A little sympathy please

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Glad it was helpful. I remember how frustrating it was, doing exactly what the professionals told us to do and finding that it usually made a difficult situation more difficult.

I also found, BTW, that some of the dietary things we were doing were not helping. For a long time I gave Sue raspberries and probiotic yogurt every day. When I stopped, there was a big improvement - a shame, because she liked them. The only times she's had raspberries and yogurt since, there have been fresh problems. The yogurt might not have been culpable but I now avoid it to be on the safe side.

When I was poorly a few years ago, the 'in thing' was milk. It made me feel ten times worse! I tried a small amount of yoghurt - same effect. It doesn't always work. I'm off to read your link Stanley.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Who would have thought one could get excited about pooh!!! The prunes have worked three days in a row and vast amounts keep on appearing out of all proportion to intake. Just as well I knew there was a partial obstruction even if the medics didn't.
The truly scary thing is how many dementia sufferers have to be ignored, misdiagnosed and subjected to unnecessary discomfort because 'it's not that important'

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Who would have thought one could get excited about pooh!!! The prunes have worked three days in a row and vast amounts keep on appearing out of all proportion to intake. Just as well I knew there was a partial obstruction even if the medics didn't.
The truly scary thing is how many dementia sufferers have to be ignored, misdiagnosed and subjected to unnecessary discomfort because 'it's not that important'

So glad things have improved so well for you and hubby. As for the last question, I'm finding out just how very important it is, now, for people to start taking notice of what I've been trying to push for, for years - that someone would see my husband IS, actually, ill.

Get da feelin' they're beginning to take notice, now, after a week of him being in hospital. We shall see.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Thanks chuggs. Now we just have to try to sort out the bubbling in his throat which makes it hard for him to breathe and eat. Not an important thing again but another thing that drags us both down.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Thanks chuggs. Now we just have to try to sort out the bubbling in his throat which makes it hard for him to breathe and eat. Not an important thing again but another thing that drags us both down.

Oh dear. Wiv my blokie, it's a discomfort in his chest that I can usually help with by giving him lemonade, or some such.

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Bemused, is the bubbling from an accumulation of mucous? In case it is, try reducing or eliminating dairy produce for a few days to see if that helps. Some experts say dairy produce is mucilaginous - it increases the production of mucous but not all agree! However, it does seem to be agreed that they do alter the thickness of phlegm. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/common-cold/expert-answers/phlegm/faq-20058015 Maybe try soya or oat "milk" instead?

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
,,Have tried that Celia but so far the only thing which has helped is hyoscine patches but they don't seem to be working so well. But it does make life tricky for him.

dumpygirl

Nov 20, 2013
derbyshire
I am a big fan of prunes. I have them each morning for breakfast and an orange. It really does work. I also have prune juice each evening and that seems to work.
My mum was a nurse/midwife for many years and she used to call the prunes "the black coated workers". It is all very natural and pleasant. I also put some all bran with my Oatabix and all these added together keep me comfortable and regular.
Notice I said Oatabix and not Weetabix. I find that works for me and the Weetabix used to give me wind. Oatabix does not do that.
I do hope things will improve for you very soon.
Take care and look after yourself. It is very important that you stay well and in control as caring for anyone with this disease calls for lots of energy and patience.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
We were doing so well until yesterday, back to just almost clear liquid.
Now my friends another question for you. The bubbling leads to coughing up phlegm. Which then leads to over the top throat clearing to make himself cough. Which goes on day and night until I'm fit to be tied! I've tried honey and lemon (don't like that) antihistamines in case its an allergy, getting annoyed with him(definitely counter productive) and everything I can think of.

So lovely people, does anyone have any ideas before I finish up being carted away?

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I know it's not answering your question (sorry) but is the cough productive? I only ask because Sue seems unable to 'cough it up' and this is worrying and she has on occasion vomited a bit as a result.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
I know it's not answering your question (sorry) but is the cough productive? I only ask because Sue seems unable to 'cough it up' and this is worrying and she has on occasion vomited a bit as a result.

Sometimes yes, thick mucous and he also has difficulty coughing . That then leads to the infuriating making himself cough which isn't productive. Not his cult but so difficult to live with

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Many thanks. This is just the kind of thing that we might reasonably expect medics to be able to deal with. I can accept that there's very little they can do about many of the problems PWD have, but this one should surely be pretty straightforward.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Many thanks. This is just the kind of thing that we might reasonably expect medics to be able to deal with. I can accept that there's very little they can do about many of the problems PWD have, but this one should surely be pretty straightforward.

No comment Stanley!!

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Thank you cat, as he doesn't have cold I doubt whether its occurred to anyone, like Stanley said!.
Contacted the SALT so hopefully she can help

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Time to tear my hair out!!!
District nurse came for weekly check today. Talked to her re the coughing. You need the SALT again she said, give her a ring and ask her to bring his review forward. Do you have her number. Here it is. Rang her 'They should not have given you my number, either they or the GP need to refer him again .'
Does the left hand know what the right hand is doing?????

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Waiting for a visit from Dr AGAIN this time its the mucous which is reaching epic proportions. I didn't actually ask for a visit but she rang me back almost as soon as I had finished speaking to the receptionist. Not at all used to that from this practice!
Hoping they can do something, its dreadful listening to it how much worse must it be experiencing it?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson