A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you win, it`s lovely to hear from you.

I appreciate your suggestions and would be the first to use them if I didn`t feel capable of defending my own corner. However I have quite strong feelings individual , personal, formal complaints might carry more weight than representation by others.

If the powers that be were inundated by every individual experiencing what they dismiss as tabloid headlines, they might appreciate the levels of malpractice in the NHS.

I do wish you well in 2014.

NanLorac

May 14, 2012
Scotland
You and Keith have had an awful time with our caring NHS. How many people are going through this every day. I am glad you have written a letter because this is the only way things will change.

I got my hand book from work and read up on carers changing their hours and how the management are willing to support their staff. Not the treatment I got :(, I ended up off with stress before I got my hours changed. I am taking this up with the union and the carers network in the new year.

I hope you get a smile from Dhiren today.

Carol x

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Oh Sylvia I missed your thread, I am so sorry. The hospital experience sounds dreadful, and the reality is there are not enough nurses, with enough time to make hospital truely dementia friendly. How utterly short sighted of the ward manager not to allow you to find your own solutions, just being there, to make sure he was cared for. You were saving them time and funding not costing them.

Yes I understand people on the ward are ill but are were hardly bringing in a gaggle of toddlers.

Good luck with your complaint, it's' definitely the right way forward.

angecmc

Dec 25, 2012
hertfordshire
I too have just caught up on your thread Sylvia, what a terrible time you and your poor husband have had, it makes me so angry, we keep hearing from our wonderful government:rolleyes: that they are making sure funding is in place and awareness of dementia is being highlighted, but when we read stories like this concerning the one set of people who should already be dementia aware it is very worrying, I would suggest that instead of bleating on about dementia friends, they should start with hospital doctors and nurses and get these people up to speed. Our relatives have already lost most of their dignity without being subjected to this sort of treatment from people who definitely should know better. I really hope things improve for you both and thankyou for writing this letter of complaint with not just your lovely husband in mind xx

Ange

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The letters will be going off today by recorded delivery .

Meanwhile I emailed a copy to the Home and to the LA CQC Compliance Inspector who I met at the home and who invited me to contact her with any concerns.

I had a reply from her this morning . She will pass my letter on to the inspector who deals with the Trust.

It`s a start.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
It`s a start.
Well let's hope it moves way beyond this starting point, Sylvia, and that something actually improves. Good luck with it and well done with getting things off the ground so quickly whilst it is all fresh in not only your mind but also in the minds of those concerned in the hospital.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Phone call from the home. Dhiren has another infection .

The GP was called out and he is on another course of ABs .

Also they are worried he has lost 5.7kg since being weighed last month. He hasn't regained his appetite since he had pneumonia and is not drinking enough. So he is now being fed on Complan and his drinks will be thickened.

I haven't been able to go for a couple of days because I have had some eye problems but I'm all right now .

I'll know more tomorrow when I see him.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
So Sorry to hear this Sylvia.

My thoughts are with you. I can only imagine what what is going through your mind. I hope you can get to see him soon so you can "see for yourself"

I know we say we have an acceptance, but if you are like me in a little way, we may say it, but don't always mean it.

You are an amazing person. You have such clarity and sense when talking to me, I'm sorry I don't seem have your skill when talking to you.

Thinking of you xxx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh Sylvia. I so sorry to hear about Dhiren's latest infection. I do hope the ABs kick in soon. Glad you're ok and wishing you continued strength. Xx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
Dear Sylvia, so sorry to hear about the worries of Dhiren's health. I hope the AB's kick in and you are able to visit soon x

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Oh I am so sorry Sylvia. I thought Dhiren was on the mend now. Thank goodness the care home staff are so quick to identify problems, so hopefully the A/B s will act quickly (again). I am glad the drinks are to be thickened as I believe Dhiren will happily take these from a spoon, especially if its a sweet tasting fruit juice. With David we had to keep a record of how much he took each time and this was totalled daily. It really made a difference with the carers as they had to ensure he was taking enough daily.

Hopefully you will be able to see Dhiren again soon, but please take care yourself as the weather is lousy.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I am so sorry that Dhiren has another infection. Is it his chest again?
What a worry for you, it seems to be one thing after another lately for you.
I do hope that the ABs have a speedy effect and that Dhiren improves quickly.
I wonder if the infection didn't clear totally and that may be why his appetite hasn't picked up since the pneumonia. I will be thinking of you and hoping Dhiren turns a corner shortly.

I hope your eye problems are clearing too. XXX

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you all so much. I'll be going tomorrow so I'll be able to see for myself. I have a feeling for the first time ever, we're approaching the end of the road.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Thank you all so much. I'll be going tomorrow so I'll be able to see for myself. I have a feeling for the first time ever, we're approaching the end of the road.

Oh Sylvia. My thoughts are with you both. xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

sallyc

Aug 20, 2008
suffolk
So sorry to hear that Dhiren's poorly.

As you say, you'll be able to make a better judgement when you see him. It's hard knowing they're ill and not being able to see for yourself.

Take care Sylvia.

Thinking of you xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah R