A lifelong friend and me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I hope you don’t mind me asking. The people collecting the furniture - is it only wardrobes etc or sofa and beds too. Mum’s sofa and chairs are in are good condition but no fire labels so we did not know if anyone would take them.

Its any furniture and they redirect it to recycle rather than take it to a landfill site

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Just sold mums car which has been sat at the back of the house over 4 years -managed to get £200 as scrap. Didn't think I'd get any interest but it is a Nissan X-Trail Sport X. Hasn't ran since it conked out.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Right have managed to find a clothes collection service and have the option of choosing which charity to donate to -of course without a doubt the Alzheimer's Society !?

Edited: they are coming next Friday and I am glad as there are 6 bags of clothes including unused handbags and shoes:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I think the compulsion to buy clothes must be another symptom of dementia!

Mum must have spent the last couple of years (pre-crisis) buying things. Her wardrobes were stuffed full of clothes, mostly still new and tagged, with many duplicated items. (There were 5 identical purple fleece jackets!) One floor to ceiling wardrobe was filled entirely with shoes and handbags, mostly new and unused. There were 3 carrier bags just full of slippers. Mind you, to keep our spirits up when going through it all, she'd also hidden bags of pound coins and 50p pieces everywhere - loadsa money!

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I think the compulsion to buy clothes must be another symptom of dementia!

Mum must have spent the last couple of years (pre-crisis) buying things. Her wardrobes were stuffed full of clothes, mostly still new and tagged, with many duplicated items. (There were 5 identical purple fleece jackets!) One floor to ceiling wardrobe was filled entirely with shoes and handbags, mostly new and unused. There were 3 carrier bags just full of slippers. Mind you, to keep our spirits up when going through it all, she'd also hidden bags of pound coins and 50p pieces everywhere - loadsa money!

Mum seems to have left a large amount of old money -specifically silver shillings, crowns and some sovereigns oh and the old threpeny bit, which I just remember paying at school with as a very small child -I remember it because it wasn't round :rolleyes: -and then it all changed (erm pun wasn't intended).

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
Hi @Palerider, good to hear you are making really good progress. I'm sure you Mum would be pleased to know that others will benefit from what she know longer needs.

I found a lot of old money too - memories eh, the tuck shop I assume?

I hope you can put your feet up later and enjoy a few beers.

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Oh bless you x that might be a good idea, doing something different for a while. You’ve been working really hard at something hard to do. A change of scene may help x

DianeW

Sep 10, 2013
Lytham St Annes
You’re doing amazing, you seem to be so organised and it’s really paying off.

I know that you have been waiting to make a start with everything going on, but wow you have certainly made up for it this last few weeks.

I really do hope everything falls into place for you, and you find a nice place to live.

I know you said earlier that you had registered for social housing and wasn’t having much luck (I work in social housing and have for 18 years).

The problem is over the last 3 years things have changed greatly and demand has gone through the roof, I can tell you that you would have found it much easier then to find a nice little flat.....now it’s going to be very tough because I guess from what you’ve posted you will not have a priority for a higher banding....meaning very little chance of an offer coming your way.

I know private rental can be unsecure, but they are out there and I think you would be a really good tenant if you found a nice reasonably priced long term rental, or even consider shared ownership but I don’t know very much about that.

Anyway enough waffle from me, keep up the good work....your doing great, I understand how hard it is clearing a property.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Thanks @Pete1 @annielou and @DianeW and everyone

I'm drained to be honest. Mums room looks so odd being empty, it certainly makes it more real that mum isn't coming home now and sad at how this has all turned out over the last 8 months which has seen change at a fast rate. I do need to carry on into the rest of the house, but I am done for now and want to sit and just be peaceful for a while. I feel a little lost right now, and besides the lounge is almost done. I might take some stuff to the storage place later tonight as way of escaping for a little while.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I'm being a bit of a coward and leaving the clearance of mums house ready for rental to my brother and sister! I'm using the lockdown as my excuse as I am trying to self isolate due to health issues ( not in a vulnerable group but am wary about being able to cope living along with the virus when my arthritis affects my mobility badly) but really I cannot face doing it as I don't like to think that mum will never go back home.

Mind you, as they both still work from home, I'm dealing with all the paperwork and phone calls from social workers etc which takes up a lot of my time! The Covid 19 fund has been a blessing but it's involving extra assessments and report writing! My mum reacts badly to social workers face timing her and apparently her language today offended one SW who tried to point out that she was not living at home as mum thought but was in a care home! Guess no one told her not to contradict a pwd! But at least that convinced her that mum no longer has capacity!

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I'm being a bit of a coward and leaving the clearance of mums house ready for rental to my brother and sister! I'm using the lockdown as my excuse as I am trying to self isolate due to health issues ( not in a vulnerable group but am wary about being able to cope living along with the virus when my arthritis affects my mobility badly) but really I cannot face doing it as I don't like to think that mum will never go back home.

Mind you, as they both still work from home, I'm dealing with all the paperwork and phone calls from social workers etc which takes up a lot of my time! The Covid 19 fund has been a blessing but it's involving extra assessments and report writing! My mum reacts badly to social workers face timing her and apparently her language today offended one SW who tried to point out that she was not living at home as mum thought but was in a care home! Guess no one told her not to contradict a pwd! But at least that convinced her that mum no longer has capacity!

Hmm its feels very wrong clearing stuff knowing mum is still here, but it has to to be done eventually I guess.

Mum comes out with some corkers, especially when the carers (team of three) are showering her -the air is blue for a while and when it s all over she reverts back to saying how wonderful they all are -lucky they are not offended by it:rolleyes:

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Well I woke suddenly so here I am again, wide awake drinking my dose of coffee. I was thinking how distant mum is becoming the further I move forwards in all of this, I think the no visiting policy is adding to that feeling at the moment and wish the CH would hurry up and come to a new decision on visiting. But I think even with visiting, clearing the house is a marker, a turning point in things and there is no going back, something perhaps I have not been able to come to terms with till now

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
“No going back”. I know what you mean. We are awaiting a skip to clear out my late husbands sheds. My children are doing it (socially distanced as appropriate). I am a wreck. Do them it’s junk and old stuff..me... I remember when it was bought ....that old saw that cost a weeks wage that we couldn’t afford but did and made his life so much easier. All the fishing stuff....a lot of it now worthless, rusted and broken but it was our lives together. It’s taken two years to get to this stage so I admire you for what you are doing and you have one person cheering you on!!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hmm its feels very wrong clearing stuff knowing mum is still here, but it has to to be done eventually I guess.

Mum comes out with some corkers, especially when the carers (team of three) are showering her -the air is blue for a while and when it s all over she reverts back to saying how wonderful they all are -lucky they are not offended by it:rolleyes:

I remember looking over my shoulder when I cleared my mother's house. All the things she treasured being sorted into ` keep, charity, bin`. What a difficult task!

My husband was the same when receiving personal care. I think he just wanted to be left in peace.

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
But I think even with visiting, clearing the house is a marker, a turning point in things and there is no going back, something perhaps I have not been able to come to terms with till now
Hi @Palerider, I totally get that. It certainly affects you more that you would or could ever anticipate - it is very emotionally draining for some many reasons, and the finality of it is one of those. You are over the most difficult part now, that is the way I looked at it. All the best.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Thanks everyone

Yes @Grannie G - I think mum is the same in just wanting some peace

Yes it does have an affect certainly, but its done now and saved for a later time when I can relax and sort through stuff and dwell a little while. So today all mums stuff that has been kept from her room has been taken to the storage place. Its quite spooky in those places eerily quite and dark until the automatic lights come on.

Spoke with the CH, still not allowing visitors :(. Mum is on the palliative care pathway and today has slept having had a restless night, so it turns out visiting would not have been of benefit anyway for today. She's still taking the limonata and her nurse has given mum some of her cherry water which mum seems to like as well. I'll be taking in more limonata and ice lollies tomorrow on my round trip as well as taking more items into storage.

I am having the evening off as its Saturday and mini BBQ time -if it doesn't rain

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Just checking my executive house clearance diary -which of course is accurate and up to date with appointments......

Erm -I think I've over booked myself for tomorrow

1592123920054.png

Status
Not open for further replies.