A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
This morning things were better, I put all the clothes away and went to the Support Group by myself.

There was some resentment but he managed a kiss goodbye.

I arrived home to confusion.........the house was cold, he`d turned the fire off and the heating off, why I don`t know, and couldn`t put them back on again. Someone had phoned [me] and he couldn`t answer the phone [perhaps it was the TV remote he had been trying to answer].

But things are better today, thanks. :)

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
Oh Sylvia,

You are having a really difficult time.

If only those in high places who don't understand what caring is all about, could have an hour of your life........

Do hope it gets better or even just a bit different in the right direction for you.

Love to you,

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hello Sylvia,

Sorry you've been having a rotten time..Eric was a bit "strange" over the weekend but seems to have returned..I've been out most of the day ..but came home to find him looking anxiously out of the lounge window..(his sitter had been gone less than an hour..)

Eric:.."thank god you're home"

Me:.."Why..what's the matter"

Eric:.."I've looked in my wallet and I've only got one card"

Me..: " That's all you need"

Eric..: "But I used to have a lot more..they've been stolen..or I must have lost them.."

So I then have to explain the reason behind one card..one PIN number(which he keeps written down in his wallet next to his card..:eek:)..but then he never goes out alone any more..

And doesn't use his card..and doesn't understand money..any of it..he's trying so hard to hang on to things that were so familiar..and to some extent still wants to feel "in control"..the "man's role".

About an hour ago...

Eric:" Would you like me to take you out to dinner tonight?"..Oh it's so, so sad...

Sylvia..hope you've had a better day

Lots of Love Gigi xx

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Sylvia, I'm sorry to read these latest posts, but glad that you have managed to get through it all somehow. How was the support group? Was it any help?

Gigi, would it be impossible to go out to dinner with Eric? Even if it was something low key like fish and chips or a local cafe? It seems such a shyame to turn down an offer like that.:)

Love from Deborah

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Gigi, would it be impossible to go out to dinner with Eric? Even if it was something low key like fish and chips or a local cafe? It seems such a shyame to turn down an offer like that.

Hello Deborah,

I know what you mean...but

a) I have to drive..and am usually ready to flop come the evening

b)It's how things used to be..he is relieved not to go..it's cold,dark etc.

c)He had a huge meal at lunchtime when out with his "sitter"

d)It would have to fit in with TV..as he has this worked out for the day..

We do "do" lunch which fits in more with our way of life..

Going out for dinner in Eric's mind is a "getting dressed up and going somewhere posh"..that's the way it was!!!

Maybe when the nights draw out we'll do it again....:)

Thanks for your concern..I wish it was so simple..as it happened Eric enjoyed his pancakes!!!

Love Gigi xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Eric:.."thank god you're home"

Me:.."Why..what's the matter"

Eric:.."I've looked in my wallet and I've only got one card"

Me..: " That's all you need"

Eric..: "But I used to have a lot more..they've been stolen..or I must have lost them.."

xx

Snap, Gigi.

First the looking out of the window, waiting, Dhiren is so frightened I`ll have an accident and not come home.

And then the cards. :eek: He too is down to one, a credit card. But he hasn`t used it for ages as he forgets his pin and of course, he hasn`t been out. He lost his debit card and I phoned to cancel it and then he found it in his shoe. Don`t ask how it got there. :confused:

I`m going to echo Deborah. Couldn`t you let Eric take you out for Sunday Lunch?

Hello Deborah.

The support group was OK, but the people there seemed to have far bigger problems than I have. It did make me appreciate the benefits I`ve had from TP.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
I`m going to echo Deborah. Couldn`t you let Eric take you out for Sunday Lunch?

Thanks all...as I've explained..we do do "lunch"..but not dinner..there is a subtle difference in Eric's mind..lunch is "normal"..dinner is "special"..which is why it was so sad..because in Eric's way ..to thank me for sorting him out re credit cards....he was trying to thank me by inviting me out for "dinner"..as he would have done before AD as a treat..and we'd get "poshed up"..and he would drive and make it a special evening..

That was Eric..and today was a flash of the old Eric coming through..and that was lovely..but sad..

Love to all Gigi xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Perhaps when the weather is better and nights are lighter, you can still go out for a `special` dinner.

Lovely and sad, how true.

Love xx

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Perhaps when the weather is better and nights are lighter, you can still go out for a `special` dinner

I'm hoping for that, Sylvia..it's been a long winter for all of us..and I'm much luckier than many!!!

Hope you're having a "good" day today!!

Lots of love Gigi xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dhiren was finishing his dinner and I`d left the table. He shouted for me. I went into him and he couldn`t stand up. I thought he was going to pass out. I said I`d go for next door but he stopped me and we struggled to get him into the living room. He slept for 11/2 hours and is fine now. He said he didn`t feel faint, but couldn`t explain how he felt.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Sylvia:

We have had a few episodes similar to the one you have posted. It is horrible because we never know if it is the start of something more serious. So far, like you, there have been no obvious declines! I sometimes wonder if they are TIAs :confused:

This evening we had our pancakes! So I did a simple meal - quiche and salad and some prawns I had bought at Christmas. As he forked into a prawn he said 'which bit do I throw away?' he really meant 'can I eat all of this'. Then he said 'are they cooked?'. How strange from someone who has eaten out socially and entertained and should know exactly what to do with a prawn:eek:! We always have oranges and sugar with pancakes - and he seemed so confused as to what to do with it all.
Oh dear! I can hardly write this trivia into 'his diary'.

He is now heavily into a Dick Francis book - has read it umpteen times but its like the first time to him!

Hope your evening is ok and Dhiren is over the 'event' after your meal.
Best wishes Jan

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Sylvia,

How worrying for you. I don't wish to be radical, but could his turn have been non AD related? I have had congestion for the last couple of days and it has made me feel really light-headed.

Another suggestion (and I really am guessing here) is that I understand that after you have eaten, the blood leaves your brain and goes to your stomach to digest the food, and was the reason Margaret Thatcher never ate lunch before PM's Question Time. That might have caused him to become lightheaded.

Dhiren isn't on any anti-depressants is he? They did cause my Dad to fall if he stood up quickly.

I hope whatever it was is not serious. Good sign that Dhiren feels better now.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Oh dear! I can hardly write this trivia into 'his diary'.

I think you can Jan. It shows The state of confusion.

He is now heavily into a Dick Francis book - has read it umpteen times but its like the first time to him

It`s the same with Dhiren. He reads and re-reads his book about the Universe, and the print out I did for him about the new `baby` planet that`s 10,000,000 years old, and he tells me all about it as if it`s the first time he`s read it.

Dear Sue.
No, Dhiren doesn`t have congestion, but

Yes. Your `guess` about the blood leaving the brain and going to the stomach to digest your food is a good one. It was suggested by one of his doctors as a possible reason for his `lapses` after his evening meal, in particular because his diabetes will affect his circulation.

Yes. He is on anti depressants, which are sedative as well. I`d hate to have to go through the process of changing to a new one. This one, Trazodone has suited him so well.

Oh dear, I`ll just monitor him and seek medical advice if it happens again.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Well..Eric doesn't have diabetes..but reading what's been posted would explain why..
a)He almost always sleeps after eating..and
b)Can no longer tolerate large meals..

I can guarantee that his confusion is worse after eating...

Food for thought..if you'll pardon the pun..Thanks...

Love Gigi xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m going to try to give Dhiren 5 small meals a day instead of 3.
We don`t have enormous evening meals but they are always bigger than breakfast and lunch.

He is often a bit hungry, late afternoon, but waits for his dinner. Perhaps he gets too hungry. I`ll try afternoon tea and perhaps a later smaller dinner.

It`s so good to have people to compare notes with. :)

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
My Dad has always gone to sleep in the chair in the evening, but now wants to go to bed at 7 o'clock and my Mum struggles to keep him up. Very often she gives in but the problem is he is then awake and getting showered and dressed at 3 a.m.

Yesterday afternoon she took him for a haircut (he has been 'nagging' for a few days that he needed and a haircut, and he was right). She left him at the hairdressers while she did a bit of shopping and when she came back he was happily chatting with the staff. He was extremely pleased about his new haircut (not seen it yet but don't imagine it's any different from the haircut he's had for the last 70 years). When they got home he ate his meal and watched the football and what's more stayed awake.

At 10 o'clock he said 'Well I think I'll get off now' and my Mum said fine, thinking he was going to bed. Next minute he's got his coat on and is off through the front door! He told my Mum he was going home as 'I don't live here'. My mum managed to lock the door and said 'Oh you've forgotten one of your tablets' and gave him a valium. She managed to get him upstairs and in to bed and this morning he was fine. He has lived in the house for over 40 years.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Quite a disturbing incident today.............

We were watching a programme about Lost tribes on the Discovery Channel...
D `What is this place called?`
S `Broadstairs.`
D `What kind of a place is this? I didn`t know people in Broadstairs go around naked.`

So he is now unable to differentiate between real life and televised life. :(

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
You don't think it might be more of a language problem: i.e. what he was trying to say is "what is that place (on the TV)?"

Status
Not open for further replies.