A lifelong friend and me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I love baking and often makes cakes, I have one slice "to test it" then give the rest away. I made a banana and walnut cake today to use up some manky bananas so half went in freezer for my Bookckub meeting next week and mum is getting a couple of slices tomorrow. My cakes tend to be wholesome and hearty, not fancy or decorated! I made a cake using sweet potato at weekend which went down very well at a craft workshop I went to!

Mum used to bake a lot as well but sadly cannot manage it anymore so it's nice to repay her years of tasty cakes by making some for her. I'm in the WI as well so my cakes are always welcome there.

So, Simon, if you invite me for dinner, I'll bring the cakes!

Anne

Your invited, but it will have to be a pudding you bring, which one?

Xeenies

May 19, 2014
Today I cooked beef (topside) in red wine with roasted parsnip, carrot, turnip and pots with cabbage and leeks (sauteed in butter). It was such a nice day I let mum have a glass of frizzante (an italian wine dad used to bring home in the 1970's). Mum sipped on the wine and before I had noticed she'd swigged two or three glasses...and then came the aftermath.

She refused to sit and eat her dinner and became quite angry, saying she had already eaten, an argument ensued because whatever I said she would say the opposite until I gave up. I slammed the middle back door so hard the perspex (not glass) fell out and then realised the futility of the situation.

In the end mum wanted to go for a drive, so we went out and drove around and then I stopped at McDonalds and bought her a cheeseburger and fries and a coffee, I had a coffee and we sat while mum ate her tea in the car quite peacefully, and then came home.

I really thought glass of wine would be ok, but it didn't dawn on me to hide the rest of it. The morale of the tale: don't let your loved one with advancing Alzheimer's swig too much vino blanco. All is ok now :)
Interesting story! Well done for the dinner, we always take dad out as I’m a hopeless cook and dad likes it too I hope...I always feel guilty for when I’ve shouted at my dad but sometimes I can’t help it..hope all works out ok .

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Today mum is quite difficult in her mood. After saying she wants to go to the hairdressers, she is now refusing to go. I will leave it, book it again and just take her without mention. I'll use this time to change her bed, and think about buying a tumble dryer -the rain is none stop.

Its going to be a difficult day I feel it in my bones. Mum has that stoic expression on her face with the occasional frown....mmmm.....tread carefully. Her pacing and restlesness is steadily increasing, along with the whispering, uttering things she thinks I can't hear. She still sleeps well, amazingly this hasn't changed yet. Clearly there are signs that the Alzheimer's is again getting a firmer hold. All very sad and upsetting. Just as you accpet and deal with a phase or change, another one comes along and then I have to start over again. Waves in the sea beating the rocks until they gradually erode.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Ive had roast kid, which is extremely nice - very sweet and not at all "goaty", but I suspect the goat in the taverna was very old and tough
Just as you accpet and deal with a phase or change, another one comes along and then I have to start over again.
Just so........

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
Good morning @Palerider - I had such a hectic day yesterday fitting in a visit with Mum amongst a whole host of other things, that I ate very little. Despite having my breakfast I am still ravenous and catching up on your thread has not helped .... my mouth is watering at all the suggestions and the lovely food photos ...... mmmm the prawns and the lobster for me!

I am a self-confessed foodie and have quite a reputation for my cooking abilities ...... my Great gran was a cook in domestic service so perhaps there is a bit of genetics in there??

I cooked a Tomahawk beef steak on Sunday - have you tried this cut? Quite pricey but a good solution to get beef on the bone, without having to buy a humungous rib joint. Absolutely fantastic and the third one that I have cooked. Husband was ecstatic - he likes his meat and had 2 very generous helpings. I find meat a bit indigestible so only had a small to average portion and there was plenty for 'him indoors' to have 2 rounds of sandwiches for lunch yesterday while I was running around like a thing possessed! It works well for just the 2 of us, and as we prefer our meat rare, I like it to be used up quickly without too much waste.

Must stop as I could prattle on about recipes and food for ever ......

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Just catching up on this - all those food pics look lovely.

I don't often manage a roast as it takes time to fit in (not a lot of work as we don't overdo veg) and then there is an awful lot of washing up.

Last one I did was roast duck, had picked it up half price as couldn't leave it on the shelf when it was only £4.30. Thought I had overdone roasties but nothing left, 14 year old was hungry that day. I hadn't planned to washup but somehow managed it, as we were out of the house at 6.30am the next day to drive to Bala for a (in my case) very long bike ride - rest of family finished hours ahead of me.

WE had BBQ'd mackerel on Sunday just gone - tasted much nicer then when we grilled them the week before, we decided had been easier to cook them evenly (OH and son went on a charter boat fishing trip and returned with over 60 mackerel so have a few in freezer)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
When my son was 10 his grandmother took him on holiday where he had and liked Duck.

I had never eaten Duck before so promised it for the New Year. I bought the duck, prepared it and left it in the fridge overnight.

That night I had nightmares. Whenever I opened the fridge, the duck was waddling around saying "Quack Quack Let me out"

The next day I had the migraine of all migraines. I had to stay in bed all New Years Day and my husband cooked the duck and he and our son finished it.

I told them in no uncertain terms, no leftovers were to be in the fridge when I recovered.

Since then I have never bought or cooked a whole animal or bird.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Today mum is quite difficult in her mood. After saying she wants to go to the hairdressers, she is now refusing to go. I will leave it, book it again and just take her without mention. I'll use this time to change her bed, and think about buying a tumble dryer -the rain is none stop.

Its going to be a difficult day I feel it in my bones. Mum has that stoic expression on her face with the occasional frown....mmmm.....tread carefully. Her pacing and restlesness is steadily increasing, along with the whispering, uttering things she thinks I can't hear. She still sleeps well, amazingly this hasn't changed yet. Clearly there are signs that the Alzheimer's is again getting a firmer hold. All very sad and upsetting. Just as you accpet and deal with a phase or change, another one comes along and then I have to start over again. Waves in the sea beating the rocks until they gradually erode.
I’m sorry I’m smiling but - the muttering it’s like having an aged Gollum!

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Good morning @Palerider - I had such a hectic day yesterday fitting in a visit with Mum amongst a whole host of other things, that I ate very little. Despite having my breakfast I am still ravenous and catching up on your thread has not helped .... my mouth is watering at all the suggestions and the lovely food photos ...... mmmm the prawns and the lobster for me!

I am a self-confessed foodie and have quite a reputation for my cooking abilities ...... my Great gran was a cook in domestic service so perhaps there is a bit of genetics in there??

I cooked a Tomahawk beef steak on Sunday - have you tried this cut? Quite pricey but a good solution to get beef on the bone, without having to buy a humungous rib joint. Absolutely fantastic and the third one that I have cooked. Husband was ecstatic - he likes his meat and had 2 very generous helpings. I find meat a bit indigestible so only had a small to average portion and there was plenty for 'him indoors' to have 2 rounds of sandwiches for lunch yesterday while I was running around like a thing possessed! It works well for just the 2 of us, and as we prefer our meat rare, I like it to be used up quickly without too much waste.

Must stop as I could prattle on about recipes and food for ever ......
Oh Lidl had that on offer the other week - it was delish!

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Its good to see there are so many gastronomers on here and thank you all for sharing so much on food @Jaded'n'faded @DesperateofDevon @Toony Oony @jugglingmum @canary @Lynmax @Sarasa and @Grannie G with the duck (I can appreciate the story).

I never thought for one moment my revelation on food would open up so much chat on an Alzheimer's forum.

I was particuarly surprised by @canary and her experience of roast kid and @Toony Oony on Tomahawk beef. @jugglingmum with the mackrel bbq and all of you who have your own gastronomic delights @DesperateofDevon and @Lynmax . It seems many of us do make an effort to at least eat and enjoy one of the few pleasures we still have.

I have decided recently that this year and the first time in many years I will not be cooking Christmas dinner if we are still here by then. Mum has got to the point where she is constantly around me now when I cook, it reminds her of her father in the kitchen who she also used to constantly follow as he cooked. As much as I love the fact it enables mum to participate it does get very wearing, and on Christmas day there is only me to cook dinner wash up and then start again for supper. So I am booking a 4 star hotel dinner just five mins up the road from us -very posh. We will come home and then spend the rest of the day doing what we both like -watching TV/films and have supper, a finger buffet.

Just one thing as a gastromoner, one year I was horrified when I worked nine nights in a row and forgot the days (when I worked in London). I woke up on my first day off feeling quite peckish and realised I needed to shop. Got in the car arrived at the local Sainsbury's and it was closed -I couldn't fathom why -doh. Went home and realised is was Christmas day. All I had was a box of Thorntons chocs and a bottle of Chablis.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Its good to see there are so many gastronomers on here and thank you all for sharing so much on food @Jaded'n'faded @DesperateofDevon @Toony Oony @jugglingmum @canary @Lynmax @Sarasa and @Grannie G with the duck (I can appreciate the story).

