A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Hazel and Kate.

But.........there is always a but..........

Just had a phone call from the GP with the result of his blood test. It shows his diabetes is not being well controlled. I was asked if he takes his medication properly and regularly and I can be certain he does. This time I knew not to take it personally.

So this might explain his increased tiredness.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Dear Sylvia,
I've only popped on TP very quickly the last few days as my nephew was visiting. Sorry to hear you were so unwell and glad to hear you're both much better today.

About language - it's been getting on to a year since my mother spoke more than one word. I guess it's been about two years since we've had anything resembling a real conversation. For her, it seemed that ability to speaking and comprehend went more or less together.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
Hello Sylvia,

So glad there's better news from you both.

Dee's ability to speak has declined dramatically over the last year.

If someone says "How are you" she invariably answers "All the better for seeing you" but other questions receive no or a whispered response that is hard to understand. But I believe she gives answers to simple questions during games at the Day-Centre.

Sometimes she tries to say something to me but it is a whisper and I cannot understand what she is trying to say. I try to ask questions to which Dee can answer yes or no but conversation has long gone.

If help putting on a coat displeases her, she repeats No, no, no, no.......

Sadly, all ability to read or draw has gone - sad because she was a talented artist and worked as a costume designer.

But that is how it has affected her and I am sure each individual declines and responds in a unique manner. And we can only watch it happening and be grateful for the little communication that survives - however, a hand-hold in bed says a lot.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you Cliff.

That `hand hold in bed` is your lifeline to remaining in communication. That it still means something says as much as many words.

I had a big shock this weekend at the breakdown in our communication> I am so grateful that, for the time being, it was illness induced and has proved to be temporary.

However much the constant questioning tries my patience, I will try never to forget when Dhiren didn`t understand that I needed a glass of water.

Love xx

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
I understand what you are saying Sylvia, it is hard.

Now that I am meeting other carers I will try to find someone caring for a sufferer whose first language is Welsh - lots of natural Welsh speakers here - and see how it has affected them.

Dee's mother and family were all Welsh speakers but they used English because her father was English and at the time, Welsh was frowned on.

Love to you both,

Last edited:

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Hi Sylvia

Just trying to catch up on the posts. Sorry to hear that you have not been well. I do hope that you are starting to feel better now.

As regards language:- when I lived on Skye I was told that a lot of the older people in the later stages of dementia reverted to the Gaelic of their childhood. This could cause some of the carers problems if they had no Gaelic. I think it is because there are different areas of the brain involved in language acquisition depending upon how and when you learn the language. Pre about 7 a different area of the brain is used to language learning at a later date. (The boys are in Gaelic Medium education although their mother tongue is English)

Fingers crossed that Dhiren does keep some English for you.

Mum probably lost spoken language first, then understanding. Even now she has enough language for a "no" (It's funny isn't it that is one of the first words children learn!) and if you get eye contact with a very simple direct question you can sometimes get an answer. However most of the time there is no understanding even now.

Curiously she can be quite coherent when she talks to her Angels and you can pick up quite a bit :confused:

Hope all is better this week

Love

Mameeskye

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I handed in my application with the reference today , Mum key worker at social service day centre said she do it for me .

I handed it in , then ask her what happen now ? she look at me said do you want to start now . so I said OK , just have to pop in bank then I'll came back .

My god I was amazed at the amount of clothes that had to be , tag with sizes then hang up , piles , piles of thing also the amount of good quietly of clothes the public give away , clothes shop also Gift clothes with they tags on , so the public know they have not been worn before . which is good because the better quietly of clothe the more money for them The books they had they could open a book shop .

I am doing voluntary work for the British heart foundation , because it very close to my heart as my father had a heart attract then a stroke then another heart attract that killed him , now I know how heart attract , stroke can lead to VD . I just like to raise more money for more awareness for it , yes the awareness I never new , back then when my father passed away .

I can just pop in and do any hours I like on what every days I like , which is great as I have no stress as if I was in a paid job , while still caring for mum so can work around her hours at day centre .

Last edited:

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Good for you, Maggie...

:):) That sounds perfect, Maggie!!

Good for you..I bet you'll be running the place before you know it!!:D

Love Gigi xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Well done, Maggie!

It sounds perfect, if you can work whenever you are free. I hope you continue to enjoy it.

Love,

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Dear Margarita,

I would also like to congratulate you on choosing to do work for the Heart Foundation. Heaven knows these organisations need all the help they can get.

I'm sure you and all, will enjoy working together great you can choose your own days and times this will work well in your favour.

Hope you find it rewarding. Love Taffy. :):)

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Grannie G said:
Just had a phone call from the GP with the result of his blood test. It shows his diabetes is not being well controlled.

Dear Sylvia,

A friend of mine was a diabetic and if she ever was poorly her sugar levels were hard to control and it usually took a week or so to get the levels back under control. Maybe, this could be the case with Dhiren, especially having dementia as well, as that alone makes recovery even slower.

Just a thought,

Love Taffy.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Taffy.

The dementia might be having an effect on the diabetes, Taffy, but I haven`t been told. It is logical that as he is declining health wise, losing mobility, looking older and much more frail, seeming to tire so easily, his organs will be losing their efficiency.

It was at the surgery, waiting for the blood test, that Dhiren seemed to pick up the bug. So as far as I know, he would have been infection free when the blood sample was taken.

Love xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
This morning...........

D `When are we going home.`
S `We are home.`
D `Good. I don`t want to go anywhere.`

Then........
D `What is this place called?`
S `Broadstairs.`
D `I keep forgetting. How long have we lived here?`
S `Five years.`
D `Five years? I can`t believe it. This is our permanent home now isn`t it?`
S `It certainly is.`
D `Where did we come from?`
S `Bury/Manchester.`
D `We are staying here now.`
S `Yes we are.`
D `Good. Now we can save for a holiday in China. `

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I can't believe it ! I suppose I can really knowing myself , but that post I posted about the charity work . I thought I posted it in " how as your day been * I went into that thread and could not find it . Then went looking for my last post and found it in hear lol .

Anyway
Last night............
D `I`m losing my language.`
S `What do you mean?`
D `I`m losing my English.`
S `You are speaking in English to me, now. I can`t understand Hindi or Bengali. If you didn`t speak English I wouldn`t know what you were saying.`
D `Are you sure? What a relief.

That sounds very interesting , only because " D " saying " I`m losing my language "

My own observation from my mother , and myself I wonder if " D " is now Thinking in own native language .

When someone can speak 2 Languages and English is not they first Language they main thinking, talking to themselves is done in their 1 st. language in the brain ( if you get my point ) .

where with I , my thinking self talking is done in English . My mother thinking talking self - taking is done in Spanish, as she was never into learning the english language as my father did .

My mother had stages that she would talk to me only in Spanish and to her grandchildren , but with promoting and reminding her what she was doing , she would go back into talking in English .

Amazing really that " D " aware what is happening to himself, as I wonder if his thinking to himself was done mainly in English Like mine is .

But now all his thinking self talk is done mostly in his fist language , his worried about it , because he must know that you won't understand what his saying if he did . so his telling you it , but in the wrong way .

I would not worry about it , just reassure him , that if it did happen your just prompt him to talk English

my mother is in a later stage then " D " she slip back into talking Spanish . but when prompted she talk in English , what helps I would think is " D " hearing lots of people around him still talking in English . TV. radio , family .

My mother was never aware she was doing it to tell me what was happening , where with " D " his aware of it so share it with you.

PS

its a shame really that they not a club you could take him to so he could speak Hindi or Bengali.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.