A good day

marymary1898

Hi All,
Just wanted to share.

It's over two years now since mam's first appt. at the Memory Clinic. Last month she was finally diagnosed with dementia.

Anyway, one of the biggest problems has been mam's depression and reluctance to go anywhere or do anything. The lovely psychologist at the clinic has been helping and my daughter started taking mam out for coffee once a week.
This week she started a "Cognitive Stimulation Therapy" group and has been twice. She thoroughly enjoys it.

So, the good day. I've been trying for months to get mam to go shopping. She needs new underwear and there are certain things I cannot buy for her without her trying them on, if you get my meaning. Today I rang and asked if she fancied going shopping. "Ooh yes, that would be lovely" she says. who is this bright, cheery person? She sounds like the mam I knew but thought I had lost!
Picked her up an hour later, went shopping, made an appt. at the hairdressers, called at the bank...........wonderful

Don't get me wrong, the memory problems and confusion are still there (and getting worse every day) but mam is happier and more engaged with life. It's wonderful to see.

So, a good day yes?

Mary
X

marymary1898

Thank you for sharing that mary. Its good to hear good news :)[/

Good news is often in short supply eh?! Grab it while you can!

Just wanted to show that, for some, a bit of the right help and some effort and persistence, things can get better, even if only for a while
While mam's dementia is certainly worsening, her mood, demeanour and outlook on life have all changed for the better, for now.
It's a blessed relief lol

Mary
X

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Enjoy every good day Mary as I am sure your mum is as well:) may you and mum have many more happy days, thank you for sharing this:p
Chris x

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
So pleased to read of your lovely day, this morning. A really pleasant surprise for you both and a good memory for later. Needed something positive to get me going. Thanks

hariyaksh

Aug 26, 2015
Hi All,
Just wanted to share.

It's over two years now since mam's first appt. at the Memory Clinic. Last month she was finally diagnosed with dementia.

Anyway, one of the biggest problems has been mam's depression and reluctance to go anywhere or do anything. The lovely psychologist at the clinic has been helping and my daughter started taking mam out for coffee once a week.
This week she started a "Cognitive Stimulation Therapy" group and has been twice. She thoroughly enjoys it.

So, the good day. I've been trying for months to get mam to go shopping. She needs new underwear and there are certain things I cannot buy for her without her trying them on, if you get my meaning. Today I rang and asked if she fancied going shopping. "Ooh yes, that would be lovely" she says. who is this bright, cheery person? She sounds like the mam I knew but thought I had lost!
Picked her up an hour later, went shopping, made an appt. at the hairdressers, called at the bank...........wonderful

Don't get me wrong, the memory problems and confusion are still there (and getting worse every day) but mam is happier and more engaged with life. It's wonderful to see.

So, a good day yes?

Mary
X

This is such a good post. I like the optimistic attitude that even though you are aware of the problem, you still look at it with a positive attitude. I hope one day I could see things the way you do.

looviloo

May 3, 2015
Cheshire
Ahh, I really enjoyed reading about your good day! It's days like that we need to hang onto and remember, and hopefully look forward to more in the future :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti