A new stage in my life...................

Status
Not open for further replies.

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
I'm sad to hear about Helen.

The Danube looks beautiful.Enjoy the ballet, sounds wonderful. I love the ballet xx

Sunbell

Jul 29, 2010
Yorkshire, England
Lovely photos Grannie G, they have brought back wonderful memories of our tour of Slovakia several years ago. Beautiful place and do so hope you are relaxing and enjoying it. Keep posting the photos if you have spare time and thanks for updates from Helen's family, I wish her peace xx

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
It sounds as if you are having a fantastic experience, how wonderful.

Thanks for the update on Helen, it appears the hospice is the best place, Martin and Mandy would have found it near impossible to cope.. xxx

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I hope you enjoy the ballet. I love ballet and have seen a number but not Nijinsky. I much prefer ballet to opera.
That's a beautiful photo and the memorial is very meaningful. I hadn't even realised that of course the Iron curtain would have had to involve the Danube. Poor souls.

It's so sad to hear of Helen still struggling. xxx

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Dear Sylvia,

Thanks for the update on Helen. How very sad for all of you but I'm sure she is in the best place for her at this time.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday, I love the ballet:)

XXX

ellejay

Jan 28, 2011
Essex
Thank you for the update Sylvia, I hope the hospice Drs. can help Helen.

Thank you for sharing your holiday with us, enjoy the ballet

Lin x

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
I've had such an interesting afternoon visiting the River Danube exactly at the point where the fence called the Iron Curtain was erected. View attachment 52800

Note the stony path. That was the site of the Iron Curtain.

View attachment 52801

This is the monument to those who were shot trying to escape.

Tonight we are going to the ballet. It is the story of Nijinsky. It's my first ballet.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

I bet you'll love it....the ballet I mean...

That Iron curtain, seemed odd when it was built, and odd when it came down. We have a bit of the Berlin Wall...our son was a student in Grrmany and borrowed a chisel and chipped a bit off. Everyone was doing it...

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The ballet was superb. Very dramatic.

I'm sorry I've no further news of Helen. I'll try again tomorrow

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I bet you'll love it....the ballet I mean...

That Iron curtain, seemed odd when it was built, and odd when it came down. We have a bit of the Berlin Wall...our son was a student in Grrmany and borrowed a chisel and chipped a bit off. Everyone was doing it...

I don't know about it being odd but it was certainly terrifying when it went up in 1961. I remember exacty where I was - in Guernsey on my honeymoon.

Nanak

Mar 25, 2010
Brisbane Australia
I was so sad to read Mandys note on the Facebook chat. I don't know if "poor Helen" really cuts it now but I can't think of anything else to say. :(
How awful she has had to suffer so much.
Your photos look lovely Sylvia. I have never been to a ballet but always wanted to. One day maybe :D.
I always enjoy looking at other peoples holiday photos so keep posting when you have a chance :D

Kim xx

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Sylvia, I've only been to one ballet too. My mother took me to see something at the Royal Festival Hall when I was a child. I think it was Swan Lake. I was keen on ballet as a child and still have the crossover cardigan she knitted me for ballet lessons. It was quite capacious and I was still able to wear it as a young woman for a while. Until chocolate got the better of me.

I wonder what the food is like in Slovakia. I hope you are having something yummy to enjoy.

My mother also took me to see an opera at Sadlers Wells, which stuck in my mind more firmly. The Bartered Bride. I had to ask her what ' Bartered' meant. :D

I hope you are having some decent weather to accompany your trip. The photos look lovely.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Thanks for the updates Sylvia. So sad Helen is still suffering, heart breaking for Mandy and Martin. Why does it have to be like this...

Glad you enjoyed the ballet, I have always wanted to go but have only managed to see it on TV.

Thanks for sharing, good to see your photos and I hope when out and about the weather is decent.

Love to you, dear Helen and her family.
Loo xxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The weather is awful Loo, none stop rain today which has kept us indoors. My friend is on crutches with a broken foot and , I'm ashamed to say, now with my cold.

We still enjoyed the day and are hoping for a brighter tomorrow.

Deborah, this is typical Slovakian food. It is all things pork with onions and vinegar. A very different taste and texture. I will post a photo using the app so , thanks to Izzy it won't be upside down or six feet wide.

ImageUploadedByTalking Point1475785316.788199.jpg

My friend is a health food fanatic so this week is being considered a detox for me. Everything we eat is organic and there s no milk, no caffeinated tea or coffee and no sugar.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Last edited:

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Hmmm. I would be really extremely detoxified of food if that was the dinner every night. Not to mention really quite *windy*. Since I've probably already offended someone, I'll say no more

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Nanak

Mar 25, 2010
Brisbane Australia
Hmmm. I would be really extremely detoxified of food if that was the dinner every night. Not to mention really quite *windy*. Since I've probably already offended someone, I'll say no more

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Not offended. Gave me a giggle on an otherwise yukky day :D

Kim

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
It's good that you're keeping yourself occupied, and I hope the weather improves Sylvia, so that you can get out and see more.
Have you found any interesting puddings?
Raw onions don't do it for me, so I'd be looking at soups etc...and omelettes probably.

Funny, isn't it, that the Danube hardly ever looks blue?

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
My thoughts and prayers are with Helen and her family.

Sorry the weather is not good, Sylvia, hope that improves.
The rather severe change in diet would worry me a bit I think! Vinegar, and raw onions are acidic, and no milk.....but who knows, you may have hit on a cold cure.....time will tell! What rotten luck for your friend, having hurt her foot, but you seem to be getting about alright and she will enjoy your company I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.