A lifelong friend and me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
You really have done so well...

Thanks -its been a long two weeks and have to return to work at the weekend.

I have also been trying to visit mum but the CH won't lift the visiting restrictions which I am finding hard, so the house has occupied me for a little while

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Hi @Palerider, you are on the home stretch - taken some effort for sure. I'm sure that walk back was evocative, it is incredible the strength and resolve of the human condition, your poor old Mum being able to do that is astonishing - I remember talking to the Police about my Mum's 'walk-about' to 'get home' when she was on a walking frame, I just couldn't comprehend how physically she had done it (I still can't really), the Police Officer said it wasn't unusual to witness these levels of endurance.

Look after yourself - none of this is easy physically or emotionally. All the best.

I keep on thinking of how far she walked that day and what must of been on her mind -trying to get home which of course is no longer there. She certainly gave it a good go, but mum was always a determined lady when she put her mind to something. I'm glad I didn't encourage her to get and electric bike (one of her ideas in the last year) -she was a keen cyclist in her hey day and god only knows where she would have ended up. Its tremendously sad but I can also see the comical side as well -sometimes I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I think about it

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
With reference to kitchen cupboards, do you remember a couple of months ago when people were stripping the shelves in the shops? Of course you do. Well I thought I would look through my cupboards to see what I had - while they were all hoarding food I was throwing out tins and packets that were well out of date! :rolleyes:?

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
With reference to kitchen cupboards, do you remember a couple of months ago when people were stripping the shelves in the shops? Of course you do. Well I thought I would look through my cupboards to see what I had - while they were all hoarding food I was throwing out tins and packets that were well out of date! :rolleyes:?

You know I was doing a similar thing -the main pantry was full of out of date stuff!

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Well busy day here. The gardeners didn't turn up on Saturday and are here now doing front and back -so far so good.

I emptied the cupboard below the kitchen sink which was packed with stuff only to reveal the tap has leaked and caused a lot of water damage. I can't leave it like that so a plumber has been employed and on his way to replace it. I'll have to dry it out as best I can afterwards -NO DIY at this stage.

Manage to get a deal on all the elctric hand tools so they have gone and I have been paid, not as much as I could have got, but I don't have time to sell on ebay etc. It will pay for ther unexpected cost of a new kitchen tap.

And finally the gas man is coming to service the boiler later today -so it will be a mini BBQ and beer tonight because by then I will be done in

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Oh my word. I cant believe how much you have done in such a short time. Im exhausted just reading it all!!

Enjoy your BBQ and beer
:cool:

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
All done the whole lot so I can slow down and have my last two days off to myself -well almost. Just the cleaners now next Tuesday and job done, on the market it goes.

The garden looks fab now, it really needed tidying up and with the shed gone it has reminded me how big the garden is as an open space.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Thanks everyone

Today I am sat twiddling my thumbs wondering what to do. There are still a few odds and ends to tidy in the rooms and stuff to take to storage. I took down the kitchen curtains and washed them, but the plastic gliders are so old they have broke and trying to find some new ones isn't looking good, so in a vein hope someone knows where I can get them from I would be grateful -here's a pic:
20200625_101026.jpg

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
My go to place for these sort of things is eBay if you haven't tried already. It does take a bit of time to look through photos to work it out.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Could you just leave it and not put the curtains back up? The chances are the buyers will change them anyway.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Thanks both of you

I agree I could just leave the kitchen without curtains @Lynmax -it looks so much better and blinds would be perfect, but problem is that one window faces east and the other west to the kitchen catches the strong sunlight most of the day apart from midday when the sun hits the gable end of the house. Not only is it like being in a furnace but the sun is so strong when it beams through I can't use my work station.

Anyway I have ventured out to B&Q and found some gliders that might do the job to re-hang the curtains ? plus I just happened to pick up some sugar soap and sponges -the doors and walls need a clean, and then I got carried away and bought a new pedal bin as well -mum was very shrewd and never spent money on a quality kitchen bin ? and then I thought I need something to put all the cleaning stuff in so I bought a tidy box for that as well -I can't stand having chaos in cupboards with loads of stuff randomly scattered everywhere, mum was the same until -well you know the rest.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I second that - I hoped you enjoyed the BBQ and beer. You have done amazingly well and achieved so much when emotionally it must have been so hard. Good that you have a few days before you go back to work. Try and avoid cleaning/washing etc tomorrow.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Well last night I had my mini BBQ and decided to take down the kitchen curtain rail to clean it. Next to the window is a brass barometer and clock dad had fixed to the wall. I got on the chair and as I pushed up whacked my head on it -the air was blue for a short while. There was blood and pain but I stopped the bleeding after several minutes to reveal a 1 1/2 inch gash on my right forehead. That'll teach me as I did think about removing it first.

I actually overslept today and missed the door for collection of old mobile phones, so now will have to chase that.

I have rubbish for the tip and need to pop to mums care home to take her drinks and ice lollies

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
And there was me thinking that you could have a rest ;)

Sorry about your head. Im assuming it didnt need stitches. Do you have steristrips? (I bet you do!)

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
And there was me thinking that you could have a rest ;)

Sorry about your head. Im assuming it didnt need stitches. Do you have steristrips? (I bet you do!)

Lol I am a perfectionist and won't stop completely until the house is spotless -its almost there, plus work tomorrow so I will take it easy today anyway.

Yes I have a painful head, but managed to sleep. Yes I have steri strips but have managed to push it together without and it seems to have settled overnight -it did make me feel a tad unwell for a moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.