A HOT TOPIC ?

Bioonetoten

Dec 25, 2019
Hi I recently joined talking point to inquire on behalf of a late stage friend who experienced profuse fever like sweating one night after not being at there best for a few days, they seemed much more there usual self when the new radiator was turned down.
I understand from other posts that Dementia people are very sensitive to cooler or warmer temperature either side of a narrow range so now wondering how common it is for Dementia people to have fever like episodes that fade away when room temperature is adjusted.
It seems the new radiator had been set to high out of concern when the weather turned colder.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I've never seen that particular problem, Biooneten. My partner has vascular dementia and is always cold, even in summer. She also sometimes complains of being cold and when I touch her she is warm. I have read that it is an inability of the brain to regulate temperature which may be the problem for those living with dementia.

Bioonetoten

Dec 25, 2019
Thanks nae sporran for very helpful reply because I am not yet sure if my friend has vascular dementia or another,I will gently inquire further asap

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
To be honest I think most people, whether they have dementia or not, would likely experience profuse sweating at night if the room is far too hot - I know I do! My Mum used to say that she felt cold all the time - the important thing is to watch that too high a room temperature or too much clothing doesn't result in dehydration so fluid levels need to be monitored to avoid this.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Hi @Bioonetoten and welcome,

On a handful of occasions my husband had night sweats but it seemed to be due to the fact that his brain/body was unable to regulate temperature as efficiently as it used too.

He could be freezing in a heatwave and overheating when everyone else was shivering. In our case the night sweats were not the result of radiators being on - we never had any heating on overnight and the bedroom window was usually open, providing suitable ventilation.

I didn't notice that it followed a particular pattern or that he had been off-colour at all before one of these episodes - they just occurred randomly every now and then. He would sleep through them but his head and shoulders in particular would soak the pillow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa