A poem for Grandma

*Emily*

Oct 22, 2007
Derbyshire
I have not posted for quite a while however felt like I needed to at this time.

My Nan passed away yesterday morning following a 7 year battle with Alzheimer's. We were at her bedside day and night for the past 10 days following her contracting a severe chest infection.

I am happy that she is peaceful now but words cannot describe the pain at losing her.

It seems unreal at this moment in time however I fear the reality of the funeral.

Me and my sister would like to say a few words or read a poem at the funeral however not being very creative we are struggling to think where we start with this? We would appreciate any advice or guidance that anyone can offer.

Thank you

Emily and Amy

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
Hello Emily and Amy, I am sorry to read about your Nan. It is good that you know she is now at peace. I hope you find something suitable to help you express your own feelings.

Best wishes to you both.

Pollyanna

Jul 8, 2008
Hello Emily and Amy

I am sorry for your loss and I know how hard this is. My Grandma died 9 months ago.

I always knew that I wanted to speak at my Nan's funeral. I wanted to do it because I thought I could do it better than anyone else (ie the vicar), I knew her and it was the last thing I could do for her. It also gave me something to focus on in those difficult days after she died and before the funeral.

I decided to talk about her and it wasn't easy to write, it wasn't easy to go through with it, but I did it for her (and me!). I felt so proud of her on the day and I know that she would have been proud too. I was also able to thank her carers which I felt strongly about.

My sister read a short poem.

Whether you decide to read a poem or speak yourself, please remember that everyone is supporting you, if you make a mistake it really doesn't mattter. I practiced it a lot so I knew it quite well which made it easier.

If you feel up to talking about her, speak to other people and gather stories together. Don't try and write it from start to finish, let it develop. I came up with the beginning at the end. That was the hardest bit. Search on the internet for ideas, it will help you start and give you some ideas.

Speaking at any funeral is a difficult thing to do, but also very rewarding. Doing it together is a lovely thing to do and you can support each other.

I would be happy to share what I said if you think it might help you.

Polly x

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
In a way I had it easier than you - my mother was always quoting poetry at me, so all I had to do was look through her own poetry books in order to find something that she had been particularly fond of. It did make me cry a lot though.

In the end I went for something about Sussex, that while it wasn't great art, was something I knew that 1) she was fond of but also 2) (and most importantly) spoke to something about her (she was born and raised in Sussex and loved the downs).

What I'm trying to say is - if you can, think about a part of your grandmother's character that was particularly important to you and then find a poem that relates to that. For example - did she love to cook? Or did she hate to cook? Did she read you stories or take you to the park? There are poems about literally everything.

It will probably make you sad to do this, but it is worthwhile.

Take care

*Emily*

Oct 22, 2007
Derbyshire
Hi Pollyanna,

Thank you for your post and kind words.

I am sorry about your Grandma too, I'm sure she will be so proud of your courage for speaking at her funeral. I hope I am able to find that same courage too. I like the idea of just speaking about her in my own words rather than finding a poem so I will give that a try I think.

Thank you again for your response.

Emily x

Hello Emily and Amy

I am sorry for your loss and I know how hard this is. My Grandma died 9 months ago.

I always knew that I wanted to speak at my Nan's funeral. I wanted to do it because I thought I could do it better than anyone else (ie the vicar), I knew her and it was the last thing I could do for her. It also gave me something to focus on in those difficult days after she died and before the funeral.

I decided to talk about her and it wasn't easy to write, it wasn't easy to go through with it, but I did it for her (and me!). I felt so proud of her on the day and I know that she would have been proud too. I was also able to thank her carers which I felt strongly about.

My sister read a short poem.

Whether you decide to read a poem or speak yourself, please remember that everyone is supporting you, if you make a mistake it really doesn't mattter. I practiced it a lot so I knew it quite well which made it easier.

If you feel up to talking about her, speak to other people and gather stories together. Don't try and write it from start to finish, let it develop. I came up with the beginning at the end. That was the hardest bit. Search on the internet for ideas, it will help you start and give you some ideas.

Speaking at any funeral is a difficult thing to do, but also very rewarding. Doing it together is a lovely thing to do and you can support each other.

I would be happy to share what I said if you think it might help you.

Polly x

bucko

Jan 28, 2009
Widnes
Emily, firstly I would like to send you my sincerest condolences on the loss of your Grandma. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

My Mum died in February of this year and she was a much loved Mum and Grandma. My nephew wrote and read a poem at her funeral, and I wrote one and read my one for my Mum, which made it all so much more personal. There was someone standing by to carry on the reading in case it got too upsetting, but we both managed to read them. Where the strength came from I am not sure. If you would like me to private email you with a copy of the poems we read, you may get some inspiration from them to write your own.

I am so sorry and send you my sincere condolences.

June x

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Emily and Amy,

Sending sincere condolences on your Grandmother's passing.

It would be hard to read out at the funeral but you both can make notes about your growing up with Grandmother.

I am sure you have funny incidents you had.

Sending best wishes
Christine

together

May 25, 2010
Derbyshire
Dear Emily and Amy, firstly am so sorry you have lost your grandma. I too lost Mum in Feb and she was also a much loved grandma. I knew I didn't have the strength to speak but my brothers wanted to. One chose a reading and the other gathered memories from all her grandchildren and ran through a lovely 'picture' of her life. It was fascinating how everyone remembered different little things, little to others but so special for us. Sending you all strength and love, Katherine xx

LBrown27

Mar 9, 2011
Emily & Amy

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your Grandma. Speaking from experience I know it is a very tough time for you both. I lost my lovely Nana nearly 9 months ago and I also decided I wanted to read something at her funeral. I wrote a very personal piece, full of my favourite memories of her and told everyone how proud I was of her and how much I loved her. Unfortunately, I wasn't strong enough to read it myself but the vicar did it instead and he did a really good job. Don't pressure yourself into reading if you don't feel you can manage it, but by all means write something. When my husband lost his Grandad he wrote something and had a family friend read it for him. Others will understand if you are struggling and will be supportive and helpful of you both.

I wish you both all the best. I found that all of a sudden what I wanted to say just came to me and I put it all on paper, maybe the same may happen for you. Best of luck and I hope the funeral isn't too painful.

Lots of love and hugs x