I never thought for one moment my revelation on food would open up so much chat on an Alzheimer's forum.

I was particuarly surprised by @canary and her experience of roast kid and @Toony Oony on Tomahawk beef. @jugglingmum with the mackrel bbq and all of you who have your own gastronomic delights @DesperateofDevon and @Lynmax . It seems many of us do make an effort to at least eat and enjoy one of the few pleasures we still have.

I have decided recently that this year and the first time in many years I will not be cooking Christmas dinner if we are still here by then. Mum has got to the point where she is constantly around me now when I cook, it reminds her of her father in the kitchen who she also used to constantly follow as he cooked. As much as I love the fact it enables mum to participate it does get very wearing, and on Christmas day there is only me to cook dinner wash up and then start again for supper. So I am booking a 4 star hotel dinner just five mins up the road from us -very posh. We will come home and then spend the rest of the day doing what we both like -watching TV/films and have supper, a finger buffet.

Just one thing as a gastromoner, one year I was horrified when I worked nine nights in a row and forgot the days (when I worked in London). I woke up on my first day off feeling quite peckish and realised I needed to shop. Got in the car arrived at the local Sainsbury's and it was closed -I couldn't fathom why -doh. Went home and realised is was Christmas day. All I had was a box of Thorntons chocs and a bottle of Chablis.
Oh how lovely, make your life easy & pick up some M&S ( other brands available) lovely snacks. Also if you have an Aldi or Lidl near you the deluxe ranges are all premium brands! ( other discount stores also available!!!)

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
When I was living in Abu Dhabi @Palerider - I was well accustomed to all things Christmassy being celebrated widely, despite being an Islamic country. What really amazed me was that several of the luxury hotels offered a 'Christmas Dinner Delivery Service' - so you could order a Turkey dinner with all the trimmings (plus crackers etc if required) to be delivered to your villa or apartment! We always came home for Christmas - but I thought it was a great idea for those who wanted a stress free meal.
Christmas when living in SE Asia - (as you can see I have been around a bit) - was an experience ....... but that's another story!!

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
My mum was never a great cook . My best friend once said I'm having a Christmas a la your mother, everything from Marks and Spencer. It was pretty much true. A couple of years ago we all went to my brother's for Christmas and he got everything in from Cook, the frozen food company. Mum didn't get it at all even though we explained several times, and wondered why we laughed when she kept on going on about 'compliments to the cook.'
This year with my brother so poorly and mum in a Care Home I'm hoping that I might actually spend the day in my own home. I have a hideous Victorian fireplace that I love and which looks great covered in decorations. Then of course my son is a very good cook...

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
My mum was never a great cook . My best friend once said I'm having a Christmas a la your mother, everything from Marks and Spencer. It was pretty much true. A couple of years ago we all went to my brother's for Christmas and he got everything in from Cook, the frozen food company. Mum didn't get it at all even though we explained several times, and wondered why we laughed when she kept on going on about 'compliments to the cook.'
This year with my brother so poorly and mum in a Care Home I'm hoping that I might actually spend the day in my own home. I have a hideous Victorian fireplace that I love and which looks great covered in decorations. Then of course my son is a very good cook...
I love Christmas & this year I’m going all out if I can - with the odd cheat or two !

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West

Mmm I need a resident cook too!

I will be buying from M&S this year so I won't knock it ;)....anything that just requires heating.

We'll see if mum manages to decorate our fireplace, a little more modern but looked good when mum used to put up her garlands and other stuff

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
When I was living in Abu Dhabi @Palerider - I was well accustomed to all things Christmassy being celebrated widely, despite being an Islamic country. What really amazed me was that several of the luxury hotels offered a 'Christmas Dinner Delivery Service' - so you could order a Turkey dinner with all the trimmings (plus crackers etc if required) to be delivered to your villa or apartment! We always came home for Christmas - but I thought it was a great idea for those who wanted a stress free meal.
Christmas when living in SE Asia - (as you can see I have been around a bit) - was an experience ....... but that's another story!!

Unfortunately the local posh hotel doesn't deliver - I would if I could.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Oh how lovely, make your life easy & pick up some M&S ( other brands available) lovely snacks. Also if you have an Aldi or Lidl near you the deluxe ranges are all premium brands! ( other discount stores also available!!!)

Yes it will be M&S this year, and I'll be ordering it for delivery. The spare freezer will come in use

Status
Not open for further replies.