A Mouthwash or Toothpaste that doesn't need spitting out?!

myss

Jan 14, 2018
Hello All. My family have recently brought Mum home from years in a care home as my Dad passed away last year and there was now space and capacity to care for her at their home.

Although the majority of the staff there were amicable when she was there, from the moment it was approved that she was leaving, the assistance and information re. caring for her was very limited. I know there was a NHS mobile dentist that visited the care home but they've not given his details despite asking twice or how they cared for her teeth as Mum does not gargle or spit out.

I have now asked her new GP for a referral for the mobile dentist and through research I found out about dental swabs and 3-sided toothbrushes but I had hope to be using them with 'something' as I don't think the care home had been looking after her teeth properly for a while. My sister thinks there is some tablet that you can put in water and use as a mouthwash that Mum can use??? I'd be grateful for your suggestion or details on what you use.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
My OH doesn't spit so I bought a toothpaste free from fluoride, it's not cheap.
However when I needed him to see the dentist as he started grinding his teeth, I mentioned it to the dentist and he said don't worry about it, he would need to eat tubes full of toothpaste for it to have any effect. I also bought him some Listerine 'Go Tabs' that he can chew and safely swallow, again not inexpensive.

myss

Jan 14, 2018
Thanks for the reply Rosetta. I think I seen the Listerine tabs but my Mum may not be able to chew (the care home had her on puree food due to an operation years ago but we've been advised to continue with this).

millalm

Oct 9, 2019
Colgate makes a toddler toothpaste called Zero which I use with a toddler toothbrush, there is no flouride or flavour so I am able to brush Mum's teeth without her sucking on the brush or having to spit :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa