A new stage in my life...................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
What a shame about the flies but how good to have avoided them up until now.
I hope you both enjoy the last few days of your wonderful Indian spring. x

Sent from my iPod touch using Talking Point mobile app

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Saffie.

I hope it's too much jollity and not a bad head which sees you up at this time in the morning.

Or have you only just gone to bed? ;)

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I have really enjoyed hearing about your adventures I hope you have a nice few days before you come home x

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Well yes, it was bedtime though I had actually gone to bed some time before! I'd been catching up on the day's news on TP. It was about 2am I think.
It's now 6'ish and I'm going to have my shower once I've caught up again.

I've had a headache since the day after we arrived which became a migraine yesterday but it hasn't managed to ruin my time here as I've had a lovely few days, though it would obviously have been better without it. It's been great though and I can't wait for the next time.

Take care of yourselves over these last days and return refreshed, reinvigorated and ready for your next adventure. I'll be waiting here to share it with you. I've loved your time in India and thank you so much for sharing it with us. xxx

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Thank you both once more for the commentaries, videos and wonderful descriptions of all your experiences on your adventure, I have really enjoyed it (without the reality of the discomforts of flies etc;)) I hope your last few days will be enjoyable and peaceful and your journey home will be a safe one. Love Suexx:)

win

Oct 14, 2012
Here is the tuk tuk journey Win.

http://youtu.be/MY3HXIjtu8c

Love

Thank you so much Helen, they are all so lovely and I really feel I am there when I watch them. I so regret not trying the Tuk Tuks out when I went to Thailand in January, but my niece who lives in Thailand several months of the year, blankly refuses to use them as she believes they are dangerous. Mind you the traffic in Bangkok and surrounding areas is horrendous and like you have described come from all directions with little respect for each other except the scooters which some times have 4 passengers on one, including tiny babies. They can even drive over a red light if they are turning left. Really difficult to follow their rules or lack of them rather. Thank you again to you both and enjoy your last couple of days there. Safe journey back too xx

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Helen thanks for the two video links which for some reason I had missed. Enjoyed them. Are the tuk tuks noisy? Bumpy?

Today I hope your rooms have been free of flies - and ants. :eek: I had a horrible experience in Majorca with ants, probably myself to blame as I left grapes in a bowl on the table. Not that I ‘prefer’ flies…. I encountered them in a specific area in Australia where I spent a few days. They were huge. Soon abandoned the beach! Dad's beach was fly free.

I hope today - Thursday - went well for both of you in all respects, and that your last two days do likewise.

I add my thanks to others, it has been wonderful to come here and share your experiences in India. Your descriptions of everything, your photos, videos bring it very much to life.

Hoping you are peacefully asleep.

Many thoughts and love
Loo xxx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Day 27

It is now noon and there is no let up of the heat. Martin tells me there was snow in the ground the other day at home. Such contrasts. I can't imagine the cold, like I couldn't imagine the heat here before we came. I was suffering from SAD so a month in the light and sunshine has done me much good. I haven't had one day of illness since being here and I feel incredibly well. I thought I had Delhi belly once but it wasn't.

Sylvia has been the perfect holiday companion. Again, there hasn't been a moment of tension between us. We balanced each other out very well as we are very different.

Tomorrow us our only complete day here in Rishikesh. Sunday we head for Delhi. We are both now looking forward to being home after an amazing time in India. This afternoon I hope to make one last trip into Lachsmanjhule for some last minute gifts.

I keep forgetting to tell you about the donkeys. The other day as we toddled down the steps for our breakfast, we were met by a train of donkeys carrying bricks up to our hotel. It really was an amazing sight. The bricks were precariously placed either side of each donkey and a man had to keep picking up the bricks that were dropped. I was glad to get my feet out of the way to save them the pain of being hit by a loose brick, would you believe it, it was the first day I didn't have my iPad with me for photographs.

