A little confused re SCAN

Natashalou

Mar 22, 2007
london
Last week mum was ill and the docs said they had done an MRI scan and found a mass in her abdomen,this was worrying. They said they were doing more tests, which I assumed would be blood tests etc...but now I have discovered that today they are doing an ultrasound..this is a whole week later and still they do not know what this mass is.
Because mums in a mental health unit its dificult to speak to medical doctors (the doc who met with us last week was a psychologist and made it clear she couldnt answer med questions)
What is the difference between an ultrasound ( I thought this was for ante natal!!)and an MRI does anyone know coz I dont see how another scan is going to get to the bottom of whats actually wrong with her???

ella24

Nov 9, 2008
South Coast UK
Hiya

the ultrasound helps to work out the texture/density of the mass.

The procedure is simple, but like a pregnancy scan, they apply a cold jelly to the skin and then rub/press the scan part over the skin. From this they can measure the mass and see if it is a single dense mass or has other parts to it or is more liquid/water (say a like cyst)

hope this helps

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Natashlou .... given a long history of accompanying dad, mum and hubby to various scans over the years (with a couple thrown in for me) you think I’d know my MRI from a CT or ultrasound ... sadly not. Consultants differ (and we’re not talking brainscans here of course) ... approaches differ ..... diagnostics differ ...... all I would say at this stage, if they can diagnose mum’s ‘mass’ by scanning and blood tests and therefore avoiding any more invasive procedures than an odd needle and avoiding procedures requiring anaesthetic then that has to be for the good .....

Don’t be fobbed off (you strike me as some who won’t be!) with one doctor saying they can’t answer your questions – ask them which doctor can – and insist on speaking to them .... if mum’s medical needs are overtaking other needs then one consultant must be the ‘lead’ and you need to be speaking to him/her ....

Love, Karen, x

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
In women ultra sound scans can also be given internally, not to uncomfortable. So I suppose all those gives a different dimension to aid diagnose. Much better than opening someone up unnecessarily

Natashalou

Mar 22, 2007
london
thank you for all replies. Well, mum had her scan , also nasty tests with camera down throat and rectum..but she had a kind of light anaesthetic like nervous people get in the dentist, so I dont think it upset her that much , but now we have to wait at least a week for results...now have meeting with med doc next Friday to discuss matters