A new friend !

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
This afternoon I went to see Mum in the NH and she looked so well. I was later told that she has put on some weight, which is good news. She had also asked for her new friend( in the NH) to come and see her, and the lady was chatting to Mum when I arrived. They were actually having a proper conversation and Mum was listening and responding. Her friend sounded as if she came from the same area of North London as Mum, and the way she talked reminded me of my Grandmother (including the swear words!) Later, Mum asked where the "girl" had gone, and I think the lady must have reminded her of people in her past.
I also noticed that Mum was much more aware of what was happening on TV and made some comments about the tennis. She seemed like her old self. I'm just hoping that this "up" stays for a long time.
Is it common for Vascular Dementia sufferers to make new friends? It certainly has done Mum good.:)

Lila13

Feb 24, 2006
So glad your mother has someone she can chat with in there, reminding her of former times.

Lila

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
A new friend

It seems that now, Mum and her new friend spend most of the day together in Mum's room. They chat together and repeat the same conversations, but it doesn't matter as they both have poor short term memories. The staff report that the friendship is doing them both good, and they each think they are helping the other person. Mum thinks she is giving her friend some company, and the friend thinks that Mum will cry again if she leaves her. The nurses say that Mum likes a lot of attention. The only problem I can see in the future, is if the friend becomes ill or moves away.
It is almost as if Mum is back to her old self. Then today, Mum asked me where her son had gone to. When I reminded her that she didn't have a son, she just said, "Oh no! Of course I haven't, I forgot!"