A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

helen.tomlinson

Mar 27, 2008
Hi Sylvia

I don't think it's making fun of Dhiren at all. I think it's making fun of the situation and don't forget you were part of it
:D:D

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
This morning...........
D `How long will we stay here?`
S `We live here.`
D `How much is the rent?`
S `We don`t pay rent, this is our house.`
D `Did we buy it?`
S `Yes.`
D `Where did the money come from?
S `From the sale of our old house.`
D `So it`s ours?`
S `That`s right.`
D `So no-one can chuck us out?`
S `Definitely not.`
D `What a relief. I know now........ How long have we been here?`
S `Five years.`
D `So we have known each other for five years?`
S `No. We have known each other for nearly fifty years.`
D `How can I forget that? I feel better now. I`m glad I know you. I`ve got Alzheimers, haven`t I? My memory has gone?`
S `Yes you have.`
D `But I don`t harm anyone or hurt anyone do I?`
S `No. You are kind and gentle.`
D `Well that`s all right. It`s coming back now........Do you work?
S `Looking after you is my work`
D `So where does the money come from?`
S `From our pensions.`
D `How much do we get?`
S `£xxx.`
D `So we are secure then.`
S `Of course we are.`
D `And Paul lives in Mancheater?`
S `No. Paul lives here. That`s why we came.`
D `What did he come here for?`
S `He came to work.`
D `I remember now. He has three children, G...,L....and H....`
S `That`s right.`
D `See. My memory is coming back now. My Alzheimers is getting better.`

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Morning Sylvia,

Have had a good chuckle at your antics with the table yesterday...:D

I see it's situation normal thismorning!!

Glad you had a laugh, though..I could almost here it coming through your post!!
Love gigi xx

Kate P

Jul 6, 2007
Merseyside
Hi Sylvia,

If only they could get better eh?

enjoyed your table fiasco!! As you say it's really only people who live with dementia who can see the funny side of these strange things.

Mum has a new "fad" (for want of another term) that had us in stitches last night - silent stitches as she wouldn't think it was funny.

My sister and her family always go for tea on a Tuesday and occasionally I take my family as well - the only problem is mum is stuck in a rut of what she will eat so every week they have spaghetti bolognese. I HATE spaghetti bolognese and being pregnant it's hard to choke it down. Anyway, dad had managed to cook something else (rice and chicken) so we all troop round for tea.

Just as dad's dishing out the food there is a commotion in the kitchen because mum is trying to put grated cheese over everyones food and is most disgruntled that we won't let her!! We managed to persuade her not to and explained that you don't eat cheese with rice. My dad lifted out the soy sauce and before we can stop her she's making a dash for the plates to cover everyones food in soy sauce - my sister managed to get the bottle off her after only a few meals had been coated! Come pudding time there is further commotion when dad finds mum pouring cream all over everyone's pudding - problem is he hadn't got it in the bowls yet!! He eventually got the cream off her and brought it into the dining room to leave on the table - he goes back into the kitchen for the commotion to begin again as she has found another tub of cream that she is trying to open to get on to everyones food. After tea she gets her box of chocolates (she insists on always having a box of chocolates now) and is trying to give them to us but is only trying to give us the ones she doesn't like!!! When we wouldn't take them from her (we didn't like them either) I found she'd sneaked outside and was trying to give them to the girls who were playing in the back garden!! Luckily managed to retrieve them in time!!

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Hi Sylvia and Kate

I think that it is only the fact that you can see the humour in the situation that allows you to go on at times.

Hope you are enjoying the sweets Sylvia and thank you for the virtual one!

Love
Mameeskye

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
There were 6 sweets in the box, each one different, each one about 2`` square, big and heavy, full of nuts and different flavours . ;)

We have eaten 3 between us. When I say between us, I say it `loosely`. ;) I cut then into quarters. Dhiren had one quarter, and I had 3 quarters. :eek: They were delicious.

Please note, this is `A life in the day......` and not the Slimming Club thread. ;)

Love xx

PS We have had no breakfast, nor have we had lunch. :D

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Sylvia and Kate: I have 'enjoyed' your funny stories - thank God we still find humour in our situations.

IF it were the Slimming Club I think you would be banned for at least 24 hrs Sylvia.

Even Slimming Club folk cannot be perfect all the time.

I am pleased that you and Dhiren have enjoyed those lovely sweets.

Love Jan

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
I thought twice about posting this as it does seem to be making fun of Dhiren. Now I`m not into that at all, and it is only here, with people who really do understand the ups and downs of dementia, that I felt secure enough to post.

Sylvia ... you know what? ... I've had the best laugh in what has been a difficult day - and guess what? A smile too - because it is so important to see you post with such humour ...... great for Dhiren, great for you ..... I know if I didn't explode with laughter from time to time - well I'd just explode!!!!!:eek::D

Karen, x

PS:
if they are laughing at us, they are leaving someone else alone
Is that a Lancashire saying? My mother always told me that? :cool:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
This morning he brought his shoes from the spare bedroom he uses as a dressing room into the main bedroom.
He was smiling...........
S `What is making you smile?`
D `I`ve found them.`
S `Your shoes?`
D `Yes.......... No-one will be able to steal them now.`
S `Who is going to steal them?`
D `The others.`

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Sylvia that conversation made me cry as it reminded me of Mum in the early days who was convinced that things had been stolen when she couldn't find them. :(

However I am so glad that Dhiren found them today.

Love

Mameeskye

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
He has had a bad day today. :(

This morning I found him shaking and rubbing/flapping his hands in the bathroom. He said he felt awful. weak, jittery, legs like jelly, very tired. It took him ages to get shaved washed and dressed.
I have had jelly like legs for a while and think I am viral. The family has had viral infections and I`m beginning to think Dhiren might have one too. He was relieved when I told him, but of course he forgot immediately afterwards, so it didn`t help for long.

Sundowning on and off since 2.30pm. I am so tired of hearing about Manchester, I am at screaming point. But of course I haven`t screamed, I have just distanced myself.

My granddaughter phoned to ask for some piano practice. She had bought the music of Phantom of the Opera. :) So I left Dhiren for 45 minutes and went there. He said he would be fine.
He was fine when I got back, even asked how it went and was very pleased.

But in alsmost the same breath began asking again when we can go to Manchester.

And it`s only 5 15pm. :(

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Oh dear, Sylvia....

What can I say?

The worst I have from Eric is that he seems to want to go out for lunch every day..and doesn't understand it's not practical..and he's easily put off..and of course not as mobile as Dhiren is..

Sending you love..
loveshower.gif

gigi xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Gigi.

He seems OK now and has been since about 8.30pm. Prior to that he was in and out of what I can only call normality. I could see the changes in his face.

I think he`ll be OK for the rest of the evening, but expect more of the same tomorrow. :(

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I think he`ll be OK for the rest of the evening, but expect more of the same tomorrow. :(

Famous last words. :rolleyes:

We have just spent he last 10 minutes looking for his wallet, for thr umpteenth time today.

I found it. It now has four rubber bands round it, it is in a plastic food bag and it is secured with a clothes peg.

Because Dhiren had already looked in that place and not found it, he is accusing me of planting it there.

Is paranoia creeping in. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman