Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Expert Q&A: Living well as a carer - Thurs 29 August, 3-4pm

As a carer for a person living with dementia, the needs of the person you care for will often come before your own. You may experience a range of difficult emotions and you may not have the time to do all the things you need to do. Caring can have a big impact on both your mental and physical health, as well as your overall wellbeing.

Angelo, our Knowledge Officer (Wellbeing) is our expert on this topic. He will be here to answer your questions on Thursday 29 August between 3-4pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

A life in the day of.........................

Discussion in 'I have a partner with dementia' started by Grannie G, Jun 4, 2007.

1. larivy

larivy Registered User

Apr 19, 2009
    essex
    glad that most of your visit was good shame about the sundowning
    of course his a lovely man he has a lovely lady as his wife
    love larivy

2. Jo1958

Jo1958 Registered User

Mar 31, 2010
    Yorkshire
    Sylvia, hi
    What an amazing life this is, kindness given without expectation of thanks or appreciation by a volunteer can have such emotional responses depending when or if it's brought to light. I am so glad that this happenstance has brought you knowledge of Dhiren's friend and admirer. Better now than never.
    Take good care of yourself, with kind regards from Jo

3. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    This volunteer had had a husband and mother at the same assessment unit at different times. She had such a high opinion of the unit she volunteered after her husband died.

Some of the patients in the unit were intimidating and even though all staff seemed lovely, it was difficult to feel the atmosphere as anything other than daunting. Dhiren was terrified half the time and we were devastated for him.

I think the professionals perhaps take too much for granted, assuming relatives know and understand what is happening, when the reality is a bit of an introduction to the units might help ease doubts and fears.

4. mulhuis

mulhuis Registered User

Mar 27, 2009
    Kent
    From the 7th of February the local services have been re-organised and the community manager will take over inpatients as well. This means the current modern matron moves to a new post else where in the Trust. I think this will be an excellent opportunity to address the comments in your last post which are very valid. I shall make it my task to speak to Madelaine about better informing people about the unit and the illness in general. Thanks for raising this and yes I agree sometimes we old pros take things for granted and need a gentle reminder that not all folks are as well informed. xx

5. Grannie G

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Thank you. That is most reassuring. :)

6. Grannie G

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Dhiren has another chest infection.
    He was fine yesterday but the carers heard his chest `rattling` when they moved him last night. The GP was called out this morning and he is on another course of ABs.
    He isn`t too bad but his confusion is increased.
    The deputy manager came to tell me and then one of the owners came down to reassure me.

I offered the deputy manager a copy of Compassionate Communication, saying it might help in the traiining of new staff. She accepted it gratefully .

7. Jo1958

Jo1958 Registered User

Mar 31, 2010
    Yorkshire
    Sylvia, hello
    Thinking of you and Dhiren tonight and sending my best wishes to you both, take good care, Jo

8. Grannie G

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Thank you Jo.

9. Helen33

Helen33 Registered User

Jul 20, 2008
    Hi Sylvia,

I am very impressed that the home take immediate action rather than 'waiting to see how things develop'!!! Speedy action can make all the difference with regard to infection and I just hope that it clears up quickly.

I have sent that Compassionate Communication to a care home owner who was interested as they are very hot on training. He does a lot of training himself. When I next see him I will ask what he thought.

Love

10. Grannie G

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Thanks Helen. I can`t fault the home.

11. burfordthecat

burfordthecat Registered User

Jan 9, 2008
    Female
    Leicestershire
    Sylvia

So to hear that Dhiren is poorly. Sounds as though the CH have been very proactive which is good to read.

Hope the ABs kick in soon and Dhiren is feeling much better soon.

Love Carina x x

12. nellbelles

nellbelles Volunteer Host

Nov 6, 2008
    leicester
    Sylvia

Must be reassuring that nothing gets missed at the home.

Hope Dhiren soon feels better.

13. Grannie G

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Thanks Carina.
    He wasn`t uncomfortable, just quite tired and very confused.
    A friend sent a text and told me to give his hand a special squeeze for her. When I told him, he smiled and said `Ah!. She`s got a good heart.`

14. maryw

maryw Registered User

Nov 16, 2008
    Surrey
    I hope Dhiren recovers soon xx

15. Grannie G

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Thank you Mary. :)

16. cragmaid

cragmaid Registered User

Oct 18, 2010
    North East England
    Sylvia,
    ... Your Dhiren did not deserve the illness he has been given but he and you have been fortunate in the care he recives at the CH. You give him love and support and you give us all the same..one good deed etc. I am a great believer in kharma.Thank you and I really hope that the ABs kick in quickly. Maureen.x.

17. Grannie G

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Oh Maureen. What a lovely comment. Thank you. :eek: :)

18. susiesue

susiesue Registered User

Mar 15, 2007
    Herts
    Sorry to hear Dhiren is unwell Sylvia - I wish him a very speedy recovery.

Love

19. Grannie G

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Thanks Sue. xx

20. LuLu1969

LuLu1969 Registered User

Jan 28, 2011
    Cheshire
    Hey Sylvia, I have only signed up this evening, but have been browsing for a while now and I have been touched by yours and Dhiren's story. You come across as incredibly strong, and I wish you both the best for whatever the future holds for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.