A new stage in my life...................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
A few more

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 453
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 449
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 421

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Thank you Izzy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 444
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 468
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 458

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Many thanks for the photos, Helen, and the video - and Izzy for your excellent rotating. Very much appreciated.

What a wonderful achievement, wonderful adventure. I felt I was there…..

Although I would have been terrified of the journey up into the mountains as I am not good with heights. But have had similar experiences, in the Scottish Highlands in past years when there were numerous similar narrow twisty, bendy roads up and down mountains - and still are some!

Also in Spain when we hired a car for a few days on several holidays and went exploring. However, after reading Sylvia’s words that the drops in Spain were like nursery slopes in comparison, I probably experienced no where like the same as you two did! :eek: You have my admiration and also 308 steps! Well done!

It sounded well worth it though. Good to see and hear the video. Do you know how high up you were? The views would be breath-taking. Was it cooler up there?

Not at all fed up with the photos Helen, nor videos - never fed up! I am soaking it all up! It is such a privilege to be sharing some of your adventures with you. Thank you both.

How was your second Ayurvedic massage Helen?

After such an adventurous day of achievements I hope sleep was less evasive, Sylvia, and you each slept like babes.

With love and appreciation
Loo xxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It wasn't cooler at all Loo. The only shade was on the staircases. Mind you , on the return journey we did feel the air warming as we descended so perhaps it was a little cooler but still very hot indeed

On our journey we passed people walking up the mountainside. Some were obviously visitors , others residents. We saw dwellings on the mountainside. I don't know how access was gained nor do I know how those dwellings survived in winter. Even here in our hotel there are very strong winds in the early hours.

And the people who weren't visitors, it was difficult to work out where they were coming from and where they were going to.

It is now 9.12pm. We have had a lovely meal at the outdoor taverna and are both ready for bed. I should sleep well tonight Loo. I hope you do too.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Thank you. Grey Lad, we leave our hotel next Sunday for an overnight stop in Delhi. Then Monday we fly non-stop to Heathrow. We will both get into our respective homes just before midnight.

I used to live in Austria and I can say confidently, we were VERY high up in the mountains. It was still hot but much fresher and cleaner air. We noticed it more on the way down because we reached a certain point and the air became oppressive. It is such good fortune that we are staying at a hotel which is high up and away from the thick, hot air and the continuous noise that Rishikesh 'town' offers. Neither of us had been here before so we booked in trust that it would be right for us. Someone must have known we could survive a month without a mop and bucket and a loo desperately in need of a ton of bleach:D

Dear Loo, my Ayurvedic massage was wonderful. I had a different female masseur who did things differently but equally good. I have my final one on Wednesday and I have opted for the kind Sylvia has which incorporates hot oil pads. It is more expensive but a full hour for £9 is a gift not to be missed.

Love

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
I think you are both brilliant to be able to survive a month without a ton of bleach - I don't think I could survive a day without bleach - bleaching keeps me sane. I thought the pictures of you both in the mountains were great - what wonderful views you must have had from up there with the clouds in the distance. Where to next, ladies?
Hope you have a peaceful journey home to England - will be thinking of you WIFE

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
OLiving here has shown us both what we can live without and how much we take for granted.

I'm not saying we intend to give up on our basic hygiene but touch wood what we have done without hasn't affected us in any way. What we have experienced has changed our outlook, I think for the better.

We have eaten well, slept well, exercised well and relaxed well.

We both feel the benefit of this month in India in every way possible.

We have discussed changes we hope to make.

i hope we are able to make then and stay with them.

It's not over yet. We still have a week to go.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
OLiving here has shown us both what we can live without and how much we take for granted.

I'm not saying we intend to give up on our basic hygiene but touch wood what we have done without hasn't affected us in any way. What we have experienced has changed our outlook, I think for the better.

We have eaten well, slept well, exercised well and relaxed well.

We both feel the benefit of this month in India in every way possible.

We have discussed changes we hope to make.

i hope we are able to make then and stay with them.

It's not over yet. We still have a week to go.

This sounds wonderful, Sylvia. I'm so pleased your trip is going so well and is having such a profound effect :)

All the best

Lindy xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
We both had an afternoon nap and felt much better for it. I woke up drenched by the heat and needed a shower and a complete change of clothing.

We went out at 4.30pm and again our trusty tuk tuk driver indicated which driver we were to have . Helen asked him to give us another sightseeing tour on Thursday.

Helen is doing so well with her Hindi. I can't remember all the words she knows but she can now conduct a simple conversation in Hindi to the delight of everyone she speaks to. I'm the dummy here. I can't hear the words properly and seem unable to remember what I do hear .

It's our anniversary today. I know some people don't count anniversaries after one of the partners has died but it's still the anniversary of the day we married and even if I have to remember it on my own, I will do so. I bought myself an aum pendant to wear on a chain in memory of Dhiren's Hindu heritage.

Helen bought some wonderful chakra jewellery for her daughter.

We walked through the town , over the bridge and back to our Taverna for dinner. It's still stifling but our walk did us both good.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
I think it gets hotter and hotter as each day goes by. I had the simplest, lightest clothing on this morning and ten minutes later I am wet through with perspiration literally dripping off me. I'm not complaining as I prefer the heat to cold but a happy medium for all of us would be ideal.

The Kunjapuri temple we went to yesterday is 1,645 metres high. Higher than Ben Nevis Sylvia tells me. We were offered another trip tomorrow by the restaurant owner/manager to another temple high in the mountains. We declined. We are temples out!! It would mean putting our alarms on for an early start, which neither of us wants to do. We like our natural awakening and contemplative hour or two before we venture downstairs for a drink. We may go to the waterfalls tomorrow. We are thinking of getting a taxi there and then walking back. We are both so much fitter. One of the managers of the hotel, Veer, said he had noticed that Sylvia's knee had greatly improved with all the steep climbs and steps. When Sylvia confirmed it was much better he seemed delighted.

I am enjoying learning Hindi. I have no progressed to being able to hold a small conversation and I now understand what is being said to me. I love to see their smiling faces as I ask how they are and when I respond to their enquiry of how I am. I can't wait to learn something new tomorrow.

Here's a couple of pictures of us this morning.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 405
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 446

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I think it's marvelous you're learning Hindi, Helen, and I am very impressed by the speed at which you've picked it up. You are obviously a person with an affinity for languages.

Status
Not open for further replies.