A lifelong friend and me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Wishing you all the best in your new home and that the move goes smoothly. Can you store things you don't quite want to get rid of but might not have room for in a storage facility or a friend's house? My mother in law's study has been filled with a lot of my son's stuff for the last two years. One of these days he'll have a place where he can get it out and use it.

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
Hi @Palerider. belated birthday greetings from me too. I hope the move goes smoothly today. Great news regarding visits - it is not before time that action is taken, great stuff ? ? ?

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Thanks everyone. Well the removal guys came and they made the whole process easier than I expected. One of the guys was ex-regular army and spotted a large picture of me in a leafy green suite and also my commissioning scroll so we hit it off straight away. He was ex-signals.

I felt quite lost if I am honest throughout the stripping of what was home. The memory of where home is I am afraid is stuck at the moment, as I keep on thinking 'its time to go home' followed by a natural urge to get in the car and drive there. This is going to take some getting use to after all that has gone before. Anyway tonight I am sat in the front room, the broadband is not yet up and runnning, but BT kindly sent me a mini hub and its actually working really well....so far! I am surrounded by umpteen boxes and furniture that doesn't quite fit but in time it will all work out, that I am sure. Back to civilisation after living in the middle of nowhere, that too will take some getting use to.

Farewell home, and farewell all that was left of an era.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Today I wasted time running to find mums slippers....the nightmare of rural posting. I ended up doing a 14 mile round trip to a small village post office to collect the delivery, despite having left clear instructions to leave said parcel in the brown shed at the back of the house. At least I won't have to face that anymore. By the time I had collected the parcel and driven another vintage mileage the clock had hit past 16:00. I was desperate to make sure mum had a new pair of extra wide slippers to trial having realised she is walking bare footed -not good. They are fab slippers very nicely lined with sheep skin and seude outer.

So now I am home and listening to endless tracks of music from the past. So far I have managed to get a new light erected, but the boxes remain sealed. So now is the time to take a knife to the sealing tape and start placing objects. I have a superb frame and mount and have decided this will take central place with a picture of mum....I haven't decided yet which one, there are so many fab pics.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Glad you managed to eventually get the slippers for Mum, they certainly clocked up some miles . The picture taking pride of place sounds perfect ? Would like to see it when you have it in position.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Lifting boxes upstairs to the very nicely hidden store cupboard. Somewhere a box has ben lost with all of the objects I favoured most in my 14 years of living in London :( with some items from the Whitechapel pottery, close to where I used to live for a while.

@Woo2 I finally chose this picture, it isn't what anyone would have expected, but I also didn't think of this myself at the start, but here is a photgraph that has always stayed in my head since this journey began, back at the beginning of a beautiful life....this little girl taught me everything I know about life
jean.jpg

Hayley JS

Feb 20, 2020
Well chosen, do you know who took it? It's a real little work of art, I keep looking at it and wondering what the smiley little girl was thinking. Is that her shadow she's looking at? Sorry, I'm so nosey!!

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
That is beautiful , you have chosen well.
Hope the task of emptying boxes goes ok .
We lost a huge box full of kitchen things , we moved ourselves so no one to blame but it is a mystery as the old house was checked multiple times and new one too but never found .

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Hi Simon, I bet it feels strange waking up in your new home!

There's that moment on waking where you think, 'Where the heck am I?'

[I imagine for some PWDs that happens all day long... :( ]

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Hi Simon, I bet it feels strange waking up in your new home!

There's that moment on waking where you think, 'Where the heck am I?'

[I imagine for some PWDs that happens all day long... :( ]

I know where I am when I wake, but being here is very odd at the moment. Its going to take a lot of time and routine for this to become 'normal'. Its all so final but not like when someone dies -its drawn out, long winded and numbing as each small part of what was falls away.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Today I drove over to the 'old' home and did some tidying up after moving out. Driving there was difficult because of course they are the same roads as before. With autumn in full majesty it was hard not to picture mum sat next to me chatting away about the trees and leaves as we drove along -so yes another silly teary moment. I gave the next door neighbour a fine bottle of Chablis 1st Cru and a small M&S gift card as a big thank you for chasing after mum often and also mowing the lawns for me. She said she didn't want me to go, there was a silence. We chatted for a short while and then it was time to head back.

Finally I have heard from the solicitors and they have released the contract pack, so in a few weeks I am hoping all is done, signed and sealed because it really is time now to move on -I can't keep on lookng back and reliving the same process again and again.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Yes it is an amazing photo isn't it @Grannie G. In answer to a previous question it was my grandad taking the picture, he and mum were very close which probably explains that smile she has. I'm sending a digital copy to have it printed into a larger size and then have it framed.

Last night I called aunt Ruth, one of two only surving immediate family mum has left. Ruth lost her husband several weeks ago and it was the first conversation I'd had with her since the funeral. Mum and Ruth were good friends throughout their lives, so it seemed right to chat about where things are now. We had a good catch up and she was amazingly helpful in telling me to move on. We talked briefly about lots of things from the past and it was good to have caught up, made me realise how mum would have thought about things as they are now.

Status
Not open for further replies.