A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Glad you had a good visit Sylvia, and Dhiren was more alert.

Interesting, isn't it....Eric always asks how did I find him, too.

Love xx

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The Consultant and CPN were at the home yesterday to see another resident.
The Consultant saw I was there and came into the sitting room.
`He`s fine , isn`t he?` he said.
And I agreed. He is.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
You have maintained this thread now for over three years, and what a road you have travelled!

It is difficult to see wood for trees necessarily when living it, but I see it as a textbook way to attempt - and succeed - to cope with such a very difficult disease in a loved one.

Good work! :)

thatwoman

Mar 25, 2009
Merseyside
I agree with Bruce! It's so lovely to read this and see how you cope. It makes me feel it's possible to get it right! Thanks Sylvia!
Love Sue x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thak you Sue. :)

I didn`t/don`t get it right all the time. I have made the same mistakes everyone makes as it`s all down to trial and error, but for now it`s better than it has been for a long time.

I know there`s a long way to go and life will probably become much more difficult for both of us in time, but I`ll face it when it comes.

My one bit of security is the manager of the home said Dhiren will be cared for there for as long as it takes.

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
That is good to hear Sylvia and that Dirhen will be able to stay in a home that obviousley suites him and you are happy with must be a huge relief to you, you have dealt with Dirhens illness in such a calm logical manner. i have such respect for you and look forward to reading your post A day------- for many years to come love Pam

twinone

May 19, 2008
england
Hi Sylvia

I dont post often but I always read your posts to see how Dhiren is.

I am pleased that he if 'fine' in the home and that you seem to be okay.

love
Janet

twinone

May 19, 2008
england
Hi Sylvia

Thanks for asking about me.

I will be 3 years in October since I lost my lovely Steve, there is not one day when I dont miss him.

I am still working full time - another 6 years.

I having been getting on with my life and go out with friends and family. I have also been on quite a few holidays with my sister.

My son has been brilliant, takes me out every sunday for dinner and he has also done a lot of work on my house, new bathroom, new kitchen - he's now started on the living room.

Somedays I find it hard and still get upset easily, but I have had to carry on and make a life for myself, I am sure Steve would want that for me - not easy but I try every day.

I am glad to see that you have made friends amd managing to have some sort of social life.

Love Janet

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Janet. It`s so good to hear from you.
You are doing really well even though you still feel the loss of Steve.
Your son sounds wonderful. xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Some good news today.
Dhiren is now on the lowest dose possible of antipsychotic Amisulpride. The 100gr per day has now been reduced to 25gr , just at night, so hopefully he`ll soon be weaned off the drug completely.
I think this is a case of a successful and very responsible use of an antipsychotic and I have the consultant to thank for this.

Not such good news.
He is coughing up some phlegm.
The manager phoned Dhiren`s new GP. The home is out of our area so he is with a new practice. To her delight, the GP visited Dhiren. He has no infection for now, but a course of anti biotics has been left for him, just in case.

I noticed he was slathering quite a lot today which made me worry his muscle tone is weakening further.
He wasn`t drinking much either while I was there. He refused more than a sip of blackcurrant juice, apple juice and tea.
I will have a talk to the manager when I go next as I do worry about his kidney function and dehydration, especially as he is diabetic.

Pleasurable news.
We had such a happy chair exercise session this afternoon. We were exercising to songs such as Que Sera, Sera, and Magic Moments and residents spontaneously began to sing while exercising. There were so many happy faces, it was a pleasure.

muse

May 27, 2008
Cambridge
Hi Sylvia

I don't post much any more, but I do follow your threads and some of the others who've become good friends. I wish I could see some of those happy faces while singing and exercising, and I'm really happy for you whenever you have something pleasurable to tell. I dearly hope that my husband has happy moments like this. The staff at his NH tell me he does.

I haven't seen my husband for weeks (because he doesn't want to see me unless I go to "fetch him home" and, of course, the longer that goes on the more I feel he doesn't miss me one bit, just his home and my/the carer's one-to-one attention), and I'm still torn between the voice that says I need to let go and rebuild a life for myself, and the one that nags me that I should be doing something. I'm just at a total loss as to what that "something" would be. My mind and emotions have gone dead when it comes to Philip.

I'm sorry, I probably should have started a new thread with this, rather than whine on yours.

Much love and a big hug - Kathy

Contrary Mary

Jun 11, 2010
Greater London
Sylvia, I do love the way you chronicle the ups and downs of life, and your good visits never fail to bring a smile to the face.

Just one thing.

Now I can't stop humming "Magic Moments":D:D:D

Mary
x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Mary

The chair exercises are every Wednesday. Come and join us. You can sing to your heart`s content.:D

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
Sylvia my dad sang magic moments every morning for 2 years as he walked me to school, he always began with i have a new song today but it always turned into magic moments, i used to love it so, thanks for making me remember. So glad the exercise class was fun and that Dirhen is having reduced meds is great news, . Just going for a soak the yoga teacher tried to get us doing the splits tonight, I am 60 now is she mad.needless to say i did not manage it and groin feeling a tad strange.Thanks for memories weve been sharing goodnight love Pam

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Oh Pam how lovely to be reminded of your dad singing Magic Moments. :)

Thanks Kassy. You are so kind to be thinking of us when you are so worried about your mum.

TP members are so supportive. :)

The manager phoned. Dhiren was moved to a new room today. A bigger room, because there wasn`t enough space for his hoist in his old room.
It`s a much nicer room with a bay window . I worried he might become more confused but phoned tonight and was told he was sleeping comfortably.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
The manager phoned. Dhiren was moved to a new room today. A bigger room, because there wasn`t enough space for his hoist in his old room.
It`s a much nicer room with a bay window . I worried he might become more confused but phoned tonight and was told he was sleeping comfortably.

Oh that is really good news Sylvia. I like to think of Dhiren in his bigger room with the bay windows. I expect he will benefit from the improved daylight. x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
We have just returned from an indoor, rained off Garden Party at Dhiren`s home, where Helen met Dhiren for the first time.

He was slightly confused by the hustle and bustle, by a table laden with Tombola prizes [ `Who is going to buy those?`] and by Helen playing toss the balloon with another resident, [ `they are both lunatics.`]. He asked several times when we were going home.

But he agreed to have his photo taken although he wasn`t too sure today. And I stayed with him in the quiet sitting room as the busy crowded party room was not for him.

He laughed at Helen`s jokes and sympathized when I told him Helen`s husband had died. And he was happy to let me leave to `take Helen to catch her train.`

Status
Not open for further replies.