A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Sylvia,

Sorry you've had another rough time with sundowning...bedtime is probably the worst time for it to start...

Hope you managed some sleep eventually.

I agree with you about the MMSE..it does make sense when you think about it...

Pity it was never explained in that way to any of us right at the beginning....by the people performing it.

Love gigi xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Chrissyan, Hazel and Gigi.

I came to bed at 5.30am but it still took a while to get to sleep. I`m just waking now, with a cup of tea.

This MMSE is only my theory but does seem logical. It`s a way of accepting it`s value at least. Particularly when all our sufferers seem to have such different scores and differing conditions.

C from the MHT is due this afternoon. I hope I will be awake.

Love xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
On a lighter note....

Dhiren went, by himself, for the papers this morning. It took him 40 minutes to my 20 and I must admit to feeling relieved when he returned.
He told me someone has pulled up while he was waiting to cross the road and asked him to buy a ring for £15, so she could buy petrol. When he refused, she offered it for £10, but he said it was rubbish and wouldn`t buy it.

Then I needed to go to the shops.
When I returned, he had vacced.
And then, for the first time in his life, decided to mop the floor.
The hall, bathroom, toilet and kitchen looked flooded. He was so relieved to see me. He didn`t know how well he needed to wring out the mop.

All the doors and windows are open and the floor is still drying.

At least he tried.

andrear

Feb 13, 2008
Yorkshire
HI Sylvia
You could have been writing about my dad, not Dhiren.
When he goes out on his own for the paper we are so relieved when he does finally come back.
And dad has a thing at the moment about mops. It started about 2months ago. Wet ones, dry ones, it doesn't matter. Mum and dad have bits of ornaments or should I say, had, sitting above the curtain rails. Dad decided to dust the other week, with a mop!! No more ornaments now!! But he never says a word, just leaves them where they fall. And if the mop is wet, then its a complete danger zone!
Love AndreaX

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
All the doors and windows are open and the floor is still drying.

At least he tried.

Now that does sound like positive mental attitude on your part :)

That what we need with this roller coaster ride, with living with a dementia seeing the negative positive moments of clarity Or not .

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Get me out of this fridge

That was Ron's cry last night. 2am, in bed, he woke me ,Barb get me out of this fridge, I calmed him, he wet the bed, had pulled off his sheath. So, took all bedclothes off, showered Ron put the washing machine on. Now, I have several ton's of wet washing hanging around the house. Very wet outside, not a drying day:(
Today, asleep a lot, tonight came alive.:confused:
I think I shall go mad , very soon, I need a holiday. With RonX

Barb XX

PS
No sympathy needed:)
Just good to get it out of me:)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Another successful home visit............

.....from C today. She really is being true to her word.

Dhiren likes her and is happy to have her in our house. He sits with us and is willing to be included in the conversation.
She is happy her input has been such a success and I make sure she knows how much she is appreciated.

I asked what type of stimulation and activities Dhiren receives at the day centre. Mainly it is one to one conversation, talking about his past life, his work, his interests. He reads the paper with his support worker and they discuss items in the news. He helps set the tables for lunch and hands out napkins.
In the afternoon they try to have a trip out.

He has become confused after lunch, both weeks, but is given time and support so is all right after a while.

Last week she mentioned the Alzheimers Cafe. I said I had wanted to go for a while, but there was no direct bus service and it would cost over £12 for a return taxi.

She discussed it at her MHT meeting and will take us both next week.

She has made such a difference.

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Dear Margarita

Carer's grant.:rolleyes:
Our teapot ( social worker) has not been seen since February.
Even so my Dear Margarita:) No room in our kitchen for a tumble dryer. And, more to the point, no money to pay for the extra electricity.
Thaank's anyway
Barb XX & Ron ZZZ

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
We are very excited.

A friend believes I have had an eventful life and suggested we collaborate to write my life story.

So that`s what we are doing.

I told Dhiren he can be the proof reader and the book will be dedicated to him. He is so excited, he said it has given him something to live for.

I would have liked the title to be `The good, the bad and the ugly`, but someone else thought of it first.

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Maybe something with "ups & downs" or "rollercoaster" in the title? :cool:

Yes, I think your friend is spot on - yours is certainly an eventful life. And we only know about the aspects of it which relate to Dhiren's illness, I bet there was a LOT going on it pre-dementia. :D:D

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
`The good, the bad and the ugly`,

Ah..but who would have been who?....:D

What a brilliant idea, though. There's probably enough on this thread for a book in itself!!!

Perhaps TPers can come up with a title for your book, Sylvia...

I've got my thinking cap on....;):D

Love gigi xx

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Wonderful - good for you Sylvia. BUT does this mean we shall see less of you on TP? I hope not. (Can I have autographed copy too?).

Love Jan

helen.tomlinson

Mar 27, 2008
Afternoon Sylvia

So pleased for you about C being more than you could have wished for. Dhiren deserves the very best that he can make use of whilst he is able.

As for the book, I think The Good, The Bad and the Ugly doesn't seem to fit my experience of you from my short time with T.P.
I would expect you to have a much more dignified title. It'll be interesting to see what happens, I bet you will get hundreds of suggestions. In fact maybe the suggestions would make a book in themselves:D

Love to you and Dhiren

Helen

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
What a lovely reaction

I`ve done nothing today except come on TP and concentrate on memories of the past.

I`m afraid Helen there`s been a fair amount of `ugly` in my life. It`s how the `ugly` is addressed that makes the story.

I`m not giving the game away yet I`ll keep you all guessing.;)

I`m really flattered you are so interested. It might even finish up as successful as the plays wot Ernie Wise wrote.:D

Love xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti