We are now several years in and today mum has been awake day and night for 36 hours. Hopefully she will sleep tonight and most probably most of tomorrow. We have tried everything possible to establish some sort of sleep/wake pattern but sadly Alzheimer's has another agenda!

Thanks for the reply. That sounds really horrible for you. Hope you get some sleep soon. Sleep seems a luxury these days. Dad was severely sleep deprived looking after mum and got alopecia for his troubles! ! Sending strength and counting sheep.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Mum started getting her days and nights round the wrong way 3 years before she passed away.

I believe it is because the internal biorhythms have been disrupted by the dementia

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
Mum started getting her days and nights round the wrong way 3 years before she passed away.

I believe it is because the internal biorhythms have been disrupted by the dementia

Thanks for the reply. Now you say it, it makes sense and is logical. I'm probably just having a flap about things

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
My mum got confused about her sleep pattern for sure. She would nap during the day & night in the last few years of her life but didn’t actively want to go to bed.