A marvellous song - it helped me

Meniheklake

Oct 15, 2003
Just a brief note to fellow care givers... I have discovered, through a friend, a marvellous song which talks about a woman with Alzheimer's - and the love that surrounds her. I have included a link (this is all free and non commercial) in case any of you might like to read the lyrics and/or listen to the song. I can tell you it made me cry but it also helped some how.

That's all for now, best wishes to everyone.

ML

Here is the link for the song (MP3) which is called, "Where's John?"

http://www.songaweek.com/lyrics/10062003_wheresjohn.html

susan

Aug 18, 2003
east sussex
wonderful

Thank you for 'where's John' a lovely song and have printed it off for my mum - what a slow destroying illness SW

Angela

May 28, 2003
Wales
I liked the words but not the music.
A song I like is Trouble by Coldplay, It makes me cry!
The society have made a video too, with this music in the background, which we use for training purposes, it briefly shows a gentleman within his home and how his memory and confusion causes problems for both him and his wife.

Im not sure what it is supposed to be about, but the words ring true for what I imagine a dementia sufferer to feel.
Heres my attempt at some of the words, in no order

Oh no I see, a spider web is tangled up with me
And i lost my head, thought of all the stupid things id said

Oh no whats this? A spider web and Im caught in the middle
So i turn to run, thought of all the stupid things id done
I never meant to cause you trouble, I never meant to do you wrong
But oh if i ever caused you trouble, oh no i never meant to do you harm

Oh no I see, a spider web and its me in the middle
So i twist and turn, but here am i, in my little bubble

They spun a web for me, they spun a web for me, they spun a web for me.

susan

Aug 18, 2003
east sussex
Dear Angela
Don't laugh but i only got the words-no music - obviously you are are more IT friendly than me! The one you wrote on the e mail is lovely as well - can i access it anywhere on the web? Kind regads Sue

Angela

May 28, 2003
Wales
Hi Susan
I found I was able to listen to the music by clicking on a link above the words. I thought that song was ..... very american, quite old country type.
As for the song I like, I know you can download it from Kazaa. You will have to download this service www.kazaa.com its a music file sharing thingy, like you read about on the news. As for anywhere else, not that literate Im afraid!
x

nickyboy

Oct 21, 2003
where's john

I think the music and lyrics are perfect together.

The song is brilliant....and leaves a lump in my throat.

Anybody touched by this horrible disease should listen to it.

Meniheklake

Oct 15, 2003
Music at the nursing home

My mother-n-law fell this week and broke her back... she fell from a staircase onto a sidewalk. So nursing home was required after a brief stay in hospital.

While visiting with the staff, I mentioned this song and this group - we were speaking of support. One of the nurses put the song on her computer in the office.

Tears all around - but a sense that love does not fail. Of course this is not one of the songs that would help the afflicted, but it seems to help the families and care givers. Funny how a sad song can make one feel happier.

Music has power. Mother-in-law shares a room with a much more advanced case - so it's a bit like staring into the future as we sit and read to her, watching her roommate.

I wish you all peace.

ML

Colin

Oct 30, 2003
Ohio, USA
Brilliant, sensitive song

My wife and I have recently started looking after her mother, who has become just about totally disfunctional. We were all in denial when the signs first started to appear - but, as the song says, "In time she couldn't hide it..."

This is a great site by the way. We do not really have access to support groups in this area - we have found the posts to this group most helpful.

As for this song, it really hits the nail on the head - as if the writer was observing us in our own circumstances. The songwriter must have lived through this himself. He should get an award!

Regards,

Colin,
Ohio USA

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abelbeyene2015