A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Sylvia!

I think I posted earlier in the week about this..

Eric saw David Suchet in a live TV interview..

No way would he accept that was David Suchet..

David Suchet has a foreign accent..:eek:(as in Poirot)

Therefore he claimed the man being interviewed was an imposter!!!

Love Gigi xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
You don't think it might be more of a language problem: i.e. what he was trying to say is "what is that place (on the TV)?"

No Jennifer. A couple of times he has asked me if he is watching a play or real life. This is the first time he thought what he was watching was happening in our own town.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Yet another 'stage', something else to be aware of when trying to keep conversation flowing.

The dementia world is like a minefield. Some seem to tread an easier/safer path through than others.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences.

RAF1

Sep 29, 2007
TUCSON AZ
Quite a disturbing incident today.............

We were watching a programme about Lost tribes on the Discovery Channel...
D `What is this place called?`
S `Broadstairs.`
D `What kind of a place is this? I didn`t know people in Broadstairs go around naked.`

So he is now unable to differentiate between real life and televised life. :(
Sylvia: Early on Melva would see a TV program and would tell me that (at first) all of it was real life and real people instead of actors. Then later on she would point out which were actors and which were real live people....She is now past that and realizes that all of them are actors. However on a different note, now she claims that she was in Viet Nam and visited Senator McCain when he was in prison and she also claims to have treated (she is a retired nurse) a friend of ours when he was wounded in Viet Nam. She has never been to Viet Nam. As we all know, everyday is different.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you RAF.

Melva seems to have seen the characters in the programmes in reverse to my husband. How strange this condition is. Whenever we feel we might have a better understanding of it, something else presents itself just to prove us wrong.

CYN

Jan 4, 2008
east sussex
I was dressing my husband one morning while the tele was on and he thought they could see him and he was distressed.

Cynthia x x

RAF1

Sep 29, 2007
TUCSON AZ
Thank you RAF.

Melva seems to have seen the characters in the programmes in reverse to my husband. How strange this condition is. Whenever we feel we might have a better understanding of it, something else presents itself just to prove us wrong.

I know. I read a lot and comment very little but am constantly amazed by how much we all see in our patients that is listed on this board either before or after we see it at home.

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
Sylvia quotes:

We are never on our own with symptoms of this disease

Dee watches and relives for real both radio and televison programmes.

Have to keep telling her it's only make believe, but .............

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Thankfully so far David has not 'lived' the tv and radio lives.

Now he is so confused about our home. Today he thinks it belonged to his Mum and Dad and was concerned that we had the Deeds changed!!! It is so sad because we have spent 22 yrs getting this lovely place 'shipshape'. I mean hard graft and cash going into it!:eek: - it is hard to believe he does not remember all that which is so much part of our lives together.

Presently he is concerned cos he can hear vibrations yet again and rumblings! The tv is very loud and I can hardly hear anything! (Thank God for laptop! :)).

Love to all Jan

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I thought that as we have only lived here for 5 years, and Dhiren probably had Alzheimers before we moved, that was why he couldn`t get to grips with this being our home.

Cliff and Jan, however painful it is for you, it has helped me so much to know David and Dee have the same problem. Sorry if that sounds selfish. :eek:

Love xx

Kate P

Jul 6, 2007
Merseyside
Hi Sylvia,

I'm sorry you've reached a "new stage" again.

I think the suddness of changes is the thing I've found most difficult to accept.

One day mum could do something, next day she couldn't. No warning, no time to prepare yourself for it - just constantly living by reaction day to day.

Thinking of you and Dhiren.

Love

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you Kate.
This Stage is not yet constant, just at times. The difficulty is in knowing just when those times are.

I hope you are looking after yourself.
Love xx

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Sylvia:

Never would I think of you as being selfish. It is good to share our similarities but how I wish it were not necessary.

We have had grandchildren here this weekend - he can hardly cope and I know you have trouble with Dhiren on this score. I just hope we can persevere as I NEED to see them (my turn to feel selfish now).:eek:

So far so good today - hope that is not a premature statement.

Off to do some weeding - actually mowed the lawn last Friday. :)

Take care all Jan

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
Dear Sylvia,

The wonderful thing about TP is that you get to know people and their postings. No-one could possibly think of you as selfish.

I value your comments and usually am so sorry that I can't reach out and hug you after you have posted.

We need our friends here as life would be very bleak without them.

Love to you both,

117katie

Dear Cliff

Please, may I have a hug too? I value you and your postings, Cliff, even though I haven't responded to many of them. BUT I HAVE BEEN READING THEM. Which means I am here.

I had a very very bad day today ... just because I will not give up the fight, not for my Auntie Win, nor for myself and My Man John!

Tomorrow is another day, as someone once said. Bet you know who said that, don't you, Cliff??? Of course you do!

Love from
KATIE
PS. HOW IS TROT DOING?????

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
We need our friends here as life would be very bleak without them.

Hello Cliff,
That is so true...

Can you imagine how it was for people in our situation before TP..or support groups..

Maybe they had extended family around them..and expectations were different..but for some it must have been a VERY lonely life..

I've had a bad day..Eric's hasn't been wonderful...but we're here together..and planning what to watch on TV tonight...again..:eek:

AD is so predictably unpredictable...

Love Gigi x

117katie

Hello Cliff,
.but for some it must have been a VERY lonely life..

Dear Gigi

For some of us it still is a VERY VERY LONELY LIFE.

Through no making of our own, just the way it turns out for each of us, plodding this road.

Which is why Cliff is important to ME!!

KATIE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HollyK