A lifelong friend and me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Pleased to hear that you should get a visit to your Mum soon. Hope the positive start to viewing of the house brings about a sale soon.

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
I appreciate that it is additional work for the staff but It does not seem right that some Care Homes are allowing visits and others are not, especially taking into account your Mum’s situation. I hope the Care Home changes its policy soon.
Mum's home has said no visits until the end of July and you have to have a negative Coronavirus test and then only for half an hour. I live three and a half hours drive away. It's a long drive for a half an hour visit.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Hi @Palerider - me again!
Have been following but not posting.
Well done for all the hard work that has obviously paid off in terms of viewing response.
Now the fun begins ...... Hope everything goes just as you want it and here's to a quick and easy sale.
Even more importantly, I hope that you can get something organised to see Mum soon.
Take care and hugs to both of you.

Yes, hard work it was, I need a holiday to get over the leave I had to clear the house.

I am hoping people just either offer the asking price and if there is big interest then they will have to offer slightly more to make a decision easier for me. I won't be accepting cheeky offers and I have made that clear to the estate agent as I have already worked out the best asking price taking into consideration work that will no doubt need doing -new kitchen and bathroom plus decor refurb. Funnily the price I had in mind was £2k difference to the estate agents price, so I think I am pretty bang on with a fair price for what is a great property with lots of potential for expansion. I have 6 months to sell, so time to sit things out if need be ;)

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Pleased to hear that you should get a visit to your Mum soon. Hope the positive start to viewing of the house brings about a sale soon.

I hope so, the CH are having a meeting to decide on visiting and a way forward. Just waiting to see if an offer is coming in from yesterdays viewings, but its Sunday today :rolleyes:

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
That's brilliant news. We didn't get as many viewings as that in six months when we sold our previous place. Estate agents seem keen that the vendor isn't on the premises nowadays, so being at work seem a better option than mooching around trying to find an open café to wait in! Hope you get at least one good offer today.

Yes I get the feeling I am not wanted in the process, the estate agent said straight away 'I'll do the viewings and will need a key' -she was very clear. Its fine as I would rather not be here when viewings are being done anyway. I tried to sell a few years ago to get mum moved to a better location and mum insisted on following them round the house and pointing out things of no significance, drove the estate agent nuts -I would probably be the same in all honesty. In the end I took the property off the market when it bacame apparent moving to another area was no longer a good idea as mum wouldn't have coped when alone.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
When I sold mums place she wanted to be there as by that stage she didn’t trust anyone. I had to keep on going over and finding excuses to keep her out of the way. Hope there is some good news tomorrow about the house and you get the heads up for a visit to your mum.

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
Its fine as I would rather not be here when viewings are being done anyway.
Hi @Palerider, definitely better not to be around in my opinion - I let the agents do all the viewings. I hope you can sell quickly for a price that works for you - ideally no chain would be best!!

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
The current government covid guidance on house sales still states "we recommend that you vacate your property whilst viewings are taking place in order to minimise your contact with those not in your household" so wise to stay away. Hope you get an offer soon @Palerider My mum's house sounds like it is in a similar condition to your mum's - it needed a new bathroom, kitchen and updating but there is lots of potential for extending and it has a lovely garden. We received some silly offers from developers but held out and then received a full asking price offer from a young couple who absolutely love the house. The covid situation put things on hold but I'm currently in the final stages of emptying the house & garage - hope you sale goes smoothly.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Thanks everyone

I hope it does go to a young family or young couple that would be mums choice and if that happened it would mean closing this chapter with a good outcome @Louise7 :)

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Busy weekend with four days on at work -I'm sure whoever writes my rota is trying to kill me with over working!?

Anyway, 6 viewings so far and one cheeky offer which I have declined with no remorse. Things are heating up so waiting to see if someone just gets to the point and offers the asking price.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
More viewings today so have been out and avoiding the house till now. It almost doesn't feel like home anymore.

I took mum a present as I still can't visit -some new trousers (baggy fit), two new cotton pullovers and a fresh supply of new underwear (she has always had a thing for clean new underwear). I caught her nurse while she was on her break and she updated me in detail on how mum is -for which I am grateful. I hope the present gives some pleasure for a while, I know she'll be pleased even though it may last for minutes.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Glad you got an update from your Mum’s nurse and I truely hope you can visit your Mum in some kind of meaningful way soon.
I guess if home no longer feels like home that is good in someways and will make it easier to move out when the time comes. How is your accommodation search going?

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Well after a week of the house been on the market I have today accepted an offer close to the asking price. I was a bit shocked that things are almost done and dusted so soon and had to take ten minutes out as I was at work at the time, but its the right decision and the buyer has the funds to proceed. This moment always seemed so far away especially when I was caring for mum at home and now it has arrived finally. So thats it, the end of another chapter. I don't know what to think for now, but had best start looking for somewhere to live.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Even though you knew it was going to happen I am not surprised to hear you are shocked that it has happened so quickly.
All I can say is I hope finding somewhere else suitable for you to live can be as quick

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
I bet that was a shock and so quick. It shows you must have done a good job getting it ready for sale to get a close to asking price offer so quickly, you have done your mum proud getting things sorted so well on her behalf. I hope the sale proceeds easily and you can find yourself somewhere to live without hassle as you've had enough of that before and moving out is bound to be emotional. ?

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
It's good news in some way as I fear that the housing market will suffer with all the redundancies happening - you got your house on the market at the right time.

Now you have to put your own needs first and sort out where you are going to live. Have you any thoughts about what you plan to do?

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
Well after a week of the house been on the market I have today accepted an offer close to the asking price
That's good news @Palerider - if there is no chain you could complete in six weeks. It is a strange situation for you as you are still living there, but it is a big step in moving forward. Its been a massive job just sorting through everything and all of Mum's possessions - but that is done. Just the small step of finding somewhere!

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
Hi @Palerider
Good news about finding a buyer. Hope all the paperwork goes through smoothly.
I can understand you feeling shocked and that it is closing one chapter of your life.
Wishing you well in the search for your future property.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson