A little help, please

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Have just sat with my finger on the delete button for the last fifteen minutes wiping out my latest blog entry because, at apparently 13,075 characters (I'm such a wordy person), it was much too long. No way could I begin to work out how to cut it down to 10,000 characters. Are you able to give me any idea at all how far (even roughly) 10,000 characters go? My blog, for example, was just over 3 pages of A4 long. Would 10,000 characters fit onto 2 pages? Or am I asking how long is a piece of string? (You are permitted to put your heads together and have a chortle over this query ...). I still have it elsewhere on the computer, incidentally, so all is not lost. Love, Nan XXX

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Nan

You should reckon 3000 to 5000 characters per page, so 10000 might fit onto two pages, or might not.

Why don't you divide your entry in half, and post it as two separate blog entries?

Love,

PS if your entry of 13000 characters takes three plus pages, you're reckoning around 4-5000 per page, so you'd probably get 10000 on two pages.

Last edited:

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
It depends whether you write your blog direct, online. Or whether you write your blog offline, in Word, say.

If you do it offline, in Word, you can set it to display the number of words/characters as you type. (Bottom of screen)

Then you log in, copy and paste from Word into your blog.

On a good day. And if you don't know how to set Word to display the number of words/characters as you type, then ask again. And all will be revealed.

But in brief, and it varies, if you see the number of words displayed as you type (at bottom of screen), then double click on the number of words displayed and a pop-up should show you the number of characters used.

Not always, but .. that's the way it works for me.

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Hello Hazel and JPG, and thank you both for your replies. Have in the past cut and pasted from a Google blog and have typed straight in at the blog site itself, but this evening typed it all at WordPad first. Is there some method of discovering the number of characters/words at that site too? Wouldn't it be ideal if one could run the cursor down the page and be given the number of characters ... Will "all be revealed"? Posted my last blog in two halves, unintentionally. Perhaps I shall have to do it again. Or simply not post it at all, as it was entitled "An awful day" (which was yesterday) and to-day I am feeling much better about everything. (See what I mean about being a wordy person.) Love, Nan XXX

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Post it, Nan. I think you should record the bad days as well as the good!

Sorry, can't help with WordPad.

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Wordpad is a very simple little piece! I never use it, so can't help you with that one.

Why not use Word itself, then you can count characters, words, paragraphs, lines .... or whatever takes your fancy.

In Word, if you only want to count the number of words or characters in one paragraph, then just select and highlight that paragraph and .. hey, presto .. count!

I always copy and paste, rather than cut and paste, just in case the cut is ... terminal! Which it can be if you accidentaly hit the delete or the return key, when ... absent-minded.

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Go down left. Left Click on Start ... go up and find Microsoft Word.

Wordpad is a very simplistic piece of kit that has been available for donkeys years now. But most computers sold since ... can't remember when ... have all had Word somewhere in your balance.

Microsoft Word is ... available on most computers and has been ... since ... long while now.

Word is definitely available on Vista.

Go down left, click on Start and... if all else fails,just type WORD into the box!

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Well, no answers to that one.

Apart from ... your pc can't be that old if it has Vista, so go ask the persons who sold it to you, or ask Terry who should be able to sort it for you. It won't take longer than one minute, so don't feel that you are imposing.

I have never known a Vista-enabled pc without Word in some form or other.

What happens if you type "works" into that same box? Does it come up with "Works word processor"???

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
This computer is only a year or so old JPG. If I type Works into the box the search magnifying glass changes into a X

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
So you left-click on START,

What appears above, before you even type anything?

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Hi - Me again. Should have said "copy and paste" earlier, but in any case have now tried to split it in two. Pasted the second half into my blog box (so when posted parts one and two would appear in the right order) and was told - consternation! - that it contained 97,675 characters. So perhaps I mis-read 130,000 for 13,000 earlier. Must be seriously more wordy than I thought. Thank you again for your efforts to help me, but I think I am beyond help ... Am abandoning the whole thing and going to bed now. Goodnight to you all. Love, Nan XXX

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
So you left-click on START,

What appears above, before you even type anything?

Email
Music
Media Centre
Mozilla
Wordpad
Notepad
Default Programmes
Adobe Reader 8
Freecell
Solitaire

On my other computer ith Windows XP I get Word.

Never mind. Thanks for trying. I will ask. I must get to bed now. Goodnight.

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Then what happens if you type WORD into that box, then hit return.

What appears in the Programs list?

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
WordPad is part of Windows, so every computer has it. It's very basic, and doesn't have anything loke the features Word has.

Word is part of the Microsoft Office Suite, which will be pre-loaded on some computers, but if not you have to buy it separately. It's quite expensive though, unless you're prepared to 'pirate'.

PS Did you get a set of Office discs with your previous computer Sylvia, or was it pre-loaded? If you have the discs, you can load them onto your new one -- provided you still have the key code to register them.

Last edited:

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Skye said:
It's quite expensive though

you can buy it for less than £56 at Amazon and the licence covers 3 PCs, and it also includes the spreadsheet Excel and PowerPoint.

For the price, it is excellent value.....

N.B. there are other places where it can be bought - I cited Amazon as that's where I bought mine ages ago. I use it on our 3 PCs so it may be better value for me than for someone where there is only a single PC in the house.