A lifelong friend and me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
@Melles Belles @TNJJ and @DesperateofDevon I can only say the worlds gone mad!

Today the local suprmarket situation has escalated, as I stopped to purchase some cigarettes the guy from the butcher counter was leaving and said 'don't go in, there's nothing left to buy', out of curiosity I walked round -he wasn't lying. I just wonder where people put all of this stuff when they get home?? Not sure if mum was that bad at all for hoarding ?

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
My son-in-law went in to our local Sainsbury’s on Sunday and said the place was stripped bare, even all the freezers were empty. I called in at the local Co-Op around 7.00.p.m. yesterday and they had meat, veg, full freezers and chilled food cabinets. I even bought a Tiger Baguette although all their wrapped loaves were gone as well as the tp and kitchen rolls. The rest of the shop seemed reasonably well stocked although I didn’t look at everything, I only went in for blackcurrant cheesecakes!

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
My son-in-law went in to our local Sainsbury’s on Sunday and said the place was stripped bare, even all the freezers were empty. I called in at the local Co-Op around 7.00.p.m. yesterday and they had meat, veg, full freezers and chilled food cabinets. I even bought a Tiger Baguette although all their wrapped loaves were gone as well as the tp and kitchen rolls. The rest of the shop seemed reasonably well stocked although I didn’t look at everything, I only went in for blackcurrant cheesecakes!

Yes the freezers were empty as well. Good to know the Co-op is well stocked still.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Big thanks to @Jaded'n'faded for the tomato soup rescue and a few extras. Good job I picked them up after seeing the local supermarket being stripped bare yesterday.

Thought I was woring today but I'm not -good job I checked as its a long drive back if not necessary.

Talk of putting NHS staff in hotels close to hospitals to keep the service going when things peak -best pack a bag just in case

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
As Mother's Day approaches and I can't visit mum I have put together a rescue Mother's Day parcel, which I'll deliver on Sunday and helium balloon to boot. She won't remember her children but it will put a smile on her face thats for sure ;)
20200318_142121.jpg

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
That is lovely. I’ve organised flowers and chocolates for my mum, and if I can’t visit I think similar packages will be a really good idea.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Big thanks to @Jaded'n'faded for the tomato soup rescue and a few extras. Good job I picked them up after seeing the local supermarket being stripped bare yesterday.

Thought I was woring today but I'm not -good job I checked as its a long drive back if not necessary.

Talk of putting NHS staff in hotels close to hospitals to keep the service going when things peak -best pack a bag just in case
A pleasure :) Now you are both souped up and half baked... ?

And the kittens loved chewing your shoes :p??

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Here is an old memory the Scots Highlanders and how much I remember being piped up in the morning

And this was me back then, at the back
Sandhurst.jpg

Stand to......

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I do like your Mother’s Day parcel. The bees knees made me smile too. I will have to get creative tomorrow.
Glad you now have some food supplies and it sounds like a good idea for you to be accommodated near the hospital. If nothing else it would cut your journey time down.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
We've cancelled our planned pub meal for Mothers Day but I'll be going round to take her a hot meal instead. My daughter who lives locally will join us, she loves my homemade lasagna! I've been crocheting a blue and white circular lap blanket while at mums recently - I keep a bag of wool in my car for odd moments. Mum thinks it is Manchester City colours so I'm going to give her the blanket on Sunday.

Mum has been quite grumpy this week, she's had an upset tummy leading to, in her words, a sore bum when she sits down! So it was lovely today to hear one of her funny quips. I'd been for a cut and blow at the hairdressers in the morning and was telling my sister how quiet they had been. Mum was eating a cream cake, she looked up and said "Your hair looks nice" She then turned to my sister and added " You have to say that to someone who's been the the hairdresser whatever it looks like!" Thanks for the compliment Mum!

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
As Mother's Day approaches and I can't visit mum I have put together a rescue Mother's Day parcel,
Hi @Palerider, what a fantastic idea, I'm sure your Mum will enjoy that parcel. Good idea regarding the hotel, I hope you are faring okay in challenging times (on all fronts!). Take care of yourself.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I see some of the supermarkets are giving some priority to NHS workers now as well as the elderly/vulnerable. I hope it does help you out so you can keep helping the rest of us out

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Its the lull before the storm hits at the moment, but we have tested a considerable number so far, but results are taking days to come back.

So many people are quite brave and keen to get home, one elderly chap was asking if he could go home (not a well gentleman) -err no, stay overnight and we'll see how you go, was our response.

The shops have been a nightmare @Bikerbeth and as things hot up its going to be difficult to get items if people carry on panic buying, so good to know some shops will be helping us out.

Yes @Pete1 everything has come at once, but I have now put in a request for a reprieve from the LA and highlighted a few other things that were't quite right.

Back tomorrow and I am late home as it is. Will see what tomorrow brings.....

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
There was a film clip on the news tonight from a critical care nurse who had tried to buy some food at the end of her shift. She was crying while she spoke, begging people to think about people like her and stop panic buying. It made me cry as well. I haven't bought much extra as I prefer to shop most days for fresh food now I've retired. But now even the fresh food is disappearing! I cannot believe that this ridiculous panic buying is still going on, surely these greedy people have got enough now?

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
There was a film clip on the news tonight from a critical care nurse who had tried to buy some food at the end of her shift. She was crying while she spoke, begging people to think about people like her and stop panic buying. It made me cry as well. I haven't bought much extra as I prefer to shop most days for fresh food now I've retired. But now even the fresh food is disappearing! I cannot believe that this ridiculous panic buying is still going on, surely these greedy people have got enough now?

I think people are scared more than anything and its the sheep mentality as well -they follow one another!

Status
Not open for further replies.