A lifelong friend and me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Roll urgent things in a towel and tread the water out, when drying indoors open a window a little to prevent condensation.
Clothes can get by with an airing and spot clean too. There was a time without washing machines, ah, I remember it well!

I remember mums twin washer/spinner in the 70's -she thought it was fab. Yes cltothes weren't washed as much as they are now.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
My tumble dryer has broken and I too am desperately trying to dry wet washing indoors.
The carer who came today was very bemused to see that in place of the curtains I had clipped some trouser/skirt hangers (the sort with a peg at each end of the hanger) onto a sheet and had hung them on the curtain rail!!
Thats one think I can't bare - wet washing hanging round the house, plus there never seems to be enough room to dry it all. Mum was amazing at this skill, I have to say I am not so inclined

Hoping the dryer is back in action soon

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
If you put all your washing on hangers and then “hang” them in doorways, max of 4 per doorway to allow enough air to circulate, it will dry overnight.

Sheets or towels can be hung over the top of doors, but you need the swop them over (top to tail), as the part hanging down the edge of the door tends not to dry evenly.

Trick from my broke student days @canary

See I couldn't cope with all that washing in the way ?

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I’d hang them in the way off to bed, then clear them off in the morning

If you can’t bear washing hanging around ( :) ) .. you could try a service wash at the launderette

I am tempted sometimes to just dump everything at the laundrette -however the new dryer is superb (tested last night) -ah karma is restored?

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
I know it means I need to start getting my act together and that although I love mum very much I have to start getting back on form with everything else in life in particular my job. I have to get my head round this emotional difficulty I'm having somehow.....?

Hi @Palerider, easier said than done isn't it? I know I still feel like that. Take your time and don't be too hard on yourself.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I seem to now have an addiction to the tumble dryer :rolleyes:

Visited the CH and spoke with the nurse, they are having problems getting mums new GP to review her donepezil and have sent 7 faxes with no response. The CPN can't access mums file because her old memory clinic haven't forwarded the information and this has been going on for two weeks.

So on Monday I will be introducing myself to mums new GP and calling mums old memory clinic to have a few polite words -or should I say that will be dependant on the response I get.....this is what happens because the system is so fragmented and not joined up -and it really annoys me.....considerably

Last edited:

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Hi @Palerider, easier said than done isn't it? I know I still feel like that. Take your time and don't be too hard on yourself.

Yes I'm struggling -constantly pausing and looking back and feeling bad if I don't check on mum or if I take a day off to get other things done. But I guess this is what binds us, our relationships and our feeling of belonging in the world. Its hard, very hard and dealing with it isn't going to be easy. How can we just 'let go'....?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Its still early days, so its not surprising that you are still tightly holding the reins. As you get to trust the care home you will find that you can lighten the grip. You never let go completely though, because you will still be your mums advocate.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Its still early days, so its not surprising that you are still tightly holding the reins. As you get to trust the care home you will find that you can lighten the grip. You never let go completely though, because you will still be your mums advocate.

I'm not sure if letting go is the right choice of words, but being such good friends and my also my mum the emtoinal ties are hard to ignore at times -I can't really explain very well what I feel sometimes

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
That’s kinda beautiful
First time walking into a clients house I was bricking it ... I so related to her first day
Handing over to carers was hard enough for me @Palerider .. I’d guess that as you get to trust them, you will feel you can take a half step back

Made me realise how people can find it all overwheling when first exposed to the reality of dementia -we forget what it be like for someone who hasn't experienced it before.

The poem was brilliant I think. She went on to talk about broken heart syndrome - I have ever only seen this once in my own career, its amazing that such a illness can exist.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I have a plan for today (which does not include the tumble dryer -need to break the addiction)
  1. Tidy and clean kitchen
  2. Coffee
  3. Iron work shirts (erm maybe not)
  4. Coffee
  5. Reading (work stuff)
  6. Coffee
  7. Visit mum and take her out for cake (dependent on whether her shoes are missing) -more coffee
  8. Return home and start the task of sorting and decluttering -small bedroom first
  9. Chill as work tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.