A question about test results

MrsTiggywinkle

Nov 14, 2021
Hello. Several years ago (3 I think), I had an appt with a neurologist who asked me to name as many animals as I could, in a certain amount of time (1 minute?) and also he asked me to list as many words as I could beginning with P. I also had an MRI (an experience I never wish to repeat!). When I received his letter he said there was nothing on the scan showing damage in the areas of the brain to do with memory and that the test results were 'average'.
He ended the letter by saying that he hope this would allay my concerns. Well I thought 'No it doesn't' because I had not complained of memory problems but of word finding problems and also misspelling words and using the wrong words. Also I have always been good at words (absolutely rubbish with numbers!!) and if my results were 'average', I think that would be a poor result for me. I did read something somewhere that results should be adjusted for intelligence/level of education.
I realise that this might sound very arrogant. ;-)
I have contacted my GP again and I am to have some blood tests. I only had blood tests done very recently because of being very tired and they came back normal, apart from low in vitamin D, but perhaps they are going to test for something else.
Obviously I hope very much that I don't have any form of dementia. This is one occasion when I hope I am wrong. However, several things are concerning me, which I posted about on another board (the wrong one I now realise as I don't have a diagnosis). I seem to tick a lot of boxes. Apathy is one. Many days I don't check my phone to see if anyone has messaged me and when I misplaced it for 36 hours and it was out of charge, it was my husband who was more concerned. He found it in my car. I figure that anything important, then family members know the landline number or my husband's number.
Sorry this is long. Am I right that my test results may not have reflected my ability (or lack of).

Thanks for reading
Mrs Tiggywinkle

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @MrsTiggywinkle

A diagnosis of dementia was a very long winded experience for my husband until brain shrinkage showed on his scan.

If nothing like this has shown on your scan, doctors have to eliminate all other possibilities before diagnosing perhaps a rarer form of dementia, depending on which area of the brain is affected.

I sincerely hope some other cause will be found for your concerns.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Hi @MrsTiggywinkle ,
It might sound arrogant of me, since I am not a doctor, but while I was reading your post, I asked myself if it is a sort of depression.
I admit to having the same thought. The apathy was the thing that struck a real cord with
me as it that was what had the biggest impact on me when my depression was at its worst. I had no concentration so would constantly forget where I had put things.

I don’t know how old you are but I do know that my spelling is not as good as it was when I was young. I am supposing that you had the MMSE tests for part of your regime but that doesn’t just test memory per se but how the memory is actually functioning with regard to daily activities.

I also get the feeling that you are very anxious about this and if there is some depression, it could easily be linked to the anxiety.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
the vitamin D deficiency would cause a lot of the symptoms as well. i had it and apathy, tiredness, aching joints, concentration. this can also be a sign of depression as well. i have moderate to severe depression and anxiety so when im flustered or have too many things to think about, i will forget things, not find words etc butt i think that ive got too many things to think about and do. my husband loves nature and wildlife so the animal question was a bit unfair in that he could rattle them all off without thinking about.

DreamsAreReal

Oct 17, 2015
He ended the letter by saying that he hope this would allay my concerns. Well I thought 'No it doesn't' because I had not complained of memory problems but of word finding problems and also misspelling words and using the wrong words. Also I have always been good at words (absolutely rubbish with numbers!!) and if my results were 'average', I think that would be a poor result for me. I did read something somewhere that results should be adjusted for intelligence/level of education.
I agree with you. My mum was very intelligent and good at English and Maths, she aced the first memory test the GP did by sheer will power, much to my chagrin. It took another two or three years until she was noticeably impaired to anyone but me.

As others have said, there are various conditions that can cause these symptoms . Some of the things you describe, like the phone being left and not being able to find (or spell) the right word are things that I do. In my case it’s the side effects of medication. Combined with getting older and a bit of stress.

MrsTiggywinkle

Nov 14, 2021
Thank you SO much everyone. I have been taking anti depressants for about 11 years and it was suggested to me that perhaps the medication I had been on was not really 'cutting it' any more (max dose of citalopram) so I changed to Sertraline and was on the highest dose until I came off it cold turkey (because I ran out and thought maybe I was OK without.....very silly of me!) While I was without the Sertraline the most obvious symptom was irritability. Anyway back on that now but half the dose.
I have a diagnosis of ADHD inattentive subtype so some things are normal for me (forgetting stuff) but I just feel not myself if that makes sense. Tried medication for that which was useful but my blood pressure was affected so I have come off that. Ideally I would prefer to be on the minimum meds possible. It was the psychiatrist who diagnosed ADHD that suggested a change from Citalopram to Sertraline.
Sorry this is long and waffly. I really appreciate your replies. It gave me hope that maybe it is not dementia BUT what has been happening for quite a few years now is that I am going along with life and something will happen that is quite alarming. Like talking to a friend for 10 or 15 minutes having dialled the wrong friend's number (old fashioned landline) and not realising it wasn't the person I meant to ring at all. I posted about this on another thread.
Then there was the time that I didn't recognise my baby grandson. Unfamiliar surroundings (a hall hired for SIL's 30th party) My daughter wasn't with him at that moment. He was in his car seat and started to cry when people let off party poppers. I looked around for his mother...another guest who had a baby last time I saw her but was now a toddler! Anyway it was weird as I only realised who he was when my other daughter picked him up. It was like the scales falling from my eyes 'Oh it's Johnny'.
This is on top of every day problems which I posted about.
I do have a massive amount of stress in my life which I can't really go into but may be alleviated somewhat if and when our son is in supported living when he is 18.
I am 60. Thanks again everyone!!

