A question

Cathy67

Apr 16, 2014
Essex
We finally had the financial assessment on 20th November, I didnt have all the info they needed so had to get up to date balances on mum's accounts, I finally found out she has seven different accounts!! Her care is now paid for since early September as she is under section 117, and awaiting a place at a new care home. I recently received the bill for mum's care from mid March up to early September, it appears she doesnt qualify for the 12 week exemption so the bill is £9725. Is it possible to pay this in installments by cheque, as I don't trust direct debits? I have cheque books now for two of mum's accounts and could pay a bit every month, I have LPA for her. Has anyone paid for their loved ones care this way? I coudnt pay it all in one lump sum as it would deplete the account too much.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
When you say "it appears she doesn't qualify for the 12 week exemption" can you confirm that that is because she doesn't have a property to sell and her savings are above the £23K upper limit? I ask because you don't always get accurate info from the LA so I wouldn't necessarily take that as read.

Cathy67

Apr 16, 2014
Essex
The assessor didnt know all mum's income but told me anyway that she didnt qualify for the exemption! I live in mum's house and have done all my life so it is not for sale and yes, I now know that mum has more than £23k, but the assessor didnt know that at the time! Maybe as mum's stay was originally supposed to be temporary (so we were told) but she was in the care home for approx. 4 1/2 months?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
The only reason for the 12 week exemption is if there is a house to be sold, and savings don't come into it in that case) so I can see why that didn't apply to you.

There is specific guidance in CRAG re temporary as opposed to permanent stays that you might want to look at.

So what you are looking at here is how best to pay the arrears. I'm not sure why you are averse to direct debits, but whatever method you choose, you are going to need agreement from whoever this money is owed to (care home? LA?) about how it should be repaid. Amounts, method of payment, interest, whatever.

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
jennifer, Imy mother's house is not being sold, as I am living in it, but she still has the 12 week exemption thing, which was applicable as soon as she had gone down to the 23K thing, regardless of her owning a house.:confused:

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
If the funds are there, maybe you should just pay it in one lump sum. Will you catch up if you pay monthly? ( or whatever)

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
jennifer, Imy mother's house is not being sold, as I am living in it, but she still has the 12 week exemption thing, which was applicable as soon as she had gone down to the 23K thing, regardless of her owning a house.:confused:

I'm assuming there is going to be some sort of deferred payment agreement? Because what the 12 week disregard period refers to is the period of time a house owned by the person in care is not taken into account when the financial calculations are made. If the LA have determined that the house will be disregarded indefinitely, then it's an indefinite disregard, if that makes sense.

Cathy67

Apr 16, 2014
Essex
I presume its owed to the LA, the invoices I've had through just say Essex County Council on them, with the amount owed. I thought that is what everyone in care homes gets if they have to pay. I think I will try the direct debit and see if they will agree to it being paid monthly.

Silver Lining

Nov 20, 2013
Havn't families got enough to cope with !!!!!!!!!

I am about to enter the fray regarding charges etc, and it seems to me that no-one takes into account the desperation some people feel in order to find a decent care home etc. Surely all this penny pinching from Local Authorities adds so much stress and unhappiness to already "stretched" relatives. I think it is heartless that everyone in this position should have to jump through hoops.

I just had to say something !!!!!!:mad:

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
It's money. They don't care about us breaking under the stress just so they can save tuppence.

It does feel that way, but the problem is that the need for help and support is outstripping the funding available. LAs are constantly being told by smug ministers that they have to 'do more with less' and there comes a point where that just isn't possible. I worked in the public sector most of my life and the last few years were a constant battle to try and keep services going in the face of constant cutbacks.

PS just listening to the Today programme today (Thursday) talking about local government funding for next year. Apparently total funding for LAs has fallen by 37% in real terms since 2010 according to government's own statistics.

Last edited: