A month since my mum passed...

peterc1981

Jun 15, 2011
Stirling, Scotland
After a brave 13 year fight with dementia, my mum Ruth sadly passed away on 29th March after a stroke at the age of 79. My dad passed away in 2004, so at the age of 37 I find myself as an adult orphan.

I loved my mum loads and have really struggled to come to terms with the huge void in my life. My mum had been in the care system for the last 7 years of her life, spending time in two care homes - the last one since January 2017 where she really got the best of care. I visited her nearly every day and was very involved with her care. I bought all her clothing for her and topped up her toiletries and food and drink treats weekly. She loved Haribos and Capri Suns!!!

I’m an only child and felt an obligation to look after my mum after my dad passed, I really loved visiting her and seeing her face. I work full time and was lucky to get word a new care home was being built in the business park next to my workplace. Moving her there was a no brainer, a new modern care home for my mum to enjoy her later years. This really benefited both of us and I could tell she was being looked after better.

Over the years her dementia progressed and after a fall a few years ago she ended up losing her mobility, she spent her last years in a wheelchair. She became much more affectionate and had a beautiful smile and cheeky little laugh. Her clarity of speech really tailed off in the last couple of years but I loved getting a smile or little chuckle from her!

She passed away two weeks short of her 80th birthday, where I had everything planned for a big party at the care home for her.

Since her passing, I arranged a beautiful funeral for her and have created a memorial at the care home she passed away peacefully in. In the gardens is a nice wooden bench inscribed with a tribute to her. I also arranged for a large ceramic planter where her ashes are buried in a mason jar, the planter also contains a lovely pink rose bush - her favourite colour and flowers.

I’ve signed up as a volunteer with Alzheimer Scotland and am getting involved with running a reminiscing group centred around football, which I am very interested in and hope to help others remember memories and enjoy. I also enjoy going into her old care home to visit the residents and staff who looked after my mum.

I miss her every day but will cherish that last little smile she gave me two days before she passed. I never left her side throughout her final two days post stroke and was holding her hand when she took her last breath.

I still can’t shake certain images from my mind. I returned to work last Monday but struggle to retain focus and am not sleeping great. Hopefully things get easier...

I wrote a poem for her funeral which I have attached, this details my dementia journey with her.

Attachments

• 631C5756-411D-4AFB-81FF-796DF1D9BFB3.jpeg
    631C5756-411D-4AFB-81FF-796DF1D9BFB3.jpeg
    267.9 KB · Views: 498
Last edited:

Murper1

Jan 1, 2016
Thanks for writing about your Mum; really from the heart. I was also lucky that my Mum was affectionate right up to the end. It is great that you are supporting the care home she lived in. I wish you well for the future.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @peterc1981
sad news: my condolences on your loss
your post is truly touching; a heartfelt tribute to your mum from a loving, caring son
the memorials are lovely
and I'm so glad you are volunteering and so creating a living legacy in honour of your mum, Ruth - I bet she'd be beaming with pride

Marcelle123

Nov 9, 2015
Yorkshire
That is very touching - your Mum sounds lovely, and you did your very best for her.
May she rest in peace. Best wishes to you, that you find peace and solace. xx

Cybersis

Nov 7, 2017
What a lovely poem about your mother from a very caring and devoted son. She was blessed to have a son like you. I miss my momma everyday too. I lost her in October last year.

pinkotron

Jun 30, 2017
Lots of love to you.

Your story struck me as so similar to my own.

I'm in almost the same boat. I'm 35, only child, father passed away 11 years ago and I lost my Mom to medical complications of dementia at the start of March.

I'm finding this whole orphan only child thing really destabilising and a lot of the things you are going through and are feeling are very similar to my experience.

I promised my Dad I would take care of my Mom and now that is suddenly gone it's very very weird.
I put a lot of thought into her funeral but now I'm at a bit of a loss and as you said, back at work, struggling to focus on much.

I know it doesn't help but sometimes there is comfort in solidarity I find.

Look after yourself it sounds like you did your Dad proud in the care you took of your Mother.
xx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misty24