MrsTiggywinkle

Nov 14, 2021
Hello @MrsTiggywinkle

A diagnosis of dementia was a very long winded experience for my husband until brain shrinkage showed on his scan.

If nothing like this has shown on your scan, doctors have to eliminate all other possibilities before diagnosing perhaps a rarer form of dementia, depending on which area of the brain is affected.

I sincerely hope some other cause will be found for your concerns.
Thank you Grannie G

MrsTiggywinkle

Nov 14, 2021
I admit to having the same thought. The apathy was the thing that struck a real cord with
me as it that was what had the biggest impact on me when my depression was at its worst. I had no concentration so would constantly forget where I had put things.

I don’t know how old you are but I do know that my spelling is not as good as it was when I was young. I am supposing that you had the MMSE tests for part of your regime but that doesn’t just test memory per se but how the memory is actually functioning with regard to daily activities.

I also get the feeling that you are very anxious about this and if there is some depression, it could easily be linked to the anxiety.
Thanks Lawson 58. I am not so much anxious as 'exercised'. Its the uncertainty, if that makes sense.

MrsTiggywinkle

Nov 14, 2021
the vitamin D deficiency would cause a lot of the symptoms as well. i had it and apathy, tiredness, aching joints, concentration. this can also be a sign of depression as well. i have moderate to severe depression and anxiety so when im flustered or have too many things to think about, i will forget things, not find words etc butt i think that ive got too many things to think about and do. my husband loves nature and wildlife so the animal question was a bit unfair in that he could rattle them all off without thinking about.
Oh that gives me hope Jennifer. Perhaps it is that, plus the stress/depression

MrsTiggywinkle

Nov 14, 2021
I agree with you. My mum was very intelligent and good at English and Maths, she aced the first memory test the GP did by sheer will power, much to my chagrin. It took another two or three years until she was noticeably impaired to anyone but me.

As others have said, there are various conditions that can cause these symptoms . Some of the things you describe, like the phone being left and not being able to find (or spell) the right word are things that I do. In my case it’s the side effects of medication. Combined with getting older and a bit of stress.
That's helpful. Thank you. Others have noticed that I ask them questions that I have already asked and tell them things I've already told them (DH and my older DD who I see most often). Husband thinks its stress but I feel its only me that knows I'm not 'right' and the stress has been long term.

MrsTiggywinkle

Nov 14, 2021
That's helpful. Thank you. Others have noticed that I ask them questions that I have already asked and tell them things I've already told them (DH and my older DD who I see most often). Husband thinks its stress but I feel its only me that knows I'm not 'right' and the stress has been long term.
I was the first person who noticed that my MIL had dementia. She had vascular dementia and died in 2008. My husband and his sister (who had been a social worker with the elderly) didn't spot it. I didn't want to be right but I was

MrsTiggywinkle

Nov 14, 2021
I was the first person who noticed that my MIL had dementia. She had vascular dementia and died in 2008. My husband and his sister (who had been a social worker with the elderly) didn't spot it. I didn't want to be right but I was
So I think there's a certain amount of denial with my husband combined with 'wait and see'. Its the waiting and seeing that is a problem for me. I'd rather know!

DreamsAreReal

Oct 17, 2015
So I think there's a certain amount of denial with my husband combined with 'wait and see'. Its the waiting and seeing that is a problem for me. I'd rather know!
Denial is human nature, I suppose. Nobody wants to be confronted with Dementia in a loved one, but that’s no help to the sufferer as the other person’s denial can feel like they are trying to dismiss your very real symptoms and distress.

If you have massive amounts of stress and also depression, that alone can cause all kinds of symptoms. Of course you want a diagnosis - the not knowing will just be an added stress. Best of luck whatever happens xx

MrsTiggywinkle

Nov 14, 2021
Denial is human nature, I suppose. Nobody wants to be confronted with Dementia in a loved one, but that’s no help to the sufferer as the other person’s denial can feel like they are trying to dismiss your very real symptoms and distress.

If you have massive amounts of stress and also depression, that alone can cause all kinds of symptoms. Of course you want a diagnosis - the not knowing will just be an added stress. Best of luck whatever happens xx
Thanks so much DreamsAreReal!