A lifelong friend and me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Don't do what I did today! Woke up at 7.30 am, too early to get up with nothing to do so stayed in bed. Next thing, phone went, my son calling just for a chat, he lives over 100 miles away so I've not seen him since Christmas, I looked at the clock, 10.10am, perfect . Chatted for ages, decided to make a coffee then get dressed. Looked at clock. 12.30pm! I had misread the time, slept until almost 12 and missed a Zoom call with a church group - I was the host and scheduled the meeting so it did not take place and when they phoned me, my phone was engaged!

I was so embarrassed when the doorbell went and it was a friend worried about me because I had not opened the meeting - they thought I might be ill or worse!

I'll now be setting an alarm and checking my diary more often! Better to be double booked than forget something altogether!

My son was very sweet though and asked if he could have a couple of things from my Mums house when we clear it as he wants something to remember her.. I did point out that she was not dead, just moved to a Care Home but I was still touched.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
After he went into residential care last March I had to clear the furniture and clothing out from The Banjoman’s rented flat, his brother sorted everything else and put it all in storage. I kept some clothes as I was slowly putting labels on and working out what he would need. 3months, 3 years? Who knew how long he would be in there?
After he died in October his brother emptied the storage facility, took all the books to charity shops, took some things back to France and left me with several boxes of “stuff”. I couldn’t face doing much with it all for several months and it is still cluttering my house as I have been in self isolation and all the charity shops have been closed. When they open up again I am sure they will be inundated with donations where everyone has spent their lockdown time clearing out!
It is a horrid job because you are disposing of someone’s life, things that meant a great deal to them even if you don’t share their memories.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Don't do what I did today! Woke up at 7.30 am, too early to get up with nothing to do so stayed in bed. Next thing, phone went, my son calling just for a chat, he lives over 100 miles away so I've not seen him since Christmas, I looked at the clock, 10.10am, perfect . Chatted for ages, decided to make a coffee then get dressed. Looked at clock. 12.30pm! I had misread the time, slept until almost 12 and missed a Zoom call with a church group - I was the host and scheduled the meeting so it did not take place and when they phoned me, my phone was engaged!

I was so embarrassed when the doorbell went and it was a friend worried about me because I had not opened the meeting - they thought I might be ill or worse!

I'll now be setting an alarm and checking my diary more often! Better to be double booked than forget something altogether!

My son was very sweet though and asked if he could have a couple of things from my Mums house when we clear it as he wants something to remember her.. I did point out that she was not dead, just moved to a Care Home but I was still touched.

Its funny how our minds can play tricks on us, it wouldn't be the first time I've misread the clock. I think its because when we wake we expect it to be the time we are supposed to be awake??

Yes I will have to divide mums stuff eventually, but I'm making sure it isn't done by only one person - not the brother who still has not yet appeared .....hmmm?

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
After he went into residential care last March I had to clear the furniture and clothing out from The Banjoman’s rented flat, his brother sorted everything else and put it all in storage. I kept some clothes as I was slowly putting labels on and working out what he would need. 3months, 3 years? Who knew how long he would be in there?
After he died in October his brother emptied the storage facility, took all the books to charity shops, took some things back to France and left me with several boxes of “stuff”. I couldn’t face doing much with it all for several months and it is still cluttering my house as I have been in self isolation and all the charity shops have been closed. When they open up again I am sure they will be inundated with donations where everyone has spent their lockdown time clearing out!
It is a horrid job because you are disposing of someone’s life, things that meant a great deal to them even if you don’t share their memories.

Yes it is a horrid job, mum kept things because they meant something even though I might not understand that meaning. And as always objects that are keepsakes are simple things ..a card, a photo, a picture, documents, jewelry and other objects -none of which have monetary value, but have heeps of sentimental value. Mum had even kept grandads discharge papers from the RAF after the war -I was astonished when I found them

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
As I seemed to have overbooked myself today, I am waiting now for knocks at the door. I have enough supplies of milk and coffee to last the morning.

The srcap man is on his way to take the car from the back, and I am hoping its not too difficult as the wheels will have ceased due to the brakes.