Yesterday we had arranged for Govind, our tuk tuk driver to take us on a sight seeing tour. It was a mystery ride because we had no idea where he would take us. We set off and he asked us if we would like to go to Haridwar. We were delighted to be taken so far. I took some great pictures and videos but this time on my camera rather than my iPad. I will have to post them when I get home to my desktop computer. We travelled through some amazing countryside and I was thrilled when we came across a homestead. Huts made of thin cane with roofs made of the same. A bit like a thatched structure. It seemed to be a small farmstead.

Govind wanted us to see loads of temples on the way. The first one was absolutely beautiful. There were fountains, flowers growing everywhere and many Indian tourists. The others didn't do much for either of us but we were glad we went. A highlight was when he took us to an ashram which had many temples in the ground. The children there made it a very memorable visit for us and, most likely, for the children too. I think Sylvia will be good at telling the children story. Eventually, we reached the Ganges in Haridwar and I did quite a big walk there. I was amazed at the amount of Indian tourists. I don't think I came across any white tourists whilst there, which is just the way I like it. We got back just as it became dark.

Sylvia and I had a little farewell gift for Govind for being our Brabaker (for those of you who have read Shantaram). He has given us great experiences and looked after us very well. We promised him we would write to him and I am looking forward to sending him some photos of himself with us. I really felt touched at saying our farewells. He blessed our lives whilst here and I'm sure we have blessed his life.

Love

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
Hi Helen and Sylvia I just wanted to thank you for sharing your adventure. I hope to make it to India myself one day and have found your posts inspiring. I am tempted to have a phonetic exchange with you Sylvia but I am not sure if I am using the same spelling system as you. So I will give it 'achar ji' just for old times sake.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I'm not the linguist Grey Lad. All I've managed in a month is ' daniabad ' . Helens the one holing conversations in Hindi with all and sundry and she has delighted every one of them.

Now about the children ..........

We stopped at an ashram for sadhus.

The women there were cleaners/ caretakers and the children were on holiday , the holiday which prevented us floating Dhiren's ashes on 23rd. so were there with their mothers. They surrounded us immediately, practising their English , asking our names, where we lived, they were all bright sparks, lively inquisitive and smiley.they laughed at our attempt to repeat their names. They guided us to view all the temples to the different g-ds. They loved having their photos taken with us except for one boy who refused. Even so he stayed with us, enjoying the novelty of our visit.

We gave them some money to put in the collection boxes and our loose change for themselves, luckily having enough for all of them. A couple of the older boys, about 11 or 12 years old, refused the money. They were full of dignity, very impressive.

A sadhu came to us and asked a few questions in halting English including why we came. I told him about Dhiren's ashes. He asked his name and where he came from and when I told him and he nodded in recognition I could feel Dhiren smiling.

He allowed us to take photos of him and when we were done he took out his own smart phone and photographed us. Everyone seems to have a phone even if they don't have a bed .

The children took their leave and we went on our way.

On the last stop Govind the tuk tuk driver told us to be careful of pickpockets . This is what was so wonderful about him, he looked after us so nicely. I didn't fancy it , it was a park *** market place leading to another area of the Ganges and in addition to visitors, there were lots of people begging. I Was tired and didn't feel like being hassled so I let Helen go and stayed talking to the Govind our tuk tuk driver.

He was asking about our pensions and paying for education. He gets no pension because he's self employed and didn't earn enough to pay for a stamp. He pays for his children's education post 16 and has seen 2 through university. His 12 year old will get a grant due to changes in provision but he missed out with his other two.

It was lovely to talk to him. He was curious about our lives , as curious as we were about his.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Such interesting accounts of your outing with Govind, Helen and Sylvia.
Waht a lot of wonderful memories you have to take home with you and to sustain you for such a long time in the future.
Make the most of today but I guess it's nearly over for you now! xxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you Saffie.

We had another restful day out of the sun although I can't say it was any cooler in the shade.

We paid a final visit to the town and the river this evening, another good walk. Helen wanted to video a group of Indian tourists gathering by a sugar cane juicer. She was overwhelmed by people wanting to be videoed and photographed again and again , mostly with me because Helen had the camera, and we really couldn't get away.

We went into a couple of small shops mooching about and looking for sandalwood mala beads and leather water bottle carriers. We realised what we failed to mention is every shop we've been in, regardless of size, has seating for customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife