A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

helen.tomlinson

Mar 27, 2008
And there's a fair amount of dignified too:)

I haven't done much either. I don't like days like these where I feel like I'm doing loads in my head but actually doing very little in reality! Did mow one of the lawns though. Spent hours trying to get some free prints ordered from Photobox and then realised I was going about it all the wrong way and once I sussed that it was easy. Wasted hours on it.

Alan is watching the golf and enjoying it which I am very pleased about.

Love Helen

helen.tomlinson

Mar 27, 2008
Hi Barb

You can come and hang your washing on my line cos it's as windy as hell here. I've got some strong, sturdy pegs so that your unmentionables don't get blown into next door's garden:D

Love Helen

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Helen

I might take you up on that one:)
Bloody weather:(
All has been well today.
Tomorrow, who know's.
Barb X & Ron ZZZ

Chrissyan

Aug 9, 2007
N E England
Oh yes, do write your book, the battles you had to be together & in life in general. You obviously have a knack for writing I always read this thread. I think bitter/sweet is the correct description for your mini blog on here.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
This is not for the Slimming Club Thread as Dhiren is watching his weight [a habit of a lifetime] but not on a diet.

He lost 5lbs whilst in hospital for 19 days. He couldn`t eat the food and was stressed out.
Once home he regained 2lbs.
But now he is losing again and is 2 lbs less than when he came home from hospital.
So in all he has lost 7lbs.

He is eating three decent meals a day but has stopped eating in between. I`m not unduly worried yet.

But he seems to be losing at quite a rapid rate, considering the amount he is eating.

Yesterday`s intake.

Breakfast.....A large bowl of Branflakes with skimmed milk.
A cup of hot milk.
12 0`clock....A tin of carrot and coriander soup.
Lunch.........2 eggs mashed with spring onions and butter
Dinner .......A fillet of trout, 2 new potatoes, mixed vegetables
Strawberries and natural yoghurt
At some time during the day, a banana and the juice of two oranges.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Sylvia:

I am really interested in this last post as I have been considering David's weight this past week. He has been eating well but I fancy he too is losing weight. Hard to weigh him myself as he cannot stand unaided. I did it with frame and he released his hand just enough to reckon 12 st. He was 13 1/2 st. pre hospital days.

Dhiren's diet sounds excellent. David's is similar with the exception of extra cakes and biscuits, although his demand for those has dropped.

Other than the normal health worries of weight loss, does it have any other meaning for Dementia sufferers?

Hope you have a good day.

Love Jan

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Sylvia,
But he seems to be losing at quite a rapid rate, considering the amount he is eating.

Could it be because Dhiren's blood sugar is better controlled?

Can't think of a reason for David's weight loss, Jan..unless he's losing muscle through inactivity.

I don't weigh Eric..he'd worry if he lost ..and fret if he gained..:rolleyes:..but I can see that his arms and legs are wasting....and his tummy is growing as he sits most of the time.

Love gigi xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Can't think of a reason for David's weight loss, Jan..unless he's losing muscle through inactivity.

Thanks Gigi. This might be the answer for Dhiren too. Even though he might be more active than David, he is far less active than he was , so has probably lost muscle too.

I don`t know enough about diabetes to know whether or not the better control is having any effect.

What did concern me is his dementia might be affecting the way he metabolises food, but I`d need to see a dietician who knows about dementia for that. :(

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Sylvia

It could well be that it's Dhiren's metabolism. People with dementia do begin to lose the ability to metabolise food.

John doesn't lose weight because he eats very well, and I take him in a lot of extras. But a lot of the people in John's unit are skin and bone, though they are all fed a high-calorie diet, and supplements given. And Connie has said that Lionel eats well but is skin and bone.

Dhiren's diet is very healthy, but low in carbohydrates; I'd suggest adding more, or giving him a supplement. You don't want him to get too low, or he'll lose mobility.

I'd also ask the CPN to get in a dietician, he has lost quite a lot of weight.

Jan, it might be a good idea for you to do the same.

Jane.B

Dec 7, 2007
Hampshire
I'm very interested reading the last few posts as Rupert lost a good bit of weight the last time he was in respite, and hasn't really managed to put it on again although he's eating very well and I've also been giving him suplements. He's goes into respite again the week after next, and I shall have to make it clear to the nurses that although sometimes he might say no to food, but if offered it on a spoon like you would a todler it is very nearly all eaten up.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
When we saw the consultant last Thursday he expressed concern. At the time I wasn`t concerned as I thought Dhiren was 11st. This morning he was 10st 11lbs.

So I shall monitor this and take advice. I can`t see him accepting supplements. He`s delighted he`s lost so much and asked if I was jealous.

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
My Dad has always been on the heavy side as long as I can remember (very slim as a young man but 40+ had a tendency to be overweight).

We have noticed that although he still eats very well (will basically eat whatever you put in front of him) he is a lot slimmer than he used to be. We are not concerned yet as he is still a healthy weight (I would guess around 13 stone and he is 6') but it is something we need to watch.

Going off the thread totally I have also noticed that he has a lot less body hair than he used to have. Whereas previously he had a hairy chest he now has no hair on his chest, but still has a full head of hair. I don't think he's secretly waxing his chest ;) but wondered if this was just old age or part of his condition. Anyone else experienced this?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Sue.

This weight issue is really interesting. It`s so good to be able to compare and discuss.

As for the body hair, Dhiren has been bald for a long time but still has a very hairy chest and hairy legs.

But I haven`t needed to remove underarm or leg hair for a long time, so perhaps it is age rather than the condition. :eek: :D

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Old age, I reckon, Sue!

John has lost the hair on his chest, though he still has a good head of hair.

As for me, I'm almost completely hairless, apart from my head. Even my eyebrows are disappearing!:eek:

Though that could be partly my thyroid deficiency!

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Quote : From gigi. Can't think of a reason for David's weight loss, Jan..unless he's losing muscle through inactivity.End Quote :

I think that must be the reason for Ron's weight loss. He is thinner in his legs' (lack of walking, and arm's, lack of use) but,tummy wise, still has a little belly:)
Ron eat's very well. He eat's more than me:)
But he has lost weight, went down from 12 and a half stone which has been his weight for year's to 11 stone 6, but now has stabalised at 12 stone 4 pound's.
Lack of exersise, muscle weigh's more than fat.
Barb & Ron XX

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi All

I'm interested in this weight issue too because Alan eats really well and he has been losing weight. He's gone from a 40 waist trouser to a 36.

He is very active so it can't be muscle waste. People have asked me about his weight before but I'm too scared to think about it really. He eats very healthily and should maintain his weight really.

Anyway Sylvia I'm going to take your idea and monitor his weight myself - good idea.

Love Helen

jude1950

Mar 23, 2006
Lincolnshire
Jim Too has lost weight. When he first went into a care home he lost about a stone and a half.

After moving to the second care home he still lost weight although he was eating better they thought it may have been because he was walking about all the time and did not sit for long.

Gradually he did put on a little of the weight he lost but seems to have lost a lot of muscle tone.

Before AD he was a very fit man and exercised often I used to say he had a "patrick Swayze Bum" ;) but now he has no meat on him at all except for a bit of a podge.

Judith

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
I'm very interested in the weight issue too..

Also the appetite..Eric has always had a sweet tooth..but recently it seems to be enhanced.

After one of his "big" sleeps he will wake up and say he is starving...and ask for cake or biscuits...:confused:

He also eats much larger meals than me..today with the family he had seconds of meat and veg and gravy..yet he had spent the whole morning asleep in his chair..

Mum and my son haven't seen him for 2 weeks...to them Eric seems more withdrawn,confused and uncommunicative.

It's over a month since my brother saw him...and he sees a sharp decline..mentally and physically.

Eric has spent the last 3 days in his chair..and at night in his bed..the last 2 nights he has thought that he hasn't slept..but either been dreaming or lying awake...he's not sure..
We sleep apart..I don't sleep well and do hear him muttering through the the night...
When he's up the TV is on constantly..old films..news..share prices on teletext..
He "watches" it with both eyes closed..or the right eye open,left eye closed..but isn't making sense of what he's seeing any more.

I haven't a clue what's happening here ...well..I probably do...

Another step down..

Love gigi xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Gigi

We know all forms of dementia are incurable.

We read of the experiences of others further down the line so we know roughly what to expect.

But as we witness the decline, we feel we should be doing something, we worry in case we have missed something, we doubt our own reasoning.

It is so hard to sit and let it happen.

Love xx

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Grannie G said:
we worry in case we have missed something, we doubt our own reasoning.

I'd add, we doubt the diagnosis too!

18 years in since first major symptoms, 10 years since diagnosis, 7 years since Jan went to the care home.

When I look at Jan she still looks very young compared to all the other residents at her home, her doctor says the length of her condition has now gone outside her experience.....

so I wonder.... I even wonder is it dementia?

Hope springs eternal, even when there is no hope...:(

Status
Not open for further replies.