A little advice needed please

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
My wife is in the latter stages of AD at the age of 59. After having an active life she is now confined to short walks and little exercise with the consequence that she is putting on weight.

She is at home and totally in my care, the Community Mental Health workers have, apart from supplies of Ebixa, withdrawn to assist other people who can gain benefit from their administrations.

All this is leading up to the fact that I can manage quite well thankyou except in the area of underclothes. She really needs some new bra's and I have not got a clue how to measure so that we get one which is comfortable and useful.

Any ideas would be welcome please.

maudie

Jul 5, 2006
Cambridgeshire
Hi there. Bra sizes are denoted as 32, 34, 36, etc, with the letter after each size denoting the cup size, etc. The usual way to measure is under the bust ie. 36". Then you need to determine the cup size i.e. a, b, c, d etc. This is more difficult but 'a' is the smallest and I think it goes up to about 'g' which is much larger. This is a bit hit and miss I know, but apparently half the women in the UK are wearing the wrong size! But comfort is everything. I am sure most shops would let you purchase a couple of varying sizes on a sale or return basis and although most shops offer a fitting service, I appreciate that its not always easy to get the person to the shop! Good luck, Maudie.:)

May

Oct 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi Grommit
Just to add, we bought new bra's for Mum a short while ago, same make as she's always worn but she's not comfortable in them now. In hindsight I would maybe go for a sports bra or 'soft' not structured type style, they tend to be more comfy and not as 'cantilevered'......if you see what I mean!:eek:

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
Thank you

Thank you everyone for your assistance. I will be putting this into practice very shortly and hope that I can do it justice.

The website address gave some very useful hints and I shall certainly keep an eye out for the sports version.

I always feel a little self concious wandering round the underwear sections of department stores so I will try a catalogue I think.

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
Hi Grommit,
How about Mail Order (Catalogues such as Kaleidoscope, Kays, etc., or the internet)? Postage on a selection of several styles and sizes of bras is probably not going to be more than your petrol or bus fare to the shops, and your wife could try them on in the comfort of your home and at any time that suits. Returns are usually free of charge, either via the Post Office or you can just as easily have them collected by courier.

By the way: you can browse most catalogues on the web, i.e. www.kaleidoscope.co.uk.

Good luck!

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Grommit
don't you know a lady who would help?
I ask my wonderful carer who will get knicks etc when my wife needs them.
There again I am spoilt these days and loving it!!
Norman
PS
I heard of a man who went into a ladies shop and asked for a bra, size 13 for his wife
When asked where did he get that size from he replied that one of his wife's boobs would fit in his top hat!!! That was size 61/2 so it was 61/2 x 2 =13.

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
Thanks again

I have managed to get hold of a catalogue, full of useful tips on measuring for underwear and other clothes.

I wish I had known about this sooner as I have been dragging the wife round stores trying on trousers that expose large portions of bottom and whose legs stretch the length of the clothes rack, not to mention the tops that seem to want to fit just under the chin and no lower.

I think i will make enquiries to see if the local Alzheimers Society run courses for puddings like me that have had to enter the hitherto mysterious world of women and learn cooking, cleaning, washing, ironing, clothes buying and the thousand and one other things that Jean used to do.

How do you get the bed sheets from the washing machine to the clothes line without standing on hem or trailing them on the floor and, when you get there, what arm action is needed to throw the sheet over the line so that it hangs there whilst you get the pegs in place.

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
How do you get the bed sheets from the washing machine to the clothes line without standing on hem or trailing them on the floor and, when you get there, what arm action is needed to throw the sheet over the line so that it hangs there whilst you get the pegs in place.
Bless you Grommit, you buy a Laundry basket (although I bet your wife already has one!) and use it to carry the sheets from the w/machine to the line, then you don't "throw" the sheet, you lower the line so that you can reach it, peg up one corner of the sheet, then peg up the next bit along etc., whilst the unsecured clean sheet stays in the basket below until it's all been hoisted & pegged securely. If it's a windy day, double up on the pegs, or you might end up having to wash it again, or retrieve it from a neighbour's garden!
And speaking of neighbours, I'm sure they won't mind answering "How to ..." questions from a late-starting New Man!

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
Dear Grommit,
Practice makes perfect: you will be a pro in no time!
I know how you feel, my trials and errors are with drills, rawl plugs and screws. I suspect I am likely to do more damage with those than you are with the pegs.;)
Good luck.

Grommit

Apr 26, 2006
Doncaster
rice

Thanks for the help everyone and just wondered if anyone has an idea why my boiled rice just congeals in the pan like a glutinous mass, occasionally heaving itself up on one side and emitting a loud sigh before returning to the rest of the mass.

When I taste it, the stuff is soggy on the outside and hard as nails inside.

Yes I do follow the instructions on the packet and time the stuff to within one nanosecond of the cooking time.

If cooking the stuff is such a black art, are there some incantations that I need to know?

catm

Jun 13, 2006
Merseyside
Rice..

Hi Grommit, cooking isn't really a black art, it's just that most of us have probably had a lot more practice than you! Good luck, I'm sure you're doing a sterling job!!!As far as the rice thing goes, the water has to be on a rolling boil (The water is really bubbling fast) before you add the rice, and you have to have about double the amount of water to rice, otherwise it won't cook all the way through. Oh, and don't forget to rinse the rice with freshly boiled water once you've drained it after it's cooked, it stops it sticking together.

Hope this helps

Cat.

DaisyG

Feb 20, 2006
North West England
If you are a BIG eater of rice.. I would buy a rice cooker !!

We had a flyer in the local paper the other day... and it's either LIDL or NETTO that have them on sale at £9.99.

I've had one in years... and love them.
All you have to do is... measure rice and water into pan ... turn on..... wait ..... thats it !!

Perfect fluffy rice every time.

Must follow instructions though.... and do not add too much water.

Happy Cooking !!