A piece of bread and butter

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by BryanG2001, Aug 20, 2019.

1. BryanG2001

BryanG2001 Registered User

Mar 2, 2014
    As always getting a PWD to eat can be a challenge. A while back we spoke to the Admiral nurses who suggested an extra meal each day, so we added Rice Pudding and Golden Syrup before bedtime. I do wonder if the amount of sugar in that combo perhaps puts Mum in to a mild diabetic coma, but it does seem to help her sleep. I was thinking back to my childhood and the one I remember was 'a piece of bread and butter' so I wondered if it would work for Mum. After Lunch and Dinner we now offer Mum a piece of bread and butter which she happily eats. 2.0gms of fibre and a load of of extra calories - result. Sometimes we go wild and spread some peanut butter or jam on top of the butter.

Any other eating tips that we might try?

2. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    I`ve read on the forum of people with dementia benefitting from hot chocolate or cocoa before bedtime.

3. Bunpoots

Bunpoots Registered User

Apr 1, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    My dad used to love a slice of bread to mop up the gravy after a meal.

4. witts1973

witts1973 Registered User

Jun 20, 2018
    Male
    Leamington Spa