A new stage in my life...................

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Could the pipe be lagged or a well insulated box be built around it?

Great grandson just arrived, he was up to his knees in snow coming down the drive. Mum stood at the top of the drive, she did not want to get her boots wet;)

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
I saw a post on Facebook about the outlet pipes on condenser boilers freezing, apparently it is causing a lot of callouts to heating engineers, the advice is to pour several kettles of boiling water over the outlet pipe the get the ice out.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I saw a post on Facebook about the outlet pipes on condenser boilers freezing, apparently it is causing a lot of callouts to heating engineers, the advice is to pour several kettles of boiling water over the outlet pipe the get the ice out.

My neighbour tried this Sue but it took a while to boil each kettle so he preferred the hair dryer.
My extension leads aren't long enough and I`m a bit wary of using electricity in the snow so I`m going to pour a few kettles of boiling water over the pipe today just in case.

Its raining now though so it may be a case of locking the stable door after the horse has bolted. :)

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
A couple of hearing engineers have posted on our local Facebook groups that the combi boiler breakdown is likely to be a frozen outlet pipe and have given instructions how to defrost it. They say they are too busy themselves to be able to do it themselves. So many people with 4x4s offering to take NHS staff and others to work, appointments etc and to shop for supplies for people. That’s if the shops are open as so many here are closed today. Mind you my daughter lives on a hill and her 4x4 can’t get out of her close because of ice adding to the snow!
It’s heartwarming to see the way the community comes together at times like this. It really does bring out the best in people.

ellejay

Jan 28, 2011
Essex
A couple of hearing engineers have posted on our local Facebook groups that the combi boiler breakdown is likely to be a frozen outlet pipe and have given instructions how to defrost it. They say they are too busy themselves to be able to do it themselves. So many people with 4x4s offering to take NHS staff and others to work, appointments etc and to shop for supplies for people. That’s if the shops are open as so many here are closed today. Mind you my daughter lives on a hill and her 4x4 can’t get out of her close because of ice adding to the snow!
It’s heartwarming to see the way the community comes together at times like this. It really does bring out the best in people.

Yes it's lovely isn't it? We have the 4x4 people taking NHS staff in to work , our local Taxi firm offered to pick up essentials for people who were struggling as "They were out & about anyway" & people on FB have been offering their help too.

Lin x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
@Grannie G
This worries me, my outlet pipe is about 10 foot long and runs out of a bedroom I would need to go up a ladder to see to mine!

Can you get to it by pouring a kettle out of a window Helen? @nellbelles.

I've just poured a kettle of boiling water over my outlet pipe still doubtful I was doing the right thing in case the water freezes as it cools.

It rained heavily this morning and the rain immediately turned to ice on my front windows. They all look like the frosted glass we have in bathrooms. Even now it hasn't`t thawed.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
my outlet pipe is about 10 foot long and runs out of a bedroom I would need to go up a ladder to see to mine!

What diameter is it?
You may not need to do anything, the problem is a slow trickle of condensate gradually freezing and blocking the pipe.

The first condensing boilers are the worst, they just let the water trickle out, also large enough diameter drain pipes were not fitted.

Then siphons were were fitted in the boilers to stop the trickle and cause rushes of condensate from time to time, larger diameter drains were fitted.

Depending on the installation some installers go one step further and fit a reservoir and pump to further increase the volume of condensate discharged at any time.

The build up of ice usually starts at the outlet where residual drips form, placing the outlet in a gully slows this process down, having the end of the pipe under water in the gully virtually stops it.

If the end of the pipe is exposed you can feel to see whether ice is forming and if it is pour hot, not boiling, water over it. Boiling water can damage the pipe.

If you feel like a boring read
Current HHIC Guidance
https://www.logic4training.co.uk/wp...TE-DRAINAGE-PIPE-INSTALLATION-Final-20111.pdf

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Can you get to it by pouring a kettle out of a window Helen? @nellbelles.

I've just poured a kettle of boiling water over my outlet pipe still doubtful I was doing the right thing in case the water freezes as it cools.

It rained heavily this morning and the rain immediately turned to ice on my front windows. They all look like the frosted glass we have in bathrooms. Even now it hasn't`t thawed.
Decided it’s not going to freeze, but if it does ‘brother or nephews can go up ladder with kettle!’

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I've had a text from the engineer who installed my new boiler to say it can be upgraded so it down`t happen again.

@nellbelles. Helen, does this interest you?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The cough and breathing problems I've had since Christmas aren't getting any better despite a change in BP medication which was thought by the GP to cause fluid retention.

My chest X-ray was clear and my lung function test was 100% so now I'm on steroids.

I'm not very happy about this but have no option .

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I’m even sorrier that you have to take tablets. I have the steroid inhaler as well as the Ventolin and that is more than enough. I hope the tablets help you - and soon. xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.