Yesterday I got mums shed cleared, it cost £100 but cheaper than many other companies and the guys that came were respectful and asked if they found anything they thought I might keep. It was all mostly mums floral art stuff she had acquired, she was a big exhibitor in shows and also demonstrated. I couldn't bring myself to do it, so was happy to pay someone else. The stuff will be sold on at a car boot sale I am told -at least someone will make use of it.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Enjoy your morning! I hope everyone turns up as expected.

Our biggest expenses will be emptying and removing the aspesto garage!

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Thanks peeps

So far so good, the car has gone, was sad seeing it go as it was mum and dads freedom and they toured south spain with the caravan over the winter every year in retirement -so a sad fairwell to the x-trail. I watched until it dissapeared behind the neighbours hedge :rolleyes:. The money off it will pay for the cleaners next week.

I had to pop into the estate agents so they could inpsect and copy the LPA and take some ID, they were very pleasant. I noticed the local coffee shop was open for take out -I couldn't resist! And bought two pies for lunch.

I got sleepy and snoozed as again I was awake in the night, and now for the final push on finishing upstairs. The lounge is almost done so just the kitchen, which in all honesty is my command centre and also a complete mess currently

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
You are doing very well , sounds like it is going smoothly so far ? . The pies and the snooze sound just the ticket .

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I have woke repeatedly since just before 4am and have now got up as I couldn't stand it any longer. On the way downstairs I took more filled rubbish bags from the small bedroom and remembered why they were so heavy -filled with countless research papers not needed now the MSc is complete and which had gathered copious amounts of dust sitting idle.

I keep on looking at mums room as I pass and no I can't seem to get used to it being empty, and worse now that it is empty I have an urge to clean every corner as mum would so that it was "done properly" :rolleyes:

The estate agent chap is coming to measure up today which will help map out the floor plan -I've never understood why this is necessary, but it seems to add value to the selling of the property and there has been talk of making a video as well -I guess we all get our 5mins of fame!

I am also depserate for a haircut as its beginnng to irritate me and have bought some clippers I can do a self cut with -I am reluctant to use them, but may have to before I go insane with hair tickling my ears, the back of neck and just generally being a nuisance.

Its a misty morning here in Cheshire and silent

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
(((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))) Simon. Your mind is still in overdrive with everything you have been doing recently. Your adrenaline levels must be in overdrive! Please be careful that you dont suddenly collapse,

PS try shutting your mums bedroom door so you dont have to see it.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
(((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))) Simon. Your mind is still in overdrive with everything you have been doing recently. Your adrenaline levels must be in overdrive! Please be careful that you dont suddenly collapse,

PS try shutting your mums bedroom door so you dont have to see it.

I am an adrenaline junky @canary, a termed coined by a colleague when I throw everything at managing a sick patient. I have a range of gears and tend to slip from 1st to 10th in a flash. I think my flight-fight response is over wired and explains the anxiety I feel at times -which can be overwhelming. I am better though since I had my rhythm problem last year and got cardioverted, I know when I need to take my beta blockers ;)

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Well I started the day very early and got some things done. The estate agent came and measured up and I pottered moving piles of rubbish from one spot to another and then back again. Just after lunch my sleep deprivation took over and I flopped on my bed and nodded off -I was so tired.

I have however managed to get a qoute to get the back garden cleared and dads old shed removed as its a mess now, but I have to clear the electric hand tools and manual tools which do need to be kept so more runs to the storage unit. Upstairs is a work in progress but it is near to completion, just my room to do and there isn't that much. I did spot the christmas tree that mum managed to do one last time two years ago -I haven't decided if I will keep it or the decorations yet, it seems pointless now

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Oh yes -I am awake again, woke 20 mins ago! This time I remember some of the dreams that woke me and it was about the house -so I think my brain is in tenth gear until I get this done!

I opened the small store cupboard at the top of the stairs and could have cried at the amount of junk shoved in there -so I am getting the house clearnace guys back that did mums shed -it is literally junk -old cushions, material, quilts and other assorted non-useful items.

The window cleaner is coming today and will also clean the front door -thank god, it's a nice colour and the chrome letterbox and numbers could do with a quick polish. I'm waiting for my large laundry bags to be delivered that are useful for packing clothes to keep when moving, they should arrive today. When I find somewhere to rent it will be a quick move when the house sells and its good to have something easy that isn't a black bin bag (which always rips).

Oh well coffee and onwards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suehart