1. marymary1898

marymary1898 Registered User

Hi All,
    Just wanted to share.

It's over two years now since mam's first appt. at the Memory Clinic. Last month she was finally diagnosed with dementia.

Anyway, one of the biggest problems has been mam's depression and reluctance to go anywhere or do anything. The lovely psychologist at the clinic has been helping and my daughter started taking mam out for coffee once a week.
    This week she started a "Cognitive Stimulation Therapy" group and has been twice. She thoroughly enjoys it.

So, the good day. I've been trying for months to get mam to go shopping. She needs new underwear and there are certain things I cannot buy for her without her trying them on, if you get my meaning. Today I rang and asked if she fancied going shopping. "Ooh yes, that would be lovely" she says. who is this bright, cheery person? She sounds like the mam I knew but thought I had lost!
    Picked her up an hour later, went shopping, made an appt. at the hairdressers, called at the bank...........wonderful

Don't get me wrong, the memory problems and confusion are still there (and getting worse every day) but mam is happier and more engaged with life. It's wonderful to see.

So, a good day yes?

Mary
    X

2. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    Thank you for sharing that mary. Its good to hear good news :)

3. marymary1898

4. chris53

chris53 Registered User

Nov 9, 2009
    London
    Enjoy every good day Mary as I am sure your mum is as well:) may you and mum have many more happy days, thank you for sharing this:p
    Chris x

5. poster

poster Registered User

Dec 28, 2011
    I like to read about good success stories. Hope it continues

6. marymary1898

Thanks Chris, we will

Mary
    X

7. marymary1898

Always good to hear something positive eh?

Many thanks and good wishes to you

Mary
    X

8. Shedrech

Shedrech Volunteer Moderator

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
    So pleased to read of your lovely day, this morning. A really pleasant surprise for you both and a good memory for later. Needed something positive to get me going. Thanks

9. marymary1898

You're more than welcome

Mary
    X

10. marymary1898

Yes, always gives a lift doesn't it

Mary
    X

11. Slugsta

Slugsta Registered User

I'm glad your mum had a good day. Here's hoping it is the first of many :)

12. hariyaksh

hariyaksh Registered User

Aug 26, 2015
    This is such a good post. I like the optimistic attitude that even though you are aware of the problem, you still look at it with a positive attitude. I hope one day I could see things the way you do.

13. looviloo

looviloo Registered User

May 3, 2015
    Female
    Cheshire
    Ahh, I really enjoyed reading about your good day! It's days like that we need to hang onto and remember, and hopefully look forward to more in the